How to achieve this look?

charbry

I've noticed a trend with fashion photographers achieving this specific look when shooting medium format film? It seems to be able to be produced not just at golden hour, and has a particular sense of softness as well as the unique colour? I wondered if it something that can be achieved in scanning or even in digital post?

Can anyone help?

Ben Weller on Instagram: “Second story for @gqfrance styled by @jerome.andre grooming by @lee_machinhair casting by @arthurmejean special thanks to @ericpillault…”

• 2 months later...

@charbry

Apologies for the late response - I don't usually read the fashion & portrait forum.

I think the "look" is partly on-set styling (brown/beige/sand backgrounds) and partly color grading PP. Colors (especially primary) are slightly de-saturated. Details are - as you say - softened. My guess is by adding a touch of Gaussian blur PP.

The main thing I notice on Ben Weller's website is that the colors of clothes and backgrounds harmonize more than they contrast. So the subjects and backgrounds have a relatively low degree of color contrast.

I suspect that the whole photos are given a beige/sand/brown "wash" (overlaying with a fill color layer) to harmonize the different colors.

These days, there are loads of Color grading LUTS available in Photoshop and 3rd parties or you can create your own.

• Like 1