How much one charges for creating a Photo Book

melissa_b.p

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I'm very new to this process and after extensive research on the internet, as well as reaching out to a photography friend, I still don't have answers so hopefully you can help. It looks as though I have my first Photo Book request. Is there a set formula to consider when billing someone? So in other words, at 17.5" x 12", it's $20 a page, at 10" x 10", it's $10 a page, etc. plus the cost of buying the actual album? I tried to consider my time as a designer (which is a service I do aside from photography) but the cost was very unreasonable and unaffordable, so I'm hoping that there is some 'magic' formula that makes it so that the client has a reasonably affordable book and I'm not taking a huge loss in the process...</p>

<p>Also, for an 80 page album, what's the typical number of pictures you would ask a client to select? similarly, what would it be for a 40 page album?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any input on this!</p>

<p>My general rule of thumb is to multiply the cost of the book or album 3-4 times, then add in $300 for design and retouching time. Most album printers have prices online for 10 spreads (two pages facing reach other) with cover for x$. You can then go from there. My general suggestion is to keep it simple. There are literally hundreds of choices out there between sizes, papers, covers, etc. We tell clients that we've done the research for them, and that "this one" is our most popular. It should fall in the middle of three choices you offer, but price accordingly so they see your most popular album as the best value.</p>

<p>You should not take any sort of loss, let alone a huge one. You will later regret every price discount and concession you make. If your price for a 20-spread album is too pricey, ask your clients how many spreads they would like to take out. I make my living from photography, so I may be giving you advice that sounds overly harsh. But I'd be surprised if the other pros on here don't agree that a) you shouldn't give anything away and b) keep your prices consistent with the value you're delivering.</p>

<p>Years ago I thought our prices were a little high until a client told me what she paid for her last album. That cured my guilt right away. The other photographer was charging $180 for an extra spread that cost him $6 for the lab plus whatever design time it took. And I know he was using a template, so design time was minimal. I'd rather sell six extra spreads at $50 each then one or two at 3x that price.</p>

<p>As for the number of images per album, that's going to be totally dependent on your design style. Our albums average 4.5 images per spread in a 10x10 album (so, a 10x20 spread). But that's in a layflat album with no break for the gutter. (http://www.mckennapro.com/products-home.cfm#) If you're thinking about 80 pages, I would think you'd have to go with a press printed book or album.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>There is a big confusion with pages and sides. When you say 80 pages do you mean 80 pages with 160 sides or do you mean 80 sides which is 40 pages? see what I mean. Generally when people say page they mean one designed side and that is how the album companies bill. The basic rule of number of picture is 2X per side or 4x per 2 page spread. I like to do full page pictures and a few panoramic spreads so I add 1.7 per page to allow for this type of layout. In the end it is what ever you want to do so there is no right or wrong. If I use a program like Fundy Albums I could easily do 5 or more images per page as it creates multi picture collages. So the real question is do you charge by the picture or do you charge by the page.</p>

These are helpful responses thank you!! To clarify Michael, it's 80 pages - 160 sides, etc. I was speaking to another

photographer this weekend who works extremely quickly and has it down to a science. He charges based on a $100/hr

concept plus the cost of the book. His prices start at $1,000. If I did that the poor client would be bankrupt lol. I don't

intentionally want to take a loss but it may happen on the first few as I'll likely be working slowly and being overly

meticulous - I hope not though. My lowest price on a few options I started building prices on is $600.

<p>"If I did that the poor client would be bankrupt lol." - in that case, and this might sound harsh, the client will either need to find the money or simply have fewer pages. Look, I once customized my dream car on BMW's site - wasn't within my budget so I bought a Mini. Same here - find what their budget is and then see what you can offer them. They might only be able to afford a 20 page (10 spreads) 12*8 hardcover with no frills from Graphi - which is a great book but nothing compared to their 16*16 100 page leather album. The former you can get for 150 so sell it for 600 whereas the latter would retail for over 2000. None of this is cheap. But then again, cheap albums look cheap and won't stand the test of time. And pricing yourself so you're affordable to clients who really can't afford that type of album won't sustain you financially.</p>