How much to ask for as a Wedding Photography deposit

caroline_weiss

Hi there, hope you guys can help me with this. I have started a wedding photography business last year

and after doing some research I decided to ask for 50% of the chosen package as a deposit. My most

expensive package is only ?1100, which here in Glasgow isn't that expensive, but now I've seen that

couple's rather choose a different photographer to me because their deposit was only ?150. Now I got this

dilemma, that on the one hand I think when you book your photographer you 'usually' pick them because

you like their work the most and once you made up your mind on who to go for you stick with them, so to

stick to my guns and keep the 50% deposit rule, or should I reduce it but then I worry that it's easier for

people to drop out and I won't find another couple to cover the date and will make a greater loss.

How do you guys work it? What works best in your experience? I look forward to reading your responses.

Best, Caroline

You have a business to run. It takes cash flow to do that. Half up front, NON-REFUNDABLE, spelled out in contract. The other half on the day of, or any time prior to the day of. Payments made the last week before the event must be tendered in such a way you can get the cheque cashed at a local bank, so you HAVE YOUR MONEY. That way, you have no collections issues.

To me, anyone who gets by with charging so little up front has some serious spikes and gaps in their cash flow, which is not good for paying bills.

And yes, RETAINER is the correct way to refer to the payments. It's not a deposit, and you're not going to hand it back to them if they get mad and break it off with each other.

You can opt to offer them some other portrait services in lieu of doing the wedding, and can even allow them to transfer the fee forward for a 3 to 5 year period, during which time if they marry, you will apply the funds paid toward their new event. And, you can allow them to transfer it to another family member. And this is an important point when doing this...make SURE you know which side PAID the fee, so the other doesn't try to take advantage of it for themselves. This last bit, I don't put in writing...I make them the offer of transfer as a good faith gesture, in case of a breakup. It's good business, and makes you out to be a nice person, not a profiteer from people's misfortunes or mistakes.

I've always been lucky when it comes to getting my money I ask for 1/3 when they hire me 1/3 just before the wedding, and 1/3 (all in cash or cashier check)when they get there pictures back (no they do not get to see the pictures first).Always bring samples with you. Califdreamz photogrphy.................Sandman

Rebecca

A booking fee, or retainer is basically a payment for you to save that date for them. It is a NON REFUNDABLE payment

A deposit is refundable

I had a couple pull out a few months before a wedding - and they got no money back - fair - yes - because at short notice I will not rebook that specific date easily. In the specific case in hand, I had turned away a few brides for the same date

That's why I stage the payments - they pay more as the date gets closer

There is a second reason why you definatally don't want to do deposits

WHO do you give the money to? the bride or the groom? - In the case Im thinking of, the bride and groom had split up acrimoniously... trust me - when you think about it, you are better off out of there

We do 1/3 to sign the contract, 1/3 before the wedding, and 1/3 on delivery of the proofs. Have had people try to pay the last payment at time of delivery of the album. Said no.

We are occassionally flexable in spacing the payment if the wedding is a distance away.

Seems to work OK. Biggest problem is people not ordering there albums. Have about 22 which are over 1 year.

Because people often take considerable time to order their albums it is important to keep a reserve fund to cover the costs. Otherwise you might find yourself in the fix that a surprising number of photographers do -- that is they become dependent on the next wedding to pay for the last. As a consequence they get in trouble with the law for nondelivery.

• 1 month later...

I require a 1/3 to hold the date, another third before the wedding day, and the final third

after my work is completed. Some clients pay in full before the wedding, while others like to

spread it out. But getting a list a third or half to hold the date insures that they don't change

their mind, and helps you have an income throughout the year.

Because people often take considerable time to order their albums it is important to keep a

reserve fund to cover the costs. Otherwise you might find yourself in the fix that a surprising

number of photographers do -- that is they become dependent on the next wedding to pay

for the last. As a consequence they get in trouble with the law for nondelivery.

RESPONSE: I have a clause in my contract that states that album orders not submitted within

one year from the wedding are subject to a 20% upcharge. My costs rise after a year, so I'm

just passing on my increases.....