How to backup Elements 2018 Camera RAW Database in Windows 7?

If I want to use the Camera RAW Database to save my image settings (rather then using xmp sidecars or DNG formatting), how do I back the database up and where do I find this file in the first place? Can't find this information in the user's guide or Adobe website. Adobe chat support didn't know, but they promised that somebody is going to call me back.

Hopefully, some of you can help me out?

Don't you know how to use the "Google Machine'?

Type"Location of Adobe Camera Raw Database". You'll get the answer but here's a URL to start (2nd in the list on my 'Google Machine' :eek::

how do I backup Camera Raw Database? | Adobe Community

DO read the comments by a fellow named Thomas Knoll: Then follow them!

how do I backup Camera Raw Database? | Adobe Community

Or maybe you'll find this as one of the top hits the 'Google Machine' finds:

Manage Adobe Camera Raw settings

Of course, someone good at computer software troubleshooting would open ACR and invoke a change on an image that would update said database. They could then do a search by file change (by date/time) and up at the top of the list, IF they actually sorted correctly (questionable but not difficult to do), they would see the file just updated due to this update of said database.

Of course someone good at computer skills would backup his entire drive which of course would also back up this database. He'd do this on a daily basis. He'd backup to multiple drives. Then he wouldn't lose anything.

Of course, some people shouldn't be using computers at all. :p

Maybe the question should be: How to Google to search for answers? It would save you and other's a lot of time.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Before posting here I searched extensively and didn't find any useful information, including the 3 articles you linked to. The 2 forum links are from 2007 and way outdated, as is the Adobe article; "Documents and Settings" hasn't been around since Vista! That has been replaced with C:\Users and C:\ProgramData; on my Windows 7 computer, nothing in those paths leads to anything remotely looking like the Database.

So, the questions of how to locate and backup the Database remains unanswered.

Before posting here I searched extensively and didn't find any useful information, including the 3 articles you linked to.

Yes, some are not very good at searching for their own answers or accepting answers. This begs the question why you can't figure out how to search for a recently modified file OR how to do a basic backup of all your files regardless of where they reside. Again, some people shouldn’t own computers.

The M.O. Is perfectly summed up by this observer:

Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't report Exposure Compensation

It looks like the modus operandi of this OP. Ask a question and let everyone make a good faith effort to provide potential solutions, he does not like any one of them and then at the end somehow finds the solution somewhere else or he knew all along. I guess I know now not to bother.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

And your search results, 3 outdated documents, are good?

You'd know if you tried instead of wasting both our time.

I've been using Photoshop since 1990, version 1.0.9 and guess what? LOTS of the functionality from those days STILL works the same today. But it appears you have to dismiss any data provided from some people no matter the date or by testing, simply because again:

It looks like the modus operandi of this OP. Ask a question and let everyone make a good faith effort to provide potential solutions, he does not like any one of them and then at the end somehow finds the solution somewhere else or he knew all along. I guess I know now not to bother.

But getting attention for yourself in two forums still applies to the MO.

So you don't understand yet how to backup every file on your computer? It's not that difficult. For those of us that can and should be using a computer. Doesn't matter where this or that file might be on a drive (that thingie that holds all your data Frans) EVERYTHING gets backed up.

I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.

You suggest I back up "all my files", even if I don't know where this particular file resides? Doesn't make any sense.

So by your own admission, you don't have a clue how to backup your computer? You don't have to know where ANYTHING resides, you have to know how to select a decent software utility to do so, then a hard drive (which you'll have to figure out how to hook up), done. As I said and will say again, some folks just shouldn’t attempt to use a computer.

No, not OK. You can cease asking scary questions, I'll cease with the scary answers.

First result from the Google machine on how to backup a computer:

A video too, little if any reason to read/comprehend.

Damn, from 2017, probably a need to dismiss it..... :eek:

A: Can you explain how to use non-existing "Documents and Settings"?

B: Why back up your whole drive if you only need to back up your own files, like images, spreadsheets, word docs, etc. and this elusive Camera RAW Database?

C: I would still need to know where the elusive Camera RAW Database in residing, in case I ever need it to recover from disaster.

D: What part of "either make a positive contribution or don't respond" don't you understand?

Tell us the wrong answer you'll accept, some here with experience writing fiction might help you out.

Are there no great grand-kids or people who reside around the home who actually understand how computers work and how to back them up you can ask? Or the only sources for you to ask then dismiss are the members of PhotoNet and Luminous Landscape forums you can go to for help/attention?

Edited by digitaldog

This is not productive. It is certainly reasonable to ask for information, if and after you have attempted to solve your issues on your own. When no results are satisfying, there is no benefit pursuing the issue further. No one has a responsibility to educate others unless they are employed and paid to do so. There may be some expert, generous and patient individuals who will yet reply - wait and see.

Drumroll please: "Database"!

The entire name is just 'Database'?

And you were unable to search for files on your Windows machine named just "Database".

And you're absolutely certain that all the edits and other necessary data that would be in the catalog exist in this file named just 'Database"?

The entire name is just 'Database'?

And you were unable to search for files on your Windows machine named just "Database".

And you're absolutely certain that all the edits and other necessary data that would be in the catalog exist in this file named just 'Database"?

Yes, yes* and yes.

*: Yes, I'm able to search for files named "Database"on my Windows computer and at least 20 showed up, but none related to Adobe. After working some more with PSE, it showed up, just as Michel said it would; don't ask me to explain that because I can't. Now it shows up all the time (I've tried is numerous times just to make sure it doesn't disappear again).

Yes, yes* and yes.

*: Yes, I'm able to search for files named "Database"on my Windows computer and at least 20 showed up, but none related to Adobe. After working some more with PSE, it showed up, just as Michel said it would; don't ask me to explain that because I can't. Now it shows up all the time (I've tried is numerous times just to make sure it doesn't disappear again).

Well now Michael on this third site you've asked, seems to be stating he's not too sure about all this:

How to backup Elements 2018 Camera RAW Database... | Adobe Community

That's mysterious...

After the test I made this morning to use the database option in PSE14, nothing was created in the path mentionned in my first answer, and now, there it is

The Database.db3 opens as an sqlite file... but it's password protected!!!!

OK so you found a document named database. Seems what's in it may or may not be what you're after.

No, I'm not asking you to explain it....

I'm hoping Michael and the Adobe employees there might. As yet, what's in that sqlite file is ???

At the very last, this test could be useful but not fully telling what's in the database:

1. Find that file, jot down the exact date/time modified.

2. Open a raw in ACR within Elements and make an edit.

3. Quit Elements.

4. Find the Database file. Examine date/time modified. It is very possible this takes a bit of time to update, this behavior can be seen in Lightroom too.

This doesn't tell us the edits are necessarily in this database and as Michael states, he can't even examine the sqlite database. It's possible it's just some file that stores other data THAN the edits.

You could reset preferences such ACR doesn't use the database and go through steps 1-4. IF there is no update, that's a bit more compelling data that indeed, edits are being stored in the database. But it's not a guarantee whatsoever.