How often do you upgrade your Nikon equip?

RaymondC

<p>I am still in the dark ages. But fortunately I do landscapes and very seldom portraiture and events and sports. </p>

<p>The original D3 for me was almost like just yesterday yet they have the D3s and the D700s isn't it and the new nano coated lenses. I am still using my new bought D70 and the recently bought used D2h. Thou I do find it more a bargain to get film bodies - they just seem much more worth it.</p>

<p>How often do you guys update? I assume that you are spending more then in the hay days?</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>I upgrade only when I've exhausted the possibilities of what I already have. Given my limited abilities, around once a decade seems enough. And when I do upgrade it's typically pre-owned equipment. I'm not exactly Nikon's dream consumer. Fortunately, many of our members more than make up for my lack of spending.</p>

<p>For almost 20 years I did not upgrade my camera. Then I switched to digital. I too update with used equipment. My first DSLR was two years old at the time and then I upgraded two years after that to another DSLR that was two years old. That was two years ago but I will be waiting at least another two years before upgrading again. While my two latest DSLRs may be getting antiquated their IQ at ISO 100 to 400 is still comparable with the latest DSLRs. I suspect that my next camera will be a used D3X, or 5D II. My preference will be to stick with the Nikon but since I have used my AIS lenses on Canon's before I am not afraid to do so again if necessary, ie best low-ISO IQ for the least money! </p>

<p>What decade is this ? Which means, not very often.</p>

<p>Part of my problem is the catch-22 of it. " I don't shot enough to justify a new camera, yet, if I had a nice DSLR, I might be shooting a lot more, by not worrying about film costs. " </p>

<p>One of my other problems is that I like the heft of my F4. Not many DSLRs will feel solid to me, unless I spend BIG bucks. So, I wait and window shop and hope that technology and price will eventually hit the sweet spot I need.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pretty much when I can find more work to pay for the equipment. The 24mm TS comes to mind for architectural work. My line of thinking is: If I buy this lens, can I pay it back in a couple or three projects? My theory was to upgrade every other generation of camera body and use the old body as the backup, then sell the previous generations. That doesn't usually work because I find it hard to part with old friends. When the 24mp D3 becomes a prosumer variant, I'll probably buy it.</p>

<p>It's funny, when I worked professionally, I hardly ever upgraded. I only bought what I needed when I needed it. Of course professional class film cameras were much more immune to obsolescence than digital equipment. I still have two Nikon F2 bodies from 40 years ago not to mention some older Leica cameras. </p>

<p>For some reason, as an amateur photographer, I find myself much more susceptible to wanting the latest technology. I get caught up in all the excitement and hype whenever new equipment is announced, even though my Nikon D70 is perfectly adequate for the photography I do. I do have some self control. I just purchased a D90, but I did wait for the price to drop, and at least I have not succumbed to my huge desire to possess a Nikon D3x.</p>

<p>I suppose if I worked professionally again, the pressure from a competitive standpoint would force me to upgrade almost as fast as technology advanced, and that means about every two years or so and in multiple formats. </p>

<p>Amateur photography is much more fun.</p>

<p>I think everyone is different. Uhmmm! I bought my first SLR when I was in high school (1982 Canon AE-1P). My second one I got it as a birthday present (1986 Canon T-90). Mi next camera was my D80 (2006). I bought it without making any research. It just felt good in my hands and it was cheaper than the D200. When the D300 came out I was already used to the Nikon system and even though I was still learning to shoot digital images i decided to go with a D300 because of the better built body and better high ISO performance. I have been tempted to buy a D700 or a used D3 but I don't really feel the need of it since what I love shooting most are birds and I rather have a cropped body. <br /> Lenses is a bit different. I upgraded from my 18-70 (D80 kit lens) to 17-55 coz I needed (wanted) a faster lens. Then I also bought an old AF 300 f/4 and after using it a couple of months I upgraded to the AFS 300 f/4 coz its faster AF. My last upgrade was my AF 105 Micro to the AFS. I love the AFS coz I don't use it as a macro lens so often, I like it for portraits of my kids and shooting birds at close distance.<br /> So I guess for me upgrading depends on having the need and not just because there is a new hot toy around.<br>

Then again, I love buying other toys, not really upgrading, specially if I find them at a good price!</p>

<p>I never upgraded my Nikon SLR - I still have the original 1983 F3.<br>

I never got too serious about digital cameras. I had an Olympus 3MP point and shoot, then moved to a Kodak 8MP one, and I've stuck with that for the past 3 years and counting.</p>

<p>Lenses - I stopped buying in 2004. I think the last one was a 300mm f/4 AFS. Really, lenses are a buy once and keep forever proposition.</p>

