How much to charge for a headshot?

Hi all. I have been asked to do a portrait/ headshot by one of my

friends for his company's business card. The other employees had

theirs done at a local studio and since he lives 3 hours away he

asked me to do one for him. So, I'm wondering how much I should

bill the company for one headshot! I have no idea how much people

usually charge because I only do weddings and seniors and they only

need one picture for the card. Any advice? $50.00?? More? Less?

Colleen-- It all depends on how good you are. I'll usually set up at a company and do several headshots at a time, from four to 20. I've had individuals say my rates were too steep, go to a cheaper photographer, then see how pedestrian their images looked next to the ones I did for their compatriots and hire me to to re-shoot their picture.

For head-honchos of multi-million-dollar corporations, I'll charge $350 plus a quarterly fee and additional $ depending on number of copies and use, as well as capture fees, burn fees, etc. It usually ends up being a fairly profitable day (see an earlier thread in this forum titled "Here's what to charge").

For real-estate agents and the like, I'll charge $215 per person for one, $195 each for two, $175 for three, $150 for four, and rates per person go down as more people are added. That's if I shoot the people all in one day. That will include two final images and a CD, plus unlimited self-promotional use. Last year I started a ploy where if the subject loses so much weight in the next six months that their looks change significantly, I'll re-shoot their picture at half-fee. It's gotten me some extra business as when I go back for the re-shoot I usually get several additional people signing up for pictures. I picked up over $1000 before lunch today on one of these shoots (the boss had lost over 60 lbs, and a bunch of new people in the office signed up to have their picture taken).

If you've done this for a while and you are confident that your ability to shoot great business headshots is up there with the best, then these are probably minimal rates. -BC-