how to BREAK into the field?

jamesmorophotography

<p>I've recently begun building a wedding & lifestyle photography business, and I'm running into the classic catch 22 of "how do you get wedding clients if you dont have an actual wedding in your portfolio, and how do you build a wedding portfolio without having shot a wedding?"</p>

<p>I've read all of the "intro to wedding photography guides", but I'm still lost as to how to actually break into this field.<br>

This post is for those of you that didn't get their start by shooting a friend's wedding.<br>

I've tried the route of contacting local pros for second shooter and assistant opportunities, but I'm just running into a brick wall with every attempt I make to contact these people. I basically can't get them to give me the time of day, let alone set up a creative dialogue or entertain the possibility of bringing me along as a second shooter.</p>

<p>So i've been trying to build as much of a wedding portfolio as I can without having shot a wedding. this includes bridal fashion and couples photoshoots. but how do you land the first wedding?</p>

<p>I dont want to offer my services for free since I'm well aware of the work and skill that goes into wedding & engagement photos, and I know what i'm worth. But I'm at the point where I'm seriously willing to consider throwing a "i'll photograph your wedding for free or dirt cheap" ad on craigslist just to see what possibilities are out there.</p>

<p>I dont have the capital to start a serious ad campaign or to pay for google ads. so i'm pretty much limited to website hits and word of mouth & my business cards.</p>

<p>any suggestions as to how to get my foot in the door would be appreciated.<br>

should I just swallow my pride and offer to shoot a wedding for free?<br>

should I post an ad on craigslist for a $500 wedding photographer?</p>

<p>i know these are all frowned-upon ideas, but i really need to get this train going!</p>

<p>~james</p>

Try networking groups. One of them is BNI. You can google that name and find a chapter near you. You may also have luck placing your website through the Yellow Pages online directory.

For me google ads didn't work.

"should I just swallow my pride and offer to shoot a wedding for free?"

Sure, get some experience

"should I post an ad on craigslist for a $500 wedding photographer?"

Depends on your area. In Los Angeles there are about 60 wedding photographers willing to work for free. These are daily ads. So in LA my answer would be no.

<p>I had responded to your other posts re your website, and then I read this question.</p>

<p>My assumptions which predicted my other answer where correct.</p>

<p>I do not think it is of great value for your situation, explaining how I got started, apprenticing with a studio and etc . . .</p>

<p>But if you are interested the long and short of my path is here: <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2223148">http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2223148</a><br>

and here: <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VUoL">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VUoL</a><br>

and above all else my comment here is very important: <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VU6s">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VU6s</a></p>

<p>Clearly you are not a novice with the camera and equally as clearly you have some Rapport with those Models . . . (people skills), so my bottom line advice is that you need to get runs on the board and Wedding samples in that website.</p>

<p>The economy is not conducive to studios or other Pros taking on green assistants – that’s life – so be creative.</p>

<p>What can I say? Wedding Photography involves people and a website is one dimensional and the viewer has TOTAL control – you have NO SAY WHATSOEVER on what the viewr chooses to do - a website is a conduit a tool and is has its advantages and can be used well . . . there are many threads on that too. One of them you should search for is where Marc Williams mentions he is going to refit his website soon to make better use of the Blog . . . what a great idea – I agree a fantastic idea, and I think that with Marc’s enormous background in Marketing and Advertising he will make a cracker – but he HAS Wedding Photography samples on his website already . . . you don’t – he is shooting Weddings already you are not.</p>

<p>Mate, you just gotta get out there face to face with those potential clients and convince them that you should make a few images of them doing that wedding stuff . . . sitting on your bottom thinking about it ain’t gonna make it happen.</p>

<p>How many people do you know?<br>

How many people do each of them know?<br>

How many of them need a n Engagement shoot?<br>

Or wait one . . . why is the 14th February special – how many Pro Bono Valentine’s day Shoots have you booked?</p>

<p>You have pride and therefore will not work for zero income – that’s an emotion, if you want to be in business then I would get ride of that emotion.</p>

<p>Pride in your work is one thing but don’t confuse it for Self Pride – they are different.</p>

<p>And working for nil pay . . . does NOT necessarily mean doing Wedding for nothing – be creative – do the Engagement <em>Session </em>for nothing.</p>

