How to change names of NEF files in batch

carlos_rodriguez3

<p>I normally use Fireworks CS3 to convert JPG files to my standart names. But whenever I try to process in Barch the NEF files (Nikon D50) the software send me to "process open files" and nothing happens<br>

What should I use Photoshop? Bridge? I had some trouble running Photoshop batch processes in the past. It doesnt resembe the Fireworks tool. How can I change a DSC_0021:NEF to 50_00021.NEF<br>

Shoule I use a different software?<br>

Thanks for your help<br>

Carlos</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Photomechanic for all of my captioning, editing and keywording. It also can batch rename files, and it does so for all the formats I've tried (tiff, jpg, nef, dng, etc.) It will also batch rename your camera jpg files at the same time as your nef files and will keep the two with the same filename but different extension just as it should be.<br>

Photomechanic is pretty much the standard editing software among the photojournalists I know. By editing in this case I mean sorting and choosing photos, it doesn't replace the role of Photoshop.</p>

<p>I don't know which type of computer you're using, but Windows can easily do this on its own.</p>

<p>Highlight the list of files, then right click on the top/first file. Choose Rename, and type in the file name you want with a number in parentheses. I name my files by date, so I would type "2009 0405 (1)", hit Enter and boom, they're all renamed & numbered.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The simplest, most effective and cheapest I can think of (freeware program, specifically for batch renaming): CKRename</p>

<p>My preference, since I use the program as a viewer anyway: ACDSee</p>

<p>Another option, a freeware viewer that more than likely can do this: IrfanView</p>

<p>By using Bridge to rename the files, the .xmp files are also renamed. That is, if you're in the habit of working on the files before renaming them.<br>

Renamer4Mac is another great freeware app, but it touch the .xmp files and you'll have to redo all your settings.</p>

<p>I recommend Downloader Pro. You can set the program so that when you download a memory card, the program comes up and asks for a job code. That's a text string which you can use to name your files. THe program is very flexible in naming. I have mine set up to name my files [job code][date YYMMDD][3 digit index number], and store them in subdirectories of my main picture directory by /Year/Job Code/RAW (or /JPG, as appropriate). It does all that automatically.</p>

<p>I find that naming the files with some name that describes the subject of the photo helps immensely when looking for a photo. "Mary's Birthday Party 090405 001.jpg" means a lot more to me than DSC_0359.jpg. You can certainly rename your files after you load them, but I think it makes sense to do it all automatically at download time.</p>

<p>By the way, if you have different subjects on your card you can download the ones appropriate to the job code you entered initially, then change the job code and download the rest. Downloader Pro presents you with thumbnail images so you know what the picture is and you can use the appropriate job code.</p>

<p>Downloader Pro cost me $30 a while back. Best money I spent on this hobby with the exception of my camera and lenses. I am not affiliated with the company nor do I receive any compensation for this recommendation.</p>

<p>Mendel:<br>

CKRename was just the software I needed.<br>

The problem with Bridge is that it just adds extension. So you cnat convert from DSC_0021:NEF to 50_00021.NEF. For that, you need string substitution and Bridge cant do it.<br>

But CKRename does it. Very nice and practical sofware.<br>

Thanks so much</p>

<p>There are quite a few batch file renamers available as both payware, shareware and freeware. Go here to search their freeware section as I have found this site to be very good for reliable free software downloads. I am betting they will have something suitable. The better ones all allow options like adding a prefix or suffix or changing the name / number series totally.<br>

<a href="http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/">http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/</a></p>