How many pictures should i give the client after the wedding?

susan_winn

<p>I have photographed about four weddings. So I am still learning and experimenting with what works and what doesn't during the wedding. </p>

<p>For wedding I am there for 4-10 hours. I photograph probably around 800-1200 pictures (like I said still experimenting). After the wedding I go through the photographs and find the good ones and do basic color correction. I then post them on kodak.com and let the client look at them and purchace if they want (yes I don't make any money off that) and if they want fancy things done, they can tell me which pictures they want it done to and i do it. when all is said and done I have anywhere from 400-700 photographs i give the client. I know this is a little much. how many photographs should i give the client?</p>

<p>It really matters less about the total number of images vs the total expectations of images.<br>

I personally believe that 600 like David does, is really a good target, dependent on many many things. That being said, we do live in a time of "more is better" so you must educate your client about what you feel is the number you expect to bring home.</p>

<p>Truth be told if you asked them what they thought was an appropriate number they wouldn't have the foggiest notion. The real explosion of images comes from the reception. 4-40 pictures of all sorts of stuff that really has very little chance of even making it to the facebook page let alone an album page or more rare, the wall in the home. <br>

Believe me, if you just focused on the B/G at the reception, you'd end up being just fine...so long as you told them!!</p>

<p>If you don't outline expectations in your contract before the wedding then you're setting yourself up for potential confusion and conflict with your clients. Such situations have been discussed here before, and what often happens is that you end up with a client who want to see/have all the photos you shot at their wedding. Not an ideal situation by any means.<br