<p>A few more questions for you:<br>

Have you got Business cards?<br>

Is there printing on both sides?<br>

Do you have a nice Pen?<br>

How many Business Cards are you carrying on your person - RIGHT NOW?<br>

And how many did you have on your person when you last ate in a nice restaurant?<br>

Have you read ALL the old threads on this topic – using the search engine here?</p>

<p>I gotta go now, but I await your detailed answers to my questions above.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I think your assumption about "breaking" into the field is silly, it's a craft that you develop, pursue, and hope to some day master. It's not something you "break" into and there's an absence of short-cuts. There's a bunch of threads here about starting in the field, suggest that you start with a search.</p>

<p>Ultimately I believe your best bet is to apprentice to a master photographer or at least find an establish pro to serve as a mentor, network with other shooters, join WPPI and/or PPA. attend some pro trainings, etc.... Good luck.</p>

<p>First be sure you've done everything you can in getting an assistant's position. Read the following (there is a Part 2). Keep trying.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VF78">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00VF78</a></p>

<p>You must know someone or know of someone getting married. If you have a day job, ask all your co workers, all of your relatives, all of your neighbors. At least there is a connection with people you know, instead of total strangers. Do those weddings for free--maybe 2 or 3, then go from there--like William W. says.</p>

<p>My wife is a wedding photographer and when she started out she had the same issues you are having. So she put her best non-wedding stuff on a web site, and advertised to do the first 5 weddings free on craigslist.org. She made it clear she had only assisted on 2 other weddings but had done quite a bit of event work in other areas. </p>

<p>Anyway, she booked up rather quickly, going that route. If your other stuff is good, people looking for free wedding photography will trust you to their wedding. It worked out fine for my wife, and even better for the first 5 that she shot for free.</p>

<p>Some big name responders above me :O<br /> <br /> I bit the bullet and offered the initial couple of weddings for at-cost (so essentially no more than $100), and of this came the beginnings of a wedding portfolio. From there I suppose it's the same game for everyone: increasing your prices to what the market will allow, every step of the way honing your craft and expanding your portfolio.<br /> <br /> I would also suggest getting in contact with some of the photographers in your local area. Offer your services for dirt cheap (i.e. minimum wage), but sign a contract allowing for use of the photos.<br /> <br /> And when first developing your portfolio, less is more. If you walk away with 15-30 amazing shots from 2-3 weddings, don't show 50-100 mediocre shots. Quantity vs. Quality seems to be a hot topic in these forums and the wedding industry as a whole right now, but it terms of your portfolio Quality will always win.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I dont want to offer my services for free since I'm well aware of the work and skill that goes into wedding & engagement photos, and I know what i'm worth.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, if your answer to what you're worth was anything other than zero then you've guessed wrong. Apologies if that seems blunt :-)</p>

<p>I can see that you have experience (and therefore market value) as a portrait shooter. You're familiar with different lighting situations and can control models. So far so good. If you wanted to shoot wedding or engagement portraits then you're good to go.</p>

<p>But, if you want to shoot weddings in their entirety, your track record there is zero - which makes your market value zero also. What a client wants to buy is not the potential of a good wedding shoot, but the guarantee of it. Which - because you've never done one - you're not in a position to provide.</p>

<p>At risk of stating the obvious, weddings are very different to model shoots. For a start, they're utterly random. You don't get to pick the location, the subjects, the time or the light. You have to work with whatever you find, including obstructions and problems, and still get great results. And you have to do it speedily, competently and continuously all day. You also have to be familiar with the traditions and culture of lots of different groups of people.</p>

<p>The track record problem is the same for most people when they start out. Hence many people (myself included) started weddings by shooting for free.</p>

<p>As others have noted above, nothing comes without effort. You need to work hard and get moving.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"I dont want to offer my services for free since I'm well aware of the work and skill that goes into wedding & engagement photos, and I know what i'm worth"</em></p>

<p>I had my answer all thought out (all 5 secs it took to do that), then I read Neil's post above mine and I agree entirely.</p>

<p>Right now you are worth nothing in terms of providing a wedding photography service as you have zero to back it up. You cannot expect a customer to pay for something they really don't know the quality of. You could do a good job or you could entirely wreck their memories, big time. They don't know which end of the spectrum they will receive.</p>

