How often do you replace or service your camera bodies?

betty_lowrey

<p>I seem to be running through backup cameras like water. I shoot with a D300 as my main body, and 2 D40's as my backups, and those suckers just don't seem to last. I've replaced them both in the last year. I really like the lightweight ease of the D40s for backups but they just don't have the stamina of a pro SLR.<br>

Do you find yourself replacing your camera bodies quite a bit with wedding work. Any suggestions for a good Nikon backup camera? D60 or D80?</p>

<p>If you're killing off consumer bodies, I'd suggest simply getting a second D300 for backup. It will use the same memory (CF cards instead of SD cards), it will create files of the same format, exhibit the same high ISO behavior, be able to control external strobes in the same way, use the same batteries/grips, and maintain the same control/menu layout. The reduction in problems for not having to switch between configurations and storage... that alone makes the extra few hundred dollars worth the trouble (to say nothing of the better weather sealing, and the probability of the camera actually working when you need it to).<br /><br />You might also look around for a good deal on a D200. It will be as tough as the D300, and behave very similarly... and it will produce images as good or better than the D40/60 class bodies, while not making you use two types of storage. Better AF system and frame rate, too, of course.</p>

<p>I have never had a camera fail *knock on wood*. I have a couple 20D's backup to my 5DmII. Never sent any in for warranty or service of any kind. I think one of the 20D's is over it's shutter life too but it still works like new and they have been through some crazy stuff.</p>

<p>Betty, how can you break shutters on your backups? Are they not your backups?<br>

BTW, the D90 is rated for 100000 clicks and the D300 for 150000 clicks and shutters can be replaced on all bodies including the D40.</p>

<p>The price to get the shutters replaced on my D40s is about $300. Not worth it for a $450 camera body.<br>

I'm not sure how the things keep breaking, but I usually end up shooting with the D300 slung over one side of my body and one D40 on the other with a different lens. I would say they get their workout.</p>

<p>I've had a bad case of Nikon Aquisition Syndrome for some time. In the span of three years, I went from a D200 to a D300, added a second D300 and then a D700. So to say I replace my backup gear often is a fair statement.<br>

However, none of these were ever due to failure. I still use the D200 on occasion, but it's being handed down to my 9 year old :)<br>

Only my D70 has ever failed. I also have D50s and D60s that I use at work without any failures and they're handled by high schoolers.<br>

Sam</p>

<p>I use 2 30Ds and a 5D. I have replaced the shutter on one of the 30Ds. But that's $200 to fix a body I paid $1100 for new. Seemed worth it. Rebuilt 30Ds are about $600. Maybe the D40s maybe aren't up to the task. I know in Canon the consumer bodies have 50K sutters. Maybe it's the same in Nikon.</p>

<p>How many captures do you make at a wedding anyway?</p>

<p>I avg. about 800-900 pics on each camera for an all day affair (so I guess it's not really a "back up" so much as a companion camera). I normally throw my prime lens on the D40 during the ceremony and then switch it out to the zoom during the rest of the day.<br>

My camera guy told me using a D40 for a wedding was like driving the Indy 500 in a Yugo. You'll probably get there eventually, but you're more than likely going to break down before the finish.</p>

<p>Vincent said::<br>

<em>"I shoot with Nikon F3HP and F2A bodies. My youngest camera is 24 years old, and the oldest is 32 year old."</em><br>

I think we are missing something here....is it me or do film cameras last a lot longer, or do we take less shots with film ?<br>

I said this earlier, we can spend $2500.00 on a digital camera, 10 years from now it will probably be in a box needing a part that is no longer manufactured. Or spend that much for a Hasselblad, 10 years from now send off for CLA, & be good for 10 more.</p>

<p>Gregory, if only I could afford a Hasselblad. Betty, I was going to suggest the D90, I have a D80 and love it. Typically I shoot wildlife and nature, but I'm shooting more and more portraiture and typically I shoot 400 to 500 shots on an outing. I realize you probably do way more than that at a wedding, but I really think the D80 would stand up to it. I can't wait to try the D90, but I may save my pennies and invest in a D300 when I can. Good luck with the D90, I've heard many good things.</p>