How much bandwidth/storage for wedding website?

tara mauldin

Hi, I just wondered what you guys thought a reasonable amount of

space/bandwidth would be needed for a wedding/photography website?

I am looking at godaddy.com and they offer 5gb space / 250gb

bandwidth, 50 / 500, or 100 / 1000. I don't want to buy too much,

what do you guys think? Thanks for your advice as always! Tara :)

all depends on how popular and active your site is going to be. 5gb of storage is more than enough. you figure your site, including gallery, likely wont be over 5-10mb. if you do a HUGE gallery could go to 15mb. you can multiply that times the number of people you expect to view your site each month and you have an idea of how far 250gb of bandwidth will really take you. bear in mind that the number of people that visit your site will be far more than you expect... and the same person visiting multiple times usually eats up new bandwidth each time.

The only other thing i end up using my bandwidth/storage space for is to send clients (and friends) large files from time to time... just upload the file to your site, then email them a link and you dont have to worry about problems with email attachments.

I would think 250gb of bandwidth will easily be overkill... but i'm not sure just how little you need. Anyone have a popular site they can check the traffic logs on? Mine isnt popular enought to be of much use =)

I have 7 GB of space. I'm using 65megs

I have "unlimited" bandwidth. I've stayed under 1 GB bandwidth per month so far.

I get an average of 25-30 visits a day (not total hits, unique visits)

My site uses the Joomla content management system with a PHP/mySQL database backend so every page is rendered on the fly (no static html).

Your mileage may vary! You don't need a lot, unless you are planning on having hundreds of visitors a day.

I recommend midphase.com for an ISP. They are wicked fast, located in Chicago so they are a central location.

Aaron Lee