How much does Canon charge to repair lenses?

juans eye

<p>I was taking pictures yesterday and placed my camera on one of my filing cabinets when I got home. The next morning, I proceeded to do stuff around my home office and was just flooded with work. So much work that I had to charge my phone in the middle of the day from over use. Brought out the charger, wired up the phone and placed it on the filing cabinet. Well, more calls came in and I reached for my phone. The charger caught my DSLR and it flew off the table. SMASH!<br>

The lens filter is dented, which is the least of my problems. My EF 28 1.8 has the plastic frame around the front element cracked. The crack seems to go thru to the gold ring. They seem to be connected. The front element is fine. The body of the lens is fine. I powered up and the lens focuses. I am sending it in to repair the crack.<br>

Does anyone have any idea how much a repair like that will cost with Canon? Anybody have a fairly good guesstimate?<br>

Again, the lens works. Focuses ok.<br>

CRUSHED,<br>

Bing</p>

<p>A few years back, Canon Hawaii used to have a minimum charge of $175 plus parts for any repair. Probably different now but I would show it to the tech and ask for a ball park figure and a phone call when the final estimate is in. They never know what they may find once it's disassembled. </p>

<p>If you bought it with certain credit cards you may be covered for accidents for the first year.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>i dropped and dented the metal mount on my 70-200 f4. It would have been at least $185 for canon to repair and they don't give you a "final" estimate till after you pay the "initial" estimate and then they open it. Should it be more, they reimburse you the $185( in my case) and recharge you the new larger estimate. Should you decide not to have it repaired, you lose the original estimate amount you paid ( ie $185 for mine). It's according to lens though which is what that link should show you. But beware, that is <em>not</em> a final estimate and canon told me it could be up to double for mine...to replace a $40 part in my case.<br>

This was for the NJ repair center ( although I think I actually talked to someone in Virginia iirc). When i called in they originally told me $100, then once i sent it in they gave me the "tentative" $185 estimate in an email then the $300+ estimate when i called again to ask why estimate #2 was so much more than they quoted me over the phone. this was in July so doubt it's much different now</p>

<p>KEH on the other hand looked at it for free and fixed it total, including shipping back to me, for $145</p>

<p>I've had two Canon repair experiences this year. They charged me $95 (total with tax and shipping $118) to fix up my 28-70 -- the details are hard to make out, looks like they replaced something and adjusted other things.</p>

<p>Somehow I had bent the inner barrel on my 70-200 f4L (no idea how that happened!), it was $256 total. In both cases, the final charge was the same as the estimate.</p>

<p>Have you ever dealt with some particular company and come away with the feeling: "these guys seem to be on a different wavelength".</p>

<p>Canon's repair centre, at least the one closest to me in Canada, does seem to march to a different drummer. In 3 dealings I've had with them, they adamantly refuse to give an estimate prior to my shipping the repair item to them. And then when they receive it, they make an estimate <em>solely</em> on the class of repair, without assessing what they've received, at least that's my take on it.</p>

<p>The number they propose is purely due to the class of repair, ie: lens repair is one dollar value, body repair another. They've even explained this to me.</p>

<p>Well, it wasnt so bad. At least I did not have to buy a new lens. Total was $ 144.</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="720">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td colspan="2">

<p ><strong> Examination / Request Details: </strong></p>

</td>

<td rowspan="10"></td>

<td colspan="2"></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2" rowspan="2">

<p >FILTER RING CRACKED. REPAIR TO GOOD WORKING ORDER. FLAT RATE REPAIR MODEL , PARTS AND LABOR INCLUDED IN PRICE. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >It would have been a harrowing wait without knowing what I was up for.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks guys! <br /> </p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

• 4 years later...
<p>The minimum charge that Canada (in Canada) charges before you send in your lens is $319.00 that includes labour and up to $100 in parts. Whether or not you spend more depends on if you damaged more than $100 worth in parts. I dropped one of my Canon L lenses and after I paid the $319 for them to access the damage, they let me know if would cost another $336.46 to fix. Total cost to repair my $1800 lens was $681 and change + the cost to ship it to them. Make sure you add your camera equipment to your business / home insurance.</p>

• 10 months later...