How to emulate Velvia with Photoshop or PSP?

if i have a digital image...(both with digital camera captured or

with scanner from a slide ..for example old sensia RA 135)what kind

of paramaters have I to change for to have an image"LIKE VELVIA LOOK

WHEN PRINTED"?

can someone tell me exacly the amount Hue -saturation...contrast...

(for example 15 in the line of saturation...or tell me:-)but if

possible all the parameters and the amount that i have to process...

i know for example that in monitor (lcd)seem more vivid and saturad

color then when i prin...so i can have a bad image printed...when

look velvia like on monitor...so help me:)

i know that if i have a sensia there are a another kind of changes

to do if i have for example an image from portra film...

another question...whey i process image is better to make first

Unsharp mask or at the end?

Is your monitor hardware calibrated, with something like Photocal/Spyder, Monaco EZ color, or Eye One? Without a calibrated monitor, your prints will probably never look like what is on your monitor. <A HREF="http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/monitor_profiling.shtml">This article might help</A>

<P>

After that, printer profiling is the next step. You can download and print out color targets and send then to someplace like <A HREF="http://www.chromix.com/">Chromix</A>. There are several companies that will take these test images that you print out and generate custom profiles for your printer.

<P>

Or, if you have your image printed by a commercial lab, ask then for the ICC profile of their printing device. You can then do "soft proofing" in photoshop to get a good idea of what the image will look like when printed on their system.

<I>i know for example that in monitor (lcd)seem more vivid and saturad color then when i prin...so i can have a bad image printed...when look velvia like on monitor...so help me:) </I>

<P>

If the image looks like what you want on screen, but doesn't look like what you want when you print it, your problem is calibrating the printing process. Search the forums for monitor and print calibration, and you'll find a wealth of information.

<P>

If you want to match the Velvia palette, there are some steps to take, but it's not really as simple as just setting the saturation to a certain amount, because a lot depends on the image you're starting with. You may want to look up a Photoshop plug-in called "Digital Velvia" (I think it's by Fred Miranda). I haven't used it, but I've heard it does a good job at mimicking velvia's distinctive tones.

<P>

Good luck.

<i>If the image looks like what you want on screen, but doesn't look like what you want when you print it, your problem is calibrating the printing process.</i><br>

Just a note that this would only be correct if you are looking at a calibrated and profiled monitor. <br>

Here's another link to some information on the subject...<br>

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

In PS, use a channel mixer adjustment layer with the following settings. I have no idea if this works in PSP.

Red:

R = 120%

G = -10%

B = -10%

Green:

R = -10%

G = 120%

B = -10%

Blue:

R = -10%

G = -10%

B = 120%

And then adjust the opacity to suit. Or if it is not strong enough, then use 140% and -20% as the values.

first thanx...i go to pro lab to print...that have an agfa new printer(i dont remember exacly the model but the price...circa 500.000 �(600.000 USD).....:-)

i ll ask ICC profile...

but for me is not a problem if monitor look different...i have only to know the exacly and direction of this difference...so if i learn what is corrispondence of a saturation between monitor and final printing i think i ll have not problem....right?

but i dont know how to reach "velvia"with digital elaboration:

a)if i have an image from digital camera ....whic are paramaters to change?....SHARPNESS?contrast?hue?saturation?or the color channel R G B?ahh thanx for the exacly parameters of RGB..i ll try...

and i ll try also plug in phtotoshop

AHH all images are equally from digital cam(i reffer to reflex..D10,300D or nikon D100 produce an image similar in RAW or jpg?or saturation and contrast and so on are different?i think a little different...

B)if i have an image from sensia scanning...i think it has the own parameters that are different from a PURE digital image...

so i think there will be different changes...

THANX TO all

angelo smaldore