<p>My advice, put some ads up offering FREE photography for a few weddings. It is not a case of swallowing your pride as you stated in your post. I did the same and there is nothing wrong with it, and the couple will be happy to have someone at a level above uncle Bob with camera (at least that will be the expectation). Speaking of expectations, you need to spell out to them that you have zero experience and cannot guarantee any sort of quality, but you will do your very best. Don't bother yourself by those who say otherwise, they just feel threatended.</p>

<p>I will throw in my two cents since I am in a similar situation. I have been doing photography for a couple years now, I have done model portfolios, lots of wildlife, some childrens portraits, etc. I wanted to get into weddings to make some extra income and add to my portfolio but I also had not done any weddings. So I got together with my friend who is also a photographer but had never done weddings. We decided to make a website and start promoting ourselves as wedding photographers. On our site it shows an introductory price for weddings and we did some basic shots of rings, shoes, a young girl in a flower shoot (obviously not enough to convince ppl to pay for us to do weddings). We also made business cards and handed them out to friends and family and coworkers. Now we have 6 weddings scheduled this year. The first two are freebies to build our portfolio, people who we know we are older and having their second marriage. No pride lost on doing that. You have to invest time and effort to become accomplished otherwise you will not succeed in the business because other ppl will do it for free. Then when you have a good portfolio and prove you take good pictures at a weddings people will WANT to pay you for your work. Good luck.</p>

<p>

<p>Fair enough. I do know what goes into a wedding (pre-and post production), and the idea of offering 40-50 hours of my time behind the camera and behind the computer for free is disconcerting. I know my worth as a wedding photographer is zero since I haven't shot a wedding, but my worth as a portrait & lifestyle photographer is certainly not zero. </p>

<p>However, I'm willing to do whatever it takes. So I'll give it a go and see what comes of it.</p>

<p>In response to william w.'s questions:</p>

<p>i'm a recent transplant to southern california. so my network of friends is limited. however, I do have a few couples photoshoots in the works. just trying to find time when everyone's schedules intersect. I haven't thought of valentine's day shoots. thanks for the idea.</p>

<p>I do have business cards, and carry around 10 on myself at a time. They dont have a blank side to write on, but that's where my contact information comes in handy.</p>

<p>I need to get into the habit of dropping them off at restaurants, although i'm not really sure of the protocol for this. I've noticed some restaurants have a 'drop your card' box, but not all of them. </p>

<p>I have read and researched all of the articles on photo.net regarding starting a wedding photography business and have found such a wide approach to getting started--everything from I shot my first wedding for $1k and realized I wasn't charging enough, to I started by shooting a friend's wedding---that's its really hard to figure out what to do in my circumstances. One theme I've noticed throughout all the advice is to never work for free, since that negates the whole idea of being a professional and also subverts the market as a whole. </p>

<p>I've also read that people wont trust you to shoot their weddings for free since it's such a special event and not having any financial performance obligation to the couple doesn't really put any pressure on you, the photographer, to perform. But from what you guys are telling me, there are people out there that will invite someone to photograph their wedding for free. So I'll give it a try and post up some ads on CL. I've already tried posting an ad looking for couples to photograph for engagement style shoots but never got a single response. Perhaps I just need to make a more attractive ad.</p>

<p>I'll see how it goes and report back...</p>

<p>~James </p>

</p>

<p >Thanks for answering the questions.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You might consider a Blank backside of the business card - you might consider always introducing yourself as a Photographer - you might consider carrying 50 cards at any one time - you might consider ALWAYS writing something on EVERY card you EVER give to ANYONE.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Network Network Network NOW - - - Advertise later.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I would never "drop off" a business card in a bowl at a restaurant - I have however given my card, personally, to the owner and written something on the back of it.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >On the (hot) topic of never working for free because it is . . .and does . . . to the profession.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I can say I have never done a Wedding for nix (to “get started” – I have done a few as a gift) – but I can say I did a lot of pro bono and Promotional shooting to get started – I still do a lot of Pro Bono work, now surprising what it brings and I don’t even want the Wedding work now – some people laugh at my methods, that’s fine by me.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Have a think about the power of walking out the door each morning – as a Professional Photographer – 50 Business cards and – come home with none . . . just as a starting spot and as one string to your bow.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p><br>

