andreas_carl

I have a Hasselblad 180 CFi with a damaged front bayonet ring, looks

like someone tried to screw a wrong size filter into it and since it

is plastic (unlike the CF lenses) it looks bad now. Otherwise the

lens is in great shape. I called Hasselblad, and the part costs only

$30, but I don't know how difficult or easy it is to exchange. The

front lens element is perfect, so I don't want to damage it. Is this

something I can do myself, or should I send the lens to Hasselblad

for CLA (which it doesn't really need...)?

Carl,

Replacing the front bayonette ring is very simple to do, provided you have the correct tool to remove the front serial number ring. There is a special tool for this, but a spanner wrench would also work.

Once you remove the front serial number ring, simply lift off the front bayonette ring, and position the new ring. Then replace the front serial number ring.

If using a spanner wrench to remove the serial number ring, you must be extremely careful that the spanner wrench does not slip, or else you could damage the front element.

If there is a Hasselblad technician in your area, I would suggest that you purchase the bayonette ring directly from Hasselblad, and then take the new ring and your lens to your local Hasselblad technician. He would be able to replace the bayonette ring for you in less than one minute.

David S. Odess - Factory trained Hasselblad technician

Thanks David, I am very happy to hear this! Is it simply a matter of unscrewing the serial number ring, replacing the bayonet, and putting the serial ring back on? It does look a bit scary with the front lens being so close by, but we have a good mechanical department at our university, maybe they have the proper tool to unscrew this ring...