How much should I charge??

tim_adams

I have a chance to have an airshow act maybe use some of my photos I

took of them in action to promote their act on their website. The

question is how much should I charge them?

Here is the site in question: http://www.airshows.com/dacy/home/

If you click on the link for the pictures you can see how poor they

are. If you check out my Airshow/Air Racing gallery you can see my

photos are just a little bit better.

So what do you think??

Tim:

<p>I feel a little dumb saying this, but one of my best friends, who is a labor attorney,

once

told

me that discussing fees on an open forum like this could be considered price fixing, which

is illegal

in some states. In any event, it's always been somewhat taboo. What you charge is totally

up to you.

<p>Again, I'm not saying that it <u>is</u> wrong, I've just heard that it is. I, for

one, would not do it.

When they hustle you through the high security "defendant's only" corridors and elevators at the Federal Court building here in Chicago be sure to take a look around: my Dad designed them.

I'm just kidding about you being arrested.....but not about my Dad designing those areas of the building.

Many professional associations provide information for their members on how to determine pricing for their services. I know the American Institute of Architects does and they often hold seminars on proper pricing practices at local and national meetings, as well as devoting a chapter of the AIA Handbook of professional Practice to these issues. For your question though, the best resource might be the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP). While you won't have access to most of the resources they provide to their members, they do have some available to the public and a search using the term "pricing" turned up a number of free articles. They can be found at http://www.asmp.org. They also publish a book on photography business practices that I've found useful and you can see it at(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1581151977/qid=1091058534/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2447475-3806367?v=glance&s=books.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with Chris that this type of open forum constitutes price fixing. Law.com provides the following definition of price fixing:

Price Fixing

n. a criminal violation of federal antitrust statutes in which several competing businesses reach a secret agreement (conspiracy) to set prices for their products to prevent real competition and keep the public from benefitting from price competition. Price fixing also includes secret setting of favorable prices between suppliers and favored manufacturers or distributors to beat the competition.

Good luck with your potential sale!