How to batch-convert 16-bit .TIFFs to .JPG

I have a few hundred 16-bit .TIFF files that I need to convert

to .JPGs to fit onto CDs. They also need to be sequentially renamed.

Usually, Photoshop requires use of the File/Mode command to convert

each image from 16-bit to 8-bit before they can be saved as .JPGs.

Does anyone know how to get PS to perform both the 16-bit to 8-bit

conversion and the sequential renaming as an action or batch command?

Thanks for any tips.

After all the frustrations I've had and three monitors that I've thrown out the window...I am now the batch king!

Close all files. Make a new sub folder under your tiff files folder that you want to convert, I call it test. I put one or two copies of the folder I want to batch, or write the action for, in there. Make another sub folder, called in this case, 'jpg large', or whatever you want your finished version to be. Now, go to the top of your actions palette, and click on default actions. I don't know why I do this, but after hours of coffee and grey hairs, I do. Then click on the blue button, scroll down to 'new action' and click. Call the action what it is 'Tiff to JPG Large' and hit record. Then double click on one of your copies in the test folder, and start what you normally do to open the TIFF file, make sure they are all adjusted the way you want them! When your tiff opens, go image duplicate, okay, (I perform usm here in one of my actions, which would be image/mode/lab/under channels go lightness, then filter/usm/ image/mode rgb/.) But anyway, next step is image/mode/8 bit then I also assign a colour profile here to image/mode/assign profile and check off what you wish. Then on the top tool bar, file/save as and find your sub folder 'jpg large' and save. Then again top tool bar, file/close, then once again for your original that should be still open, file/close. For some reason, my version is glitchy and I have to do exactly in this manner and order with the tool bar for closing. I can't hit the red x to close an image while making an action. Anyway, you should be back to a blank screen and hit 'stop recording'. That should be more or less your action. Now go back to your 'jpg large' folder to and double check to make sure everything is fine. Then delete your file.

Now, when you hit 'batch', you have to have all three of the four boxes ticked off, they are 'ignore open commands' 'suppress file option open dialogues' and 'suppress colour profile warnings' ticked off. Do not tick off 'include sub folders'. Choose folder instead of browser. Under 'source', choose folder and again scroll and find your 'test' folder that we made with a few copies in it as well use these two to make sure everything works, and hit okay. Now, under destination, hit folder, and scroll to find your 'jpg large'. The file re-name box should read 'document', + '3 digit serial number' (this is what I use), and 'extension' leave them alone, so they'll rename the same as your original. If you have a two digit number system, check off 2 digit serial number. Under the number from box, enter the appropriate number, I always start at 1. Now the next part that hung me up for days is the box underneath all this. The 'log errors to file' or the choice is 'stop for errors'. Make sure it is on the former, 'log errors...' and most importantly now, hit the 'save as' button and make a folder and title it 'logged errors', then title the document which will be a .txt file, as the same name as your action, 'Tiff to Jpg large' and hit okay. It will bring you back to the batch box, now you're ready, hit 'okay' and cross your fingers...your couple images in your test folder should start fyling through. Check your jpg large folder to make sure again, and if so, change the 'source' folder when you go to batch the real thing. Good luck!