How to export LR4 images so edits can be seen in Bridge CS5

<p>I have been working on images using LR 4 and want to see the edits on Bridge, I have tried exporting them as RAW CR2 files with xmp files but Bridge will not see the edits. I exported them as DNGs with the same result.<br /> I know I can export to JPG files with the edits and TIFFs but I may want to edit these files as CR2s using Photoshop.<br /> I prefer Bridge anyway as I have been getting into difficulties with LR4 as I'm using 3 different computers one for the road , another at home and one in the office . I use several external drives for storage and Bridge works fine for this. <br /> When I export the LR edited files to my main 2 TB drive from my mac-book I cannot see the edits in Bridge CS5. I really like this new version; but I am getting so frustrated with this problem I might have to abandon LR yet again (Ive tried 2 previous versions and gave up).</p>

<p>Thanks Eric for the advice; I had not done this;on this catalog; but it has not made any difference when I exported again! I'm still having to waste more time having to re-edit 2-3000 files' or save as JPGs . TIFFs are not an option as files are 120mb each.</p>

<p>Eric, Dave is asking about *exporting*. Most likely you're stripping metadata when you're exporting.</p>

<p>Or are you just trying to edit LR-managed files in Photoshop? If so, use Lightroom's built-in Edit in Photoshop function.</p>

<p>Or perhaps you're trying to do what Eric is guessing you're trying to do -- just open the files directly in Bridge. In this case, don't export, just save metadata as Eric suggests, then open the files directly from Bridge.</p>

<p><strong>"Eric, Dave is asking about *exporting*"</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

I inferred differently; <em>"I have been working on images using LR 4 and want to see the edits on Bridge".</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

This is a common request as the LR default is not set to this and most users find out the hard way. Right clicking on the folder like I instructed forces the edits that are stored in LR's data base to be written to the xmp file and should be seen in Bridge.</p>

<p><strong>"Eric, Dave is asking about *exporting*"</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

I inferred differently; <em>"I have been working on images using LR 4 and want to see the edits on Bridge".</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

This is a common request as the LR default is not set to this and most users find out the hard way. Right clicking on the folder like I instructed forces the edits that are stored in LR's data base to be written to the xmp file and should be seen in Bridge.</p>

<p><em>"Or are you just trying to edit LR-managed files in Photoshop? If so, use Lightroom's built-in Edit in Photoshop function."</em><br>

That is what I do, or did. However, if I'm reading it correctly a recent response by Andrew Rodney in this thread - http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00bIag - points out that unless you're using the latest ACR in CS6, Edit-In will cause ACR to use the older process for rendering the raw not the latest one in LR4. <br>

I wasn't aware of this and as I'm still using CS1 I am appreciative of being made aware that this is what happens. (That said I can't say I've noticed any difference/deterioration in doing so with Edit-In, but it's nice to know)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I exported them as DNGs with the same result.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Try <em>Update Metadata and Preview </em>command for DNG, but as Mark points out, IF you're actually <strong>exporting</strong>, using that command and dialog, check the metadata settings there. That command should save off all the necessary data if the dialog is configured correctly. If you're just trying to view a DNG you worked with in LR then in Bridge, make sure the update command that writes XMP and the preview within the DNG is updated. <br>

Caution: IF the copy of Bridge and ACR is older then LR, you may have some issues if you try to let Bridge host the older copy of ACR (Photoshop and Bridge can both host this plug in, even at the same time). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)