how to adjust/calibrate focus on a Voit. Bessa II?

Just processed a couple of rolls from my Bessa II and it looks like

the focus has drifted off. I think it may be focusing past infinity

when set to infinity. Does anyone know how to adjust this? Any idea

why it would be off? My last roll was spot on; I wonder if it got

jarred at some point.

thanks.

First do some tests using transparency film with a tripod and a cable release. Focus on static objects at various distances and take notes or mark the focus target clearly in the image, and check the transparencies with a loupe on a light table. I find the Bessa II somewhat difficult to hold steady in the horizontal position, even at relatively high shutter speeds, so be sure to rule out camera shake first.

There seem to be different versions of the Bessa II, but on mine you can access the rangefinder adjustment screws by removing the plate on top of the rangefinder. Mine lacks an accessory shoe, so this just entails removing the small screws that hold the plate on. If you have an accessory shoe, you may need to remove it first.

My rangefinder was in good adjustment when I got it, so I haven't actually tried to adjust the Bessa II, but with most adjustable rangefinders, one screw controls vertical alignment and one controls horizontal alignment. I calibrate the rangefinder at the near focusing distance measured from the film plane and at infinity and then double check at some intermediate distances to be sure it's working properly.

Thank you Dave.

Is the infinity stop adjustable? On my 4x5 field camera it is an obvious clamp on the track that stops the movement of the lens along the track; I know that is not the case with the bessa, but what is it? Could it go beyond infinity if it wanted to?

The reason I ask is that one of the negs shows close objects to be very fuzzy and things get sharper as infinity approaches, but the very distant objects are still soft, like infinity was just not quite far enough. Like you said, it could be shake...

--ward

I'm not expert on the Bessa folders but in my quest for a folder I came across a lot of complaints about the rigidity of these cameras. Are you certain that the lens was folded out properly and that it is rigid and parallel to the film plane?

The lens seems to lock securely into place when it is fully extended.

I will try some formal test shots this weekend, but from looking at negs it doesn't seem like it is stopping at infinity when I have the focus in the maximum position. The split image spot indicates that it is at infinity but it seems to be focused beyond infinity, as there is no area that is in focus as distance reaches the horizon.

I'll let you know what I find when I set it on a tripod for some shots.

Hello,

is a difficult problem with the Voigtlaender BESSA II. Is an spring mechanism and open it with automatic infinity adjustable without turn around with first lens for distance. Well the knob on the plate is infinity are the lens is automatic in infinty and picture are not sharp. What to do ?

First control with this tip from tread here with an ground glass, or cellophan,or an CD cover, is the lens in infinity.

The next step is control, like my Voigtlaender BESSA II with Color Heliar, the lens is correctly in infinity, but the rollfilm push in the frame and pictures are not sharp. Is an problem for winding the rollfilm before open it the camera. Make a test with first open it the camera and second winding the rollfilm to next number,and control the pictures on sharp with infinity.

Are all steps are wrong and pictures not sharp on infinity,you have a problem with the mechanical frontholder fixed the lens.

In worst case the camera fall down and the lens have problem, but this is fact in all distance include infinity.

Hope you have succes

peter