Ah sorry I missed a bit in my paste:</p>

<p>OK if you want to advertise "free weddings" - give it a whirl and see what happens - but while the ad is being read over the next three weeks what are you going to be doing each day? waiting for the phone to ring . . . that's not very good practice <br>

<br>

Have a think about the power of walking out the door each morning – as a Professional Photographer – 50 Business cards and camera in hand – come home with no cards and lots of Photos . . . just as a starting position. <br>

<br>

Do I come on too strong? - well I know from experience, teaching at Tech that only 1 in every 100 students fulfils the first weeks' assignment, on time . . . so I am used to folk not taking up the baton and running with what appears to them to be an over the top and excessive approach . . . to get the momentum happening<br>

<br>

Meanwhile, I am moving off to the office now, I am running on only 4 hour sleep and feel great. I’ve got a lot of work to do today and a lot of sales to close.<br>

<br>

Good luck with it, and please do report back.<br>

<br>

All the best<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<blockquote>

<p>...you might consider ALWAYS writing something on EVERY card you EVER give to ANYONE.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Bill, I've seen you give this advice to a lot of people. I know you'd never recommend anything that you didn't believe in from first hand experience, so I wonder if you'd explain more about this approach.</p>

<p>I think I grasp the psychology of it - that a card that's been personalised in some form has a more substantial emotional connection, is harder to throw away, and more likely to result in a positive call to action - but how does it work in practice? And what sort of things do you write?</p>

<p>If I sit down with a fountain pen at a desk I can probably pull this off. I've got reasonable writing and can handle a pen. I could prepare a number of cards with non-personalised information, but that probably wouldn't be adequate to meet the goal of exercise - not enough to make it personal and meaningful. But if I'm scratching away on the back of a card in the queue at the coffee shop, or in an airport lounge, or in a crowded pub with no table space, the end result might be pretty lacklustre - perhaps even indecipherable.</p>

<p>Is there still value in it? Do I hand it over with an apology for bending it by accident, and hope they don't notice the ink smear on the back :-)</p>

<p>How does it work for you?</p>

<p><em><strong>"I think I grasp the psychology of it - that a card that's been personalised in some form has a more substantial emotional connection, is harder to throw away, and more likely to result in a positive call to action"</strong></em><br>

<br>

<em><strong>Correct!</strong></em> <br>

Another of my favourite words - "leverage".<br>

<br>

But it is no good doing it at your desk and having them pre-prepared – that’s like going to a fancy restaurant and the chef heating the stuff up in the microwave.<br>

<br>

I love fountain pens – but agree that they are troublesome sometimes and you need to have the correct card (type) to take fountain pen ink, well.<br>

<br>

A broader aspect of the Psychology of it all is that it is rowing a different way to the norm – don’t underestimate what defines you as different is a great leverage if used properly, (that last comment about not underestimating differentiation - was NOT directed at Neil – or anyone in particular) <br>

<br>

It would bode well to have a look at Neil’s Website, as it oozes differentiation.<br>

<br>

I note the in depth question regarding the actual protocol, execution and the text - and how it all works for me. <br>

<br>

I am not avoiding that question, but I am running short of time and would like to take it on notice, for two reasons:<br>

1. to provide an adequate and more considered answer, and<br>

2. frankly I don’t necessarily want to “tell all about my Peking Duck Recipe” – but I am very happy to share the overview with the WWW of how I do it.<br>

. . . then again . . . why not!</p><div>00Vdak-215455584.JPG.0d8126a304ee8c157309df81c5eefa61.JPG</div>

<blockquote>

<p>...the idea of offering 40-50 hours of my time behind the camera and behind the computer for free is disconcerting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>James, that's not the way I'd look at it.</p>

<p>I assume you pay models for shoots. If you ever hire a studio you'll pay for location, equipment and crew. Why not think of it the same way?</p>

<p>Someone is laying on an entire wedding for you - the location, logistics, costume, cast, talent, lighting, catering. You get to photograph it all, in any way you choose. You get to keep the images and make a portfolio from it. You get to trade on the results. Some of the people you photograph will probably hire you for real later, or their friends will.</p>

<p>And all it costs you is 20 hours of your time (50 hours would be too much - no need to give away the farm!). Pretty good bargain, if you've got a lot of time on your hands. If you wanted to set all that up for yourself to build your portfolio it would cost you several thousand dollars.</p>

