How much better is a modern 24-70mm zoom than an older f/2.8 normal zoom?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by chulster, May 23, 2020.

1. I have used the 24-70 f2.8G since I bought it with my D3 over 12 years ago.
    It's a great lens and has accounted for a high proportion of my commercial work since then, it has never let me down or needed servicing.
    Since switching to Z6s it actually performs splendidly (if a little front heavy) so it will be with great reluctance when I eventually upgrade to the Z version.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  2. Lens arrived today. This copy is a turd. The focus mechanism is faulty: it "catches" at about 10 feet focal distance, refusing to go past that mark, whether in autofocus or manual. I can "flick" the focus ring past the sticking point, but then it just sticks again from the other direction. Worse, when it sticks, the camera goes dead. Viewfinder lights go off and controls become unresponsive. I have to cycle power to restore functionality. This dud is going back to the seller.

It's a damn shame, because in my limited testing (below 10 feet), the image quality of the lens was very promising. At f/2.8, sharp across a generous central area. At f/4, tack-sharp edge-to-edge. Easily sufficient for my modest needs. Alas, this being my second faulty copy out of two tried, my interest in this lens may have dried up for good. Just as well. Perhaps I'll spend the money on a 28mm f/2 for my newly-acquired FE.

Fiddlefye and ericphelps like this.
  3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

My 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S is still an excellent lens optically. I bought mine back in 2001, but its AF-S motor has died in the last year or two from old age. I bought the 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S VR 3, 4 years back and I haven't touched the 28-70 much for a few years, but the AF motor went anyway without me using it at all. I am not going to spend money to fix it.

4. Would you like to sell me your 28-70mm for cheap? I could either try to fix/replace the AF motor or just use it as a manual-focus lens.

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

At this point I am just keeping most of my old lenses. Even a working 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S is not worth that much any more. My suggestion is to get a mid zoom that starts from 24mm. It makes a pretty big difference between 24mm and 28mm, and I would much rather have 24mm. The long end you can always crop a bit There is not much you can do when your lens is not wide enough.

6. Take a giant step backwards while being very aware of where the edge of the cliff is. <GRIN>

7. Well, there's always stitching...

bgelfand likes this.
  8. Good point....:)

Without realising I was going near a classic 'viewpoint' on trip to Scotland, I'd gone out for the day with my 200-500mm (birds), a Tamron 90mm macro (flowers) and my rather weighty Sigma 40mm 1.4 (Err, can't remember!).... and left the 24-36mm f2 and 14mm 2.8 at base camp.

In portrait orientation and a good 30% overlap I managed to capture the vista with the 40mm and about 10 frames. The final result didn't have that 'but everything is so small' WA/UWA problem.

It's off for 20" x 40" printing at the mo'.:cool:

kevin_beretta and bgelfand like this.
  9. That's a sad situation. Too bad as they're pretty bullet-proof (autofocus lenses go). Probably not a difficult fix, either. I'd guess one of the contact strips has come adrift and needs to be put back in place.

chulster likes this.