How to diffuse natural light

ay_khan

<p>Hi!<br>

I am a student of photography and I have a practice newborn session coming up. I use a large window and a golden reflector to bounce the light but during mid afternoon it gives very dark highlighted shadows. Can anyone help me with how to diffuse the light, if there are any camera settings that I can do to eliminate those highlighted shadows? If I use a fabric than what kind a fabric would be best? Is there an equipment specifically designed to diffuse the light under natural light or near a window. Please help me, I have a session in a few days and I am very very nervous.<br>

thanks!</p>

<p>Lots of options:<br>

1. Some reflectors (like a 5-in-1) will have a scrim included that you can use to diffuse light.<br>

2. You can not shoot with direct natural light but between a giant piece of poster board and your reflector, bounce the light off walls or your reflectors and on to your subject.<br>

3. A light cloth (a sheet is probably too thick but as others have pointed out, stuff like silk, even a plastic painting tarp available at Home Depot for $5 will work just fine). Experiment with different cloth.<br>

4. And if that's still too dark, than bounce a speed light off the ceiling to add a bit of fill and soften the edges of the shadows.</p>

<p>Dark shadows are not cause by lack of diffusion, but rather, too high a ratio between light that is coming through the window and light that is in the room from other sources. A simple piece of white cardboard or white or silver reflector can be brought in from the shadow side to lighten the dark shadow. Have someone move it in and watch the shadow lighten. You can pull it in til it enters the shot than move it back slightly. Is the sun shining directly through the window, ie can you see it? If not the shadow edge transition should be soft. If the sun is coming directly through the window, then you may want to diffuse with sheer curtains, diffuser portion of a 5 way reflector or go to another window. If you have a speed light I prefer bouncing high off the wall behind you to lessen chance of racoon eye shadows or bounce fill of wall opposite the window. Lots of choices, try them at the same time as the shoot before hand to dial in the one that works for you. Looks like you already tried diffusing and it cut too much light. Most 5 in ones knock down about a stop and unless your camera has good high iso performance, you may be getting too low a shutter speed. </p>

<p>If the light coming in through the window is casting a clear light pool on the floor or another wall, you need to keep your subject OUT of that light pool. Do not put them directly in front of the window but have the window located between you and the subject and out of your frame. Then use your reflector to put light into the subject where you want it.</p>

<p>We can not defuse the natural light but we can control the natural light impact on the scene which we plan to take. We can direct natural light by moving ourselves or our object in relation to the light source. One way of defusing the light is by human made diffusers that are large pieces of satin stretched over the frame.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...