How often do you get a CLA or best possible focus adjustment?

scrivyscriv

<p>I feel like all of my equipment could use a good CLA and adjustment for best possible focus.. I've heard of some people sending in all of their equipment to get everything done at once and get AF tolerances all in the same area. But how often do you, a real world working wedding/event/location photographer, need to do that? Once a year? Two years?</p>

<p>I'd appreciate any comments related to this.</p>

Unless you drop something, spill a coke on the camera, or something like that, your gear should last a very long time. You should feel confident in cleaning the sensors, the lenses, yourself, things of that nature. Probably the only thing you have to do is send it in when you get an error code that cannot be resolved. The last thing that can go bad is the shutter, but they last several years, usually 100,000 clicks for the low end cameras to 300,000 clicks for the upper end models.

<p>Never, only when definitely broken. I try to handle as much cleaning (Windex) and care, including some pretty fair repairs, as I can carefully myself, after that, I'll toss it and replace it unless it's a big $$$ item and a clear fixer. I've had extensive Bronica SQa system 1986-98, Hasselblads 98-now, and many pairs of Nikon's since 1984. So few repairs (6) in like 25 years that it's why I stay with the best equipment I can afford. It lasts and is cost effective in the long run. But, if you are not real comfortable with following service directions and cleaning or other care yourself maybe factory CLA is for you. Once a month I would vaccuum the Bronicas with the furniture brush and clean all the lenses with Windex and paper towels. 12 years, two lens repairs. None of these new fadangled cameras will ever last like that, and my Hasselblads hae been more trouble with much less use. Nikons are great, just have the more semi-pro models. Sorry for the big rant, but this is one of my pet subjects.</p>

<p>Man, I couldn't afford to send in my gear for a tune up like I do the car. My stuff is more likely to fail due to user error than any malfunction that "might" have been prevented by such maintenance. Besides, I have backups of some kind (although not the best).</p>

<p>And a question for Dave if he doesn't mind replying: Isn't Windex an ammonia based chemical and what does that do to the glass coating and seals?</p>

<p>RT, I never experienced any problems whatsoever. However, today with the new digi bodies and plastic components I just use exactly what the book says, usually a damp cloth and no chemicals. Lens glas I use pure chamois I cut myself and a few huffs of breath, 25+ years I'm cleaning my lenses that way unless they're gritty or real bad I'll use a spritz of bad stuff on a cotton and mop gently first.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just use exactly what the book says, </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I must read one of those someday. :) I like the chamois idea. Right now I use what the optometrist gave me for my eyeglasses with a microfiber cloth. Not sure what's in it but I figure if it works for the glass on my head then it should be ok.</p>

<p>Thanks Dave.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Guess I was just curious how everyone else does it. You read a lot about CLA's on older equipment for stuck diaphragms, or sticky light seals, or maybe a light meter adjust - and it's not really clear how often that newer electronics and digital parts need to be serviced. I dropped my Canon 85 1.8 recently and haven't gotten a satisfactory image out of it since, and it made me start thinking about scheduled maintenance on everything.<br>

I mean some stuff is what, ten, fifteen years old? Like Canon's older EF primes? I've got a 28mm f/2.8 that is as old as my kid brother who's just starting college.</p>

<p>Then with Canon putting micro AF adjustments on their more recent bodies, it also made me think about not just scheduled maintenance but having initial maintenance done on all my lenses and bodies to get AF tolerances all in the same area.</p>

<p>Just a casual question, really.</p>