How to fix Nikon 18-200 creeping to take a shoot ?

mmene

Thanks to all of you for your useful comments in my previous question about

18-200 creeping but I believe it would be easy for Nikon to put an extra

mechanism to lock in every position if you want to. I cannot believe that if I

decide positioning my camera in tripod with shooting angle more than 45deg I

have to use tapes to fix the lens. It is ridiculous for a Nikkor lens. So I ask

practically, how can I take a shot like this with no tapes?

A better dampening mechanism simply costs more money, which is the one in the 18-200 isn't great. Try this: get a wide rubber band (like 1/4 inch) and put it around the lens so half of the band is on the zoom ring, and half of it is on the lens body. This might cover up some of the focal length markings however.

I am sure Nikon could have added a lock to the zoom mechanism, but this is designed to be a hand held, so called "walk around" lens and that is why there is VR. A lock is going to slow things down and add complexity. The wide rubberband seems to be a simple fix for those who need to use this lens on a tripod.

My first-generation 80-200mm/f2.8 AF with push/pull zoom creeps too. I never thought that was a big deal.

How can ANY lens not be meant to be used on a tripod? If that were the official answer from Nikon you'd have to wonder if they had lost their mind! As anyone who shoots landscapes knows, even when you have VR you will need a tripod to get the DOF you want (ever taken a shot AFTER the sun went down?). I think Nikon was just cheap. They absolutely should have added a zoom lock to that lens.

Hashim says "I'm told VR lenses are not meant for tripod use." Not true at all. What IS true is

that you should turn VR off when you use this lens on a tripod, as it may introduce blur into

the shot, trying to compensate for movement that isn't there. That's all.

However, I've forgotten to do that on at least one or two occasions and the photos came out

quite nice anyway.

I agree with Juergen and thanks all of you for your helpful comments. It is areal good lens and I tested it with 18-70, 50/1,8, and I feel pity for Nikon. Finally I decided to stay with it but this is the last time I trust reviews and specially Ken Rockwell. From now and then I trust only me.

> Meneklis: ... this is the last time I trust reviews and specially Ken Rockwell. ...

remember, what Rockwell writes is *opinion* ... yes, he does provide some technical information, but for the most part, he's providing opinion. (and sometimes contradicts himself).

read his opinion ... and be sure to read the opinion of others and see what the consensus is (if there is consensus). get your hands on the product and test it out (if you can), so you can draw your own conclusion.

regards, michael

I have a similar lens to Shun's first generation 80-200 f/2.8, maybe the same one that has push pull, but that lens weighs about 4lbs???

This 18-200 VR lens its light! I have an earlier serial number, Made in Japan, and it is a little tight, so there is no creep, it has loosened up since I have been using it more, but does not creep. I think Nikon changed something along the way in their production line to cause the creep, and it could have been to loosen up how tight it is...

The first-generation 80-200mm/f2.8 is heavy because of its metal construction and big front elements, which don't move during zooming, at least they don't move much. In that lens, zooming is via the elements in the middle and the overall external lens length doesn't change from zooming.

In comparison, the 18-200 is light because of its mainly plastic construction. Since it is a 11x zoom, its front telescopes out a lot when you zoom to 200mm. Nobody should be surprised that it creeps. Moreover, construction-wise, it is on the weak side. If you drop it while fully extended, it can easily break. I have mentioned that a friend of mine has a 80-400mm VR zoom which has a similar construction. It broke in half from a short drop.