<p>Or you can stay at home and wait for the phone to ring :-)</p>

<p><strong><em>"As they say - a picture is a thousand words. Thanks - I get the idea. Although I'll need to experiment with pens and card types a bit, and probably have new cards made, as mine won't take ink very well."</em></strong><br /><br />Hang on sailor - you don't get off that easy - I did write: <br /><br /><em>"I note the in depth question regarding the actual protocol, execution and the text - and how it all works for me. I am not avoiding that question, but I am running short of time and would like to take it on notice" </em><br /><br />So grab a coffee, tea, vodka and some cream cake . . . and enjoy this little bit:</p>

<p>*************************************************************************************************</p>

<p>

<p>Thanks for letting me think on it.</p>

<p>Perhaps it’s best to start at my basic premise – forgetting any of the Psychology or Marketing aspects / fancy words altogether – just the bare bones of it.</p>

<p>> I like to be liked – most people do.</p>

<p>> I have an ego – to be anywhere good at my job, I think to have an ego is important – to have it in check is also important, but that is another topic. . .</p>

<p>> Because I like to be liked and because I have an ego – if I am <strong><em>memorable</em></strong> to those I meet, and those folk’s memory of me is <strong><em>positive</em></strong>; then I will have satisfied two of my many goals in life.</p>

<p>> Two key elements to “positive” are: sincerity and honesty.</p>

<p>> All people are potential Clients</p>

<p>> If People have a positive, attributable memory of me, then my Business and I will be rewarded.</p>

<p>So with that premise best now to describe two real examples of my “adaptation”:</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong><em>Sample 1. </em></strong></p>

<p>Now let’s say you (Neil) and I meet on a web forum and we exchange ideas and we seem to get along amicably – <strong><em>much like if we struck up a conversation in a pub . . . so that is our scenario – a pub: </em></strong><br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br>

I would very likely offer to buy a drink and we might talk a bit more – now you having your business in London and me being based way a away it would be silly for me to think that we might even (later) discuss mutual recommendations or how we might help each other out on a day to day basis.</p>

<p>But, as I would want you to like me – that is genuinely like me for who I am and what I stand for – I would want to “leverage” our pub conversation into your memory such that it and I became a positive memory for YOU, personally.</p>

<p>So I might excuse myself to attend to nature – or even buy another drink at the bar – where there was room and an hard surface to craft a neat and short personal message on my business card.</p>

<p>As it become time to take our leave, we would most likely shake hands at which time I would take my pen and the card I had written on and say something like: “I really enjoyed our discussion tonight – thanks for that Neil – and as one of the things we talked about we were business cards – here’s mine – all the best to you.”</p>

<p>And I would take my leave.</p>

<p>Now you note that the words I spoke at the close of the evening are very similar to the words I scribed above.</p>

<p>Also, I put a date on it – something that you might remember, in July when you pull the card out and note that you haven’t said “hi Bill” for six months. :)</p>

<p>And the message is genuine – I do wish you well. It is public record that we have discussed camera formats and other issues off line and via email; and it is also public record that you have extensively critiqued my work and assisted me to develop my skill’s set . . . so it would be normal behaviour and polite that I would wish you well – so the message, to you, had a personal meaning, which relates to our specific “relationship” to each other.</p>

<p><strong><em>No matter how intimate or how causal the acquaintance or meeting might be, there is always a short sincere message that will be pertinent to that particular: event; place; time or person – or, often - all four. </em></strong></p>

<p>Other samples messages I could leave with you are “Neil, thanks for the Critique – I learnt heaps” or “Time will tell about APS-C format – call me in 2011”.</p>

<p>Each of those messages is sincere too – and both are only what I have previously written to you –<br>

. . . but if you had any of those three messages on the back of my card, in your wallet – I reckon I would be more “memorable” to you.</p>

<p>From your positive memory of me, flow more positive and good things . . . to me.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong><em>Sample 2. </em></strong></p>

<p>I took 14 days holiday in January – for most of that time we were at a recluse, with no Mobile Phone Coverage, No Internet, No Disturbances and very few People – but I did take a couple of cameras and a tripod and about three lenses – just travelling lightweight and for my FUN ONLY.</p>

<p>And I did take business cards – though they were relegated to my bag and NOT on my person – I do switch OFF and can do that very easily and very quickly.</p>

