How much to charge for a baptism and reception event!

angelacardenas

<p>HI there, <br>

I've been doing photography for a while, but when it comes to these particular events I have a hard time pricing my job. This is for a Greek baptism ceremony following reception. For Greeks this is a very important event, almost as long as a wedding. Last time I photographed a greek baptism and ceremony I basically did for free for the amount I got paid. I need some rates/packages ideas, I'm in NY and this event will take place in CT. I have a Canon 40D, 10-22mm, 50mm F1.4 , a 17-55mm and a 580EXII, may rent a 70-200mm. Still don't know if the client would like a second shooter. last time I had a second shooter as well.<br>

Please give me your suggestions and opinions, I will call back my client once I have a set idea of my rate and package.<br>

Thanks a lot!!!</p>

<p>Angela,<br>

Make sure you have a full set of backup equipment, otherwise decline the job. Whether you charge or not, it's your responsibility to capture the images.<br>

Yes, you should charge similar to a wedding. You may not have this situation yet, but image you book one of these and charge half price, then you get a call for a wedding! You just lost half!<br>

In business, you always have to think about how much you could be making doing something else. I have all my prints made by pro-labs because I can make much more money either shooting or selling....-Aimee</p>

<p>I need a full day to recover after any event where I take photographs for several hours nowadays, maybe I'm just getting old :-) I already did her wedding 2 years ago (with prime lenses only) and got some really helpful and friendly advice now on photo.net regarding the baptism ceremony. Look at: <a href="../pentax-camera-forum/00UM9z">http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00UM9z</a></p>

<p>Markus thanks for the link! Exactly as it was described, It took me a day or so to recover last time. It was my first Greek baptism experience and everything was so different and unexpected, an event full of surprises. Now since I know what to expect I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. If you don't mind me asking.. how much would you have charged (or average amount) if you were to do the photographs here in the states? The questions applies to everyone also. The more info, the better! =)</p>

<p>Okay, let's talk about money. If it's about 2 days work (without the travel), 1 day at the event and 1 day for postprocessing (including delivering highres photos & slideshow on DVD with full rights of reproduction) and the preparation I would ask from 1'000 dollars upwards & coverage of expenses for a normal client and maybe half of that for a friend. But I do not make a living out of photography, as an amateur I only take small jobs to finance some equipment and get some new photographic challenges :-) A pro really has to calculate differently.</p>

<p>Angela, what was your biggest surprise or what kind of mistakes did you make at your first greek baptism? I agree with others that a complete backup set for everything is a must, I will even take an additional film body with me. If money matters, instead of renting a long lens I would go for an identical second body and flash and use 1 camera with the wide and one with the fast 50mm lens and change memory cards often as well.</p>

<p>Angela, I photographed my first Greek baptism and charged $2,300 for a 9 hour package which is less then my wedding packages. I also included one 8x12 = 100 page hardcover photo book! I never witnessed a Greek baptism so it was a feast for my eyes...here are a couple of snap shots http://photographybymarthablog.blogspot.com/2009/07/baby-kosta-gets-baptized.html<br /> I do want to mention that before I was commissioned to photograph this event I made it clear to the mother of the child that I had never attended a Greek Baptism, she was kind enough to e-mail me a description on how each stage of the ceremony would unfold and the meaning behind it. I made sure to study the night before so I knew what to expect once I was there. Btw, I am located in Northern New Jersey...the ceremony was held in Queens, New York.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Martha, I enjoyed your blog and it is educational as well. It looks like you could move freely in the church around the altar and use bounced flash as well without restrictions? I'm happy looking forward to my greek baptism adventure in october in Zacharo, the church looks incredibly colourful in your photos.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification Martha. I hope to get lot of photos with my 50mm F1.7 and the 24mm F2.8 and 70-150mm F2.8 on the monopod in available light but sadly my Pentax K10 body is not very good noise wise at ISO higher than 400 so I will have to drag the shutter and use bounced flash if allowed. Of course the client cares more about the moments and expressions captured than the noise that I see appearing in the shadows. In your phoos there seems to be quite a bit of light in the church, since I will be in a chapel I expect it to be much dimmer. </p>

<p><em>"Rob, I don't get it why you call these prices absurd, too low or to high or what?"</em><br>

<em></em><br>

That's exactly my point........with the wide variation in prices and pricing structures, it's anybody's guess. Could be seen by some as too high and by others as too low. Anyone looking to an internet forum for definitive pricing is likely to get alot of contradictory information which is why it is wiser to network with local pros in your market and location.</p>