How to convert nef to dng?

<p>I just bought a new pc and discover that after I installed my photoshop cs3, the RAW images do not convert and cannot be opened. I believe I recall from my last purchase of new camera I had to download something called ACR and a DNG converter from Adobe in order to process images. My camera is a Nikon D-300 shooting raw and I am using photoshop cs3 on a windows 7 pc.<br>

Advice and directions as to how to do this.<br>

Thank you for advice.</p>

<p>Ken, In the ten minutes between my post and your answer, I found this:<br>

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3822<br>

and installed the converter 4.3.1 following the instructions of moving the .8bi file and then moving back in to the original folder again.<br>

All seems to be working fine except that when I try to shoot in raw and jpeg/fine, only the jpeg shows up. Also the box says "failed to convert" for a number of files.<br>

How can I shoot and retrieve both nef and jpeg AND is there any benefit in using the DNG 5.5 converter that you sent me?<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>Howard, Yes, I believe I did update a few years ago when I bought the D300 but I have installed CS3 on a recently purchased laptop. Does this mean I have to update again in order to have both nef (which are now converted by my just installed dng) and jpegs show up?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Converting NEF files to DNG is the solution for those using the latest version of ACR (compaible with their version of PS) but finding that ACR cannot convert the NEF files from their (newer model) cameras. I don't believe this situation applies in your case.</p>

<p>The download site for ACR, ver 4.3.1 specifically states that it supports the D-300. This naturally includes the RAW (NEF) files produced by that camera. Consequently I suspect that your installation of this ACR update did not succeed. Two options: as suggested by Howard, use the update function (Help Menu) of your CS3. Alternatively try the download / installation again being very careful to follow instructions.</p>

<p>Your error may be here:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and installed the converter 4.3.1 following the instructions of moving the .8bi file <strong>and then moving back in to the original folder again.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You should not be moving the original .8bi file back into the folder from which you removed it. This will overwrite the new Camera Raw.8bi file which you copied there from the download, and reverse your efforts.</p>

<p>Mike, I believe that my update of ACR 4.3.1 did succeed as I am able to see and process the nef files now. But...I shot a few images with body set to nef and jpeg at the same time and it appears only the nef files are showing in Adobe bridge after I convert them. Perhaps the problem is in the camera setting which I will review. Any other ideas?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But...I shot a few images with body set to nef and jpeg at the same time and it appears only the nef files are showing in Adobe bridge after I convert them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not sure what you mean by "after I conver them". I don't know your workflow, but when I download files from the card to my computer, I generally copy the jpegs and nefs to separate folders. Thus, to display the images in Bridge, I need to open the particular folder where they were copied.</p>

<p>If you have downloaded all files to the same folder, then both nefs and jpegs should be visible in Bridge even before you have done any conversion (edits) in ACR. Following any adjustments in ACR, to either file type, the files should still be visible in Bridge. Do both of the file types show up when you open the drive and folder(s) where you downloaded them?</p>

<p>Perhaps if you explain how you moved the images from the memory card to your computer, we may be able to suggest a solution.</p>