How to become a master photographer

Having just joined the student part of the PPA, they do in fact certify professional photographers. I assume that is what you are talking about. Doesn't sound too easy, but here is the information.... http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3279

I assume this will be a bit more helpful than the other answers you are getting.

I don't think that being certified by any organization makes one a Master photographer. The Professional Photographic Certification Commission requires that you submit 20 photos from 20 different assignments. That makes one a professional, not a master. There are a lot of professional photographers in this country that are nowhere near master level.

Acceptance and respect of peers will go further than certifications by organizations that look at professional rather than true artistic accomplishments.

Joe

Oh -- You guys are no fun!

Steve! I've seen your posts around her, and you sound like a bright boy, so I'll tell you what -- I'll make you a deal if you act today. Now I wouldn't do this for just anybody, but for you I'll make an exception. Send me $29.95, plus $10 shipping and handling, and that SASE, and I'll send you a Doctor of Pretty Pictures degree. That's a lot easier than joining PPA. I accept PayPal. :)

"Acceptance and respect of peers will go further than certifications by organizations that look at professional rather than true artistic accomplishments. "

A Master or Craftsman degree from PPA is exactly that. You receive points toward your degree based on the merit of your photographic skills via prints judged by your peers. There are additional qualifications, however, you should visit the PPA site for further info.

Doug

HA!!! At one time I subscribed to PPA's BS. Look, if you need to wear a medal around your neck to prove your importance, join the Army and actually EARN it! I dropped out of PPA because these people struck me as a bunch of self important blowhards. The real talent in professional photography is in the high end commercial aspect, and I doubt any of these "medal touting" experts could pull off a serious top notch shoot (like one I worked on today). Forget PPA and all there "certifications". etc... They are for the people who "think" they are professional. If you want to be a true "master" of photography, start PA'ing on film sets, or assisting for a "real" photographer (one who makes a living from sources other than the general public). PPA is idiotic, and for people who think they are really "masters" when they are far from it. Just my $.02 (so go ahead and flame me, PPA "masters"!)

Patrick-

Thank you.

But be careful of sounding too full of yourself (re: "I doubt any of these "medal touting" experts could pull off a serious top notch shoot (like one I worked on today)").

But otherwise, true. Seems like there are 2 ends to photography- commercial (make money) and artistic (spend money). When you can combine the 2 effortlessly and produce beautiful photographs and never lose your love the craft no matter what it throws your way, then you can be a master of photography.

Doesn't hurt to make a buck doing it.

So I guess really it depends on what kind of "master" Steve wants to be- Annie or Ansel.

~Tiff

LOL! PPA? I'm not sure what this even stands for. I guess they've taken a lot of pictures among them, but I would personally feel a little silly touting the 'Certified Professional Photographer' certificate from some little-known, unofficial organization, unless it was somehow a condition of employment for a job that I absolutelt loved and felt I couldn't live without. I've seen your portfolio, Steve, and I think you're a very good photographer. Unless you need a certification, you should let your work speak for you.

Jim's teasing you - but he's teasing you honestly.

Whenever I've touted for work and talked to a new client they've asked for lists of previous & current clients, tear sheets of published work and examples of recently produced material.

Never ever never, not ever once have I been asked for any evidence of a qualification other than that which can be divined from the work I proffer.

Your aspirations might be different, but experience evidenced in images seems to have more clout than several letters after one's name.

• 1 year later...

Tiff - ok, like 18 months later, but I did not mean to sound "full of myself" - Worked on meant assisting, and the shoot was for Nike.

So yeah, I doubt I would have the qualifications to shoot Tiger Woods myself at this point in my career.... BUT, I did attend a local

PPA meeting when I first moved here (right after a year in Iraq) and I was completely turned off by the self righteous blow hards

that wore there "medals" like they stormed normandy or something.....

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

<p>I agree with two ideas on this, as a younger aspiring photographer consider certification as a means to improve yourself professionally. There is nothing wrong with learning more and even being beat up on by over-righteous professionals that wear the so called badge of 'Master'.</p>

<p>During the 90s I once went down the road of wanting to prove myself and accepted the challenge of PPA's Master accreditation. I got as far as one credit short, entered four prints to competition for my final merrit points and they all scored to give me above the necessary credits but each were rejected because I did not title the prints??? Yes this is pompous, arrogant and poor judgement of PPA??? I dropped out of that organization.</p>

<p>Today I am confidant with my abilities that I can tackle any assignment and don't need to wear any badge of honor. However I do look back at the challenge to be a so called MASTER and I am happy that I did challenged myself.</p>

<p>Being accepted as a Master can not be bestowed by an organization but rather gained through knowledge, experience and continued improvement of your craft!</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<h3 ><a href="http://www.gracegems.org/Pink/over_righteous.htm"><em><em> </em></em></a></h3>