How to Dry 8x10 neg's

jay_lynch

I need help with how to dry my 8x10 neg's. I process them in tanks

with SS hangers. When drying I always get marks from the clips or if

I dry them in the SS hangers they leave marks too.

How should I hang them to dry? I have a filtered drying cabnet so

dust is not a problem.

Jay

Good 'ol AA said to use wooden clothes pins, the spring loaded ones. I use them by piercing one of those tail sections and putting an s hook through to catch the wire in my drying cabinet. I get a mark on the edge where the clothes pin grabs but it always prints out (black) so... What could be simpler?

John

Jay, scope out dumpsters behind markets and convenience stores for discarded old chip displays and recycle the clips that hold those bags of Cheetos, Fritos, Granny Goose, Ruffles, and Mystery Jerky. Pry or cut them off and attach them to your clothes line, they nary leave a mark. If you locate stainless steel ones, you've definately been blessed! If not, try the clips x-ray technicians use;-)

Whether or not dust is a problem is pretty much a function of your micro environment, I think. I don't have a heated or air-filtered cabinet, although I'd use it if I had one. On the other hand, I've never had a problem with dust either, so I guess I probably don't need one.

I hang my 8x10 and 8x20 negs from a clothes line strung up over my sink. I use a variety of clips ranging from nice little stainless steel ones, to wooden clothes pins, to plastic or metal roll film clips. Works fine for me.

I always used wooden clothes-pins untill I started doing ULF and didn't trust

them to hold the weight. I bought a tiny hole punch (1/16" or 1mm-I don't

remember) and I hang the negs from little wire hooks I made. On some of my

8x10 holders, the rebate edge is big enough I can keep the punched hole in

it.

I started using wooden clothes pins until I found that the tiny alligator clips (Radio Shack) work fine on a clothes line in my basement. The tiny tooth marks dont get in the way and the negatives hang secure. (Only thing I have to worry about is to keep the basement door closed and the cats upstairs!)

The traditional, officially sanctioned hardware with which to hang sheet film has always been stainless steel "Kodak 149 2586 dental film clips".

I bought a bunch while in school in the 1960's. Still work fine. Leave only a tiny, almost invisible pinhole on the film.

They are still available - I saw them just the other day - somewhere. But probably not from Kodak. I'd try a dental supply house.

There is a very inexpensive plastic clip called a Gorilla Clip that leaves no marks on the negative and holds the negative very securely. They also work well on RC prints. I have a small darkroom in a bathroom and the Gorilla Clips are designed so that I can hang 4 or 6 prints off of one shower rod slider. This means I can dry as many as 32 8x10's on a standard length shower rod. Love those little clips!