<p>There was a M/F couple in the cabin next to ours with whom we exchanged the polite “hello” as our paths crossed – contrary to my normal outward going personality, when I switch off I do switch off from people – not rude - I just switch off.</p>

<p>On the second or third day after our neighbours arrived, the woman pulled out one of those thin flat P&S cameras and proceeded to frame (her husband?) who was standing about 4ft higher than her on the balcony . . . we could not help but overhear their conversation, which disclosed that she had only one image left on her card and that she was unhappy with all the other attempts she had made at the shot of her mate and it was apparent that these two were leaving the next morning.</p>

<p>I switched “on” and I asked if she would like me to take a Photo of BOTH of them together . . .<br>

I asked how the camera worked and what I should do to work it – but what I was really doing was investigating if the Flash was on AUTO or not, and where the ZOOM function was – O.K. I got both the bits of info I required and the Lady showed me where the “go” button was located.</p>

<p>So she climbed to the balcony and I zoomed from the W/A she had, to a Longish Half-shot and I positioned the Camera “Hail Mary” Style such that the front railing of the balcony did not cast a shadow across their chests but was as “hidden” as much as I could make it so.</p>

<p>So we did the one shot and she interrogated the LCD and said: “thank you” – and I said: “you are welcome, thank you for trusting me with your camera”.</p>

<p>And I then switched off and went back to addressing my severely poor position, loosing 3 – 6 in our ongoing Holiday Rubber (Traditional Canasta) – I poured a Crisp New Zealand White, for more clarity on my predicament.</p>

<p>At dinner that evening, I slipped over to their table to say “Hi” and I asked if they enjoyed their stay and I hoped that the photo of the two of them would be a nice memory of the last three days – I pulled out my card and wrote the back: “thanks for trusting me with your camera – Bill, Jan 2010” and I gave it to the Woman, my writing side up – she read it and smiled and I returned to our table.</p>

<p>I don’t think she read the front of my card – and if she did it would be most likely that she could not decipher all of it, because of the Dinning Room’s poor / (romantic?) lighting.</p>

<p>The next morning they were leaving and by chance walked past me as I was attempting to make an image of this: <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/10593653&size=lg">http://www.photo.net/photo/10593653&size=lg</a> which on previous stays at this resort had been an EV / Dynamic Range challenge for me – as I did not want to employ HDR multiple capture techniques – or use Flash or Reflectors so I was concentrating on my image and not on my surroundings. I was futzing on the ground with my HH light-meter dangling around my neck and my Manfrotto sticking sideways with my 5D on it spinning around and the 16 35 mounted on it.</p>

<p>When they had to walk around me and my gear to get to the car pack it kind of rocked their socks I think – mine too, because they woke me up from my own little Photo World, we said polite goodbyes – but it seemed a little uncomfortable – for them as it clicked later, they had not seen any of my camera gear before then.</p>

<p>When I arrived home, about a week later, in the mail box was a thank you note: “Bill, Just a short note to say thank you for taking our Photo. We have had it printed and framed and put your card on the back of it. It is one of the best Photos of the two of us we have – it was so kind of you taking the time to do that. You can really see the difference when a professional does the job, thank you again, regards XXXX & XXXX”</p>

<p>Now that’s a nice story and with a very nice ending and it is my true belief that many, perhaps mostly all of the fulltime Professional Photographers here would step down and offer to do what I did and execute the image as well as or better than I.</p>

<p>But the questions (in respect of this thread) to ask are:</p>

<p>> How many would have their image framed and on display at those folk’s home?<br>

> How many would have their NAME remembered?<br>

> How many would have that Photo talked about, because the time, the place and the interaction was memorable?</p>

<p><br /><br>

<strong><em>Sample 3 </em></strong>(I can’t count)</p>

<p>Neither of examples 1 or was an overtly a crude (but still honest) message such as: <em>“free sitting if you bring this card back within three days”</em> – but make no mistake, that in the correct interaction / situation, a blunt message such as this sample, can work effectively.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong><em>My Views on this and some Observations:</em></strong></p>

<p>My seemingly screwy fascination with Business Cards and the meticulous honing of their application and use is not for all to embrace – I know that.</p>