<p>I guess Nikon hasn't gotten any equipment purchases out of me since 2004.<br>

I did upgrade their software though. I went from Nikon Capture NX v 1.0 to the latest 2.2.3. That resulted in paying twice - once for version 1, then again for version 2.</p>

<p>Robert, I admire your lack of NAS. I sadly have had NAS since 2002 when I upgraded by N70 to an F100. Since then I've gone through many digital bodies and am on my second F100 for film. I will keep the F100 (late serial number, lightly used, $150, wow). I really want to stop buying new digital gear and just concentrate on lenses. But having been laid off last summer and now returning to school, my purchases have stopped for now.</p>

<p>Huuummmmm<br>

Well, I started in 1980 with a Nikon FM & a 50mm lens..... Got a few more lenses - all of which was stolen before Christmas of 1981. :-( In 1982 Summer I bought a new FM & a 80-200mm lens.... Probably another 50mm as well.... Had those until 1987 after our daughter's Christening in Sweden when entrusted in my mother-in-laws hands on a flight from Stockholm to Paris. She forget the camera in the overhead compartment & I had Andrea in my arms & didn't even think about it.....<br>

A few years later I bought one of the Pro models used with a 50mm lens..... went through a series of P&S film cameras only to go & buy a N50 on an impulse one summer.... with a 30-70mm lens..... & added a 70-200mm lens. Had that camera & set up until I bought my D200. Was informed on DPR that my lenses were junk & started upgrading..... That started a series of purchases....<br>

So - originally I think I was a pretty bad Nikon customer...... Today I buy a lot of Pro level lenses & spend the money. But only when we can afford it. I'm not losing the house nor anything else for stuff from Nikon. I am however fairly up to date on my stuff...... I write fairly because I don't have the absolute latest of everything.....<br>

Today my attitude is - - if I need something a camera body is offering me - - then I buy it. If I need a better something in a lens - then I buy it. If & when we can afford it. :-)</p>

<p>I just upgraded from my Nikon FM to a D5000 body. I'm still using my AI Nikkor 35-105mm & AI Nikkor F/4.5 80-200 zoom lenses in manual mode. I still have the FM as well. I did use a Lumix ZS1 point & shoot for about 6 months. It's a great little camera with a 25-300mm (12X) zoom, but I missed the SLR and my two lenses were going to waste. I might buy a Nikon 70-300mm AF zoom in the spring (not the cheap kit lense), but I don't mind shooting in manual with the AI lenses.</p>

<p>I just upgraded from my Nikon FM to a D5000 body. I'm still using my AI Nikkor 35-105mm & AI Nikkor F/4.5 80-200 zoom lenses in manual mode. I still have the FM as well. I did use a Lumix ZS1 point & shoot for about 6 months. It's a great little camera with a 25-300mm (12X) zoom, but I missed the SLR and my two lenses were going to waste. I might buy a Nikon 70-300mm AF zoom in the spring (not the cheap kit lense), but I don't mind shooting in manual with the AI lenses.</p>

<p>Upgraded to an F6 about two years ago. Got two of them used and in perfect condition. They are worth more now then what I paid. This is the best camera I have ever used, so there will be no upgrading for me. Nikon will not be making another pro film camera. <br>

Still love my F4 and F3 too. D300 gets some use, and I won't be upgrading that.</p>

<p>Anthony</p>

<p>I think Lex gave the perfect response. In a nutshell, you basically upgrade when you feel the need. I upgrade independent of what Nikon touts as the "latest and greatest," unless I can get a real bargain. I'm in the process of "upgrading" to a D300 (mint, used) because I many times need a useable 1600 ISO right out of the camera and my D200 doesn't cut it (along with less than optimal AF performance in low light sports shots of my kids). I usually try to buy used at about one generation behind to keep costs down. Some day I'll own that D700 !</p>

<p>I have two criteria for upgrading. The first is at least 2 steps of technology and the second is that it has to deliver capabilities that allow me to do a better job for my clients. Usually, 2 steps of technology really allows for better options for my clients. I work with a D200 and a D700 and I might be tempted with a D700s to replace the D200, but would not purchase a second D700. I just upgraded to the new 70-200mm VRII lens and lots of misgivings about doing so. I did so because I wanted the better low light performance for my portrait and wedding work. IMHO it is an absolutely wonderful lens. Below is a recent image from using such a lens in ok but not perfect light. Shot with my D700.</p><div>00VFSK-200469684.jpg.54df8207a195a96a6439fb19639ccc81.jpg</div>

<p>First DSLR was a D100. The only reason I wanted a new model was it wasn't practical to compress raw images on the D100 and it wouldn't meter with manual focus lenses. Got a D300 and short of dropping it in the ocean I can see no practical reason for ever replacing it. I shoot for pleasure, I don't make my living with a camera AND I went through that "I've always got to have the newest, fastest," with computers.</p>