How to determine 'noise' and sharpness in a print order based on monitor image

<p>My question has more to do with uploading files to online print ordering services than self-printing. Is there a way to determine the amount of visible noise and sharpness that will show up in a print ordered from a service by the image that appears on one's monitor prior to uploading the file? <br>

I am without a photo printer right now, so I can't create practice prints. Logically, I would think that you should view the image file at 100% on a photo editing program, and the amount and quality of the noise would be reproduced in the ordered print. If that's true, would it be best to view the monitor image at the same same dimensions the planned print will possess, e.g., if I'm going to order an 11 x 14 print, I should size the image on the screen so that it is at 100% view with the dimensions 11 x 14? Would settling on one dpi setting make the process easier, for example, 240 dpi?<br>

Am I really off-track here? I understand that prints can vary greatly from lab to lab, so would it be best to try to emulate the results of a particular lab's output once I've settled on one to make the process have fewer variables? For the sake of finding a reasonable solution, I'm not going to concern myself with color calibration as part of the process.</p>

<p>I order from a professional print house: whcc.com. They have numerous print sizes to choose from. I decide the size of my desired print and size it in ps at 300 ppi, then I add a canvas that is larger than the desired print and matches one of their available print sizes. This way, my image will not be accidently cropped. Typically, I make 10x15 inch prints on a print size of 11x16, giving me a half inch border all the way around. One issue is color matching. You should do test prints to see how closely you monitor matches theirs. Color profiling can be done, as well as using devices that measure the profile of your monitor. I've been lucky just "eye-balling" my colors and dynamic range to match thiers. The noise and sharpness can be roughly determined by properly sizing the image on your screen, but experience will make this easier. Here is one of whcc's pages describing how to manage color. https://www.whcc.com/resources/color</p>

<p>If we are talking about a smaller than your file print of an average frame at desperate ISO setting that still isn't entirely sharp, it makes sense to preview your file at a pixelbinning ratio equal to the print's. - My image is 5200 pixels broad, the lab will print a 4x6" at 300dpi -> a preview at 33% magnification should be realistic.</p>

<p>When I send an image out for printing, where cropping is critical, I make a copy of the image for printing at the desired dimensions, often with a white border built into the image, at 300 dpi. I resample as needed for the final image. Even if you ask for a print without cropping, it doesn't always happen that way. It is perfectly reasonable to examine the copy at 100% (pixel = pixel) on your monitor.</p>

<p>Most of my larger prints have been of landscapes, where resolution, not noise is the limiting issue. Even with portraits, I use enough light to keep the ISO (hence noise) low.</p>