<p>Interestingly, this is the first direct, detailed question about my use of Business Cards I have ever been asked on this forum – even though I have, (as noted), often mentioned Business Cards as a leading answer and solution, in response to this type of question about how to grow a business.</p>

<p>If my memory serves me correctly, only one other analytical comment was made - by David Schilling about two years ago – which indicated to me he understood many of the aspects of this method . . . that does not mean that others who have not commented, do not understand.</p>

<p>It is interesting that both these chaps would surely have their broad marketing methods nailed down, refined, honed to suit their style and personality and neither is just staring up his own business . . . so for all those to whom I have answered with my question: “have you got Business Cards?” . . . the above is the answer to the return inquisition which I have never read from you.<br>

<strong><em>***</em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Technical words:</em></strong></p>

<p>(which actually I don’t like that much – I would rather do Technical Essay on Depth of Field that this Marketing Stuff)</p>

<p>As I said, my method of utilizing Business Cards doesn’t work for all and it is <strong><em>not</em></strong> an exclusive method of <strong><em>growing a business</em></strong> – no one element for growing is exclusive.</p>

<p>Business Cards work for me and are one of my <strong><em>Marketing Strategy’s</em></strong> <em>leading edge</em>, as the daily ue of Business Cards dovetails neatly into my <strong><em>main general thrust of marketing / advertising</em></strong>, which is <strong><em>Word of Mouth</em></strong>, both of these are predicated on <strong><em>Networking**</em></strong>.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong><em>The End:</em></strong></p>

<p>That’s about the limit of the nuts and bolts which I choose to share, publically . . . there is quite a deal of honing and refining which can be done to this application, and IMO it is actually very simple, effective, and rewarding exercise and not just monetarily rewarding, either.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p><strong><em>Some stuff after The End</em></strong></p>

<p><strong><em>A definition:</em></strong></p>

<p>** <strong><em>Networking: </em></strong>Noun Abstract (archaic) “To network, to form a bond, to interact with another person or group of people, to be social, an old fashioned technology requiring <strong><em>human contact</em></strong> and / or <strong><em>social intercourse,</em></strong> practiced in the last century, it is now an outmoded and inferior practice with the more effective methods of non-human interaction, some of which are: point to multi-point communication, voice recognition, cybernet services, in-vetro fertilization, there is no longer any requirement for Networking at any human contact level, whatsoever.”</p>

<p><strong><em>The back of this Business Card: (no more pictures on this one)</em></strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>“Neil, Thanks for asking the Business Card question – Bill Jan. 2010”</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

</p>

<p>Bill, thank you for the detailed explanation. And for taking the time to share what is a beautifully simple and compelling idea - which may even be better than peking duck. :-) I'll write more on the topic later, but right now I'm about to go and start a new season. First wedding of 2010 today....<br>

Cheers - N.</p>

<p>William, thanks for providing us more detail on your usage of the venerable business card. I'm going to try it.<br>

This is a little off topic but sort of related. My Mom despises emails - won't send 'em and would prefer not to receive them. She practices the somewhat lost art of letter writing... pen to paper. A well written letter somehow feels more thoughtful and heartfelt than that exact same letter sent by email. Definitely more personal. And somehow I think your personalizing your business cards ties into that perception. In this day of runaway technology, instant gratification, of emails and instant messaging, the handwritten note seems to take on more meaning.<br>

Now I feel the sudden urge to write my Mom a letter! thanks.</p>

<p>James, I feel for those trying to get started these days. Someone called me from p.net with the same question, and don't recall if it was you. I couldn't think fast enough to answer off the cuff, but it made me think afterwards: What would I do if starting now? No matter what anyone says, it isn't the same now as it was even 5 years ago.</p>

<p>Previously, most established wedding photographers either worked for a Pro first as an assistant and/or second shooter, or evolved into being a wedding photographer. I am among the latter type. I never worked for someone else ... however, I do recommend it if possible. It isn't necessarily a "short cut", but it's usually a surer path than starting out cold.</p>

<p>It seems like you are having difficulty securing a second shooter position (a sign of the times as suggested?), and it also sounds like you are hard pressed to more slowly evolve into this type work. Your circumstances are compounded by being a recent transplant into a relatively saturated location ... with you now adding to that saturation.</p>

