How Many Weddings Booked? How Many More?

ni_gentry

I set a goal of trying to book 18 to 20 weddings of my own this year. I just

got the contract/retainer for number 10, so I'm about half way there. But

honestly, I thought I'd have more by now since some of those signed at the end

of 2006. I'm still just a part-time wedding shooter along with my regular day

job.<p>

I'm wondering how far in advance you guys normally get your bookings? I guess

I'm wondering how much likelyhood that I'll meet my target. 6 of the 10 that

I have are in July/August. I've gotten a number of inquiries for dates I'm

booked and had to refer those to other photographers. Of course several of

those were for July 7.<p>

So how many do you guys have booked and how many more do you expect?

I have myself booked 24 weddings. This number is up from last year. I am in my 12th year as a wedding photographer and remember a time when I had 50 for the year. Alot of factors have contributed to the decline of the professional wedding photographer: economy (smaller weddings, family photographers), social values (living together for longer period), the ease and quality of the prosumer digital cameras, etc. I believe that our industry is finally back on the upswing. Many people regret having sacrificed quality for cost and are now returning to the professionals. Also, many people are using the internet as opposed to the old yellow pages. It is important to have a website that is search engine optimised so that people are able to find you. I would focus on your demographic as well. Hope this helps.

Hello Ni,

I think you are in So Cal, so if you want to refer any weddings to me I wouldn't say no! haha :) My two majorly booked months are April and Septemeber.

My goal this year is booking 15. This is my 2nd year of my business but most of the first year I spent assisting/learning.

I have 11 booked in 2007 so far as of today. I have 3 more contracts/deposits "in the mail". So maybe I should have aimed higher?

I read somewhere on an established photogs blog that their busy booking season goes till the end of April. That makes sense to me!

In the northeast the booking season is from end of January through the end of april. You will get most bookings from mid February (something to do with Valentine's day?) and by Mid March they are winding down.

By now, in this area, you will likely have most of what you are going to get for the 2007 spring and summer booked. June is the big month but September and October are very good as well due to fall foliage in this area.

If you are NOT booked pretty solid by now you need to visit your business plan and sales ability. Selling weddings is not like selling siding or windows.. your personality counts.

20 is also my limit Ni. Have 13 booked so far. Probably will do 17 or 18. It's a bit slower here

because of the economy in Detroit Metro area.

Also had quite a few conflicts this year for some reason. Luck of the draw I guess.

I don't advertise, or work shows, or do anything really. Just word of mouth. I guess if you

limit your bookings and don't push for more in other ways, the word of mouth effect is

less ... it's just simple math.

I limited myself to 20 and just booked my 24th wedding of 2007. I finally put a message on the front page of my website that says I'm not taking any more 2007 bookings.

I have also had THREE 2008 requests just this week (all referred from ONE former client!). I teach full time, and have eight weddings before the end of this school year (starting this Saturday) and eight after school starts in the fall, then the rest are during the summer.

I think I'm too cheap (still) so my prices are going up again next year (they went up 25% this year). Oh, and no advertising...all word of mouth.

Jen

I am also in the Northeast and I would agree with the booking timeframe however I have a question that I think might be interesting to most here.

I am pretty well booked up for the second half of 2007 but seem behind this year for early 2007 and 2008 dates. Last year I had more bookings early on and am definitely seeing a drop off in bookings this year for both 2007 and 2008. Typically my brides have booked 12 to 16 months in advance. I realize it is only March of 2007 but I only have one booked for 2008 so far.

My 2007 has no bookings before June so I am wondering if I will see more late bookings this spring and summer for late 2008 or if the market is slumping for pro photographers. I have pretty much given up on early 2007 and am using the time to biuld a new studio. I have even offered steep discounts for early 2007 with no bites but yet I have turned down many dates for latter 2007 because I am already booked.

Any comments? My knee jrk reaction is to drop my prices but I have competitors that are much higher then me who claim they are booked up. Never had this problem in the past.