<p>Okay, what's a Mother to do? Just to be clear, this is strictly my opinion ... as is any statement from an established Pro since they aren't starting out now, and things are different ... no matter how much we tell stories of our beginnings, and how we "walked 10 miles to school in our bare feet ... in the dead of winter" ... LOL! With that in mind, here are a few ideas:</p>

<p><strong>Seek a mentor.</strong> E-mail will work in leu of face-to-face. I've mentored a number of folks over the years in just this manner, (some from p.net). It worked every time. While limited, it is way better than nothing. Private correspondence allows frank discussion and eliminates authoritative posturing often found on forums. Exchange avenues like "Drop Box" (2 gigs free) allows transmission of full resolution images for discussion.</p>

<p><strong>Seek a partner.</strong> Generally speaking there are two types of wedding photographers: more traditional, and the more photojournalistic. Rarely is one as good at one as they are at the other. Most will vehemently deny this in public ... but one gander at their work reveals the truth. The fact is that most clients want both types of work. Personally, I forced myself to do the best I could with posed work, but only because I HAD to, not because I wanted to. I'd kill to have someone like you shoot all the posed work so I could get back to what I have more of a passion for. I suspect I am not alone in that desire ... which most will only admit privately. Think about strengthening another photographer's services, or their competitive position, rather than approaching them hat-in-hand.</p>

<p>"<strong>Free</strong>dom is just another word for nothing left to lose." I'm with you on the subject of "Free" James. I've never shot anything for free unless it was for someone that had nothing ... as in a charity or a pro-bono educational event for the disadvantaged. IMO, giving away a talent or hard earned skill smacks of desperation. There are a lot of other avenues to tread before resorting to "Free."</p>

<p><strong>Barter: </strong>rather than free, try trading. I've bartered with tradesmen, a car mechanic, a jeweler, a florist, musicians, graphic artists, writers, a hair stylist and make-up artist, even my personal trainer. This would benefit someone who may not be able to afford a talent in your league, and get you the samples you need without doing it for free. Just ask ... you never know (a guy working on my house saw I was a photographer, and asked me if I'd be willing to trade services to photograph his daughter's wedding ... he had no clue if I was even a wedding photographer ... just a photographer. I did some jeweler's promo work in exchange for a small fee and a photo credit ... right where couples come to buy the freaking wedding ring ... can't get earlier exposure than that).</p>

<p><strong>Free is okay when ... </strong>it is an added value. Think about offering a free one year anniversary portrait for wedding clients ... it's what you are good at, and many couples would love a professional portrait of them in something other than their wedding attire. Other ideas like this?</p>

<p><strong>Advertise. </strong>Contrary to what most advise by saying word-of-mouth is the best advertising (it is BTW) ... that is easy to say when you have clients spreading the word for you. What if you don't ... like you? Get a Face Book page going. Use Linden, My Space ... , etc. Hook up with anyone and everyone you meet or know. Unless you are a recluse like Howard Hughes ... you will be socializing and meeting new people. Show interest in them, and they will do likewise. Sign up for a bunch of wedding sites ... plaster your existing images all over the place. Now, I admit that many sites like Eventincive, The Knot, etc. tend to reveal lower priced weddings ... but it's better than free on Craig's list. If I wanted to shoot $1,000. weddings I could garner 200 of them a year from these sites. But it IS a path to samples to get started. Just having a presence on these sites tags you as a professional to consumers, even if you are not.</p>

<p><strong>Compel Word-of-mouth: </strong>Once you do your first full wedding, give the client the tools to spread the word. Unless you screwed up clients are just dying to brag about you ... which is part of purchase justification. I help them out by giving them business cards that uses THEIR wedding image as the graphic! It's a no-brainer to do if you have an inkjet printer. They can't wait to pass them out for me ... because it's about them, not some stranger.</p>

<p><strong>Reverse the prevailing logic: </strong>conventional wisdom says you have zero wedding experience. Think about ways to flip that to your advantage. Be sincere about offering your strength in a positive manner. As in: <em>"Now you can have a premier Portrait photographer to photograph your wedding."</em> Clients tend to know little to nothing about the true nature of wedding photography in the manner folks on a site like this one. MOST of all they want to look good ... and who better than a well established portrait photographer to do that? Go with what you have, not with what you don't have.</p>

<p><strong>-Marc</strong></p>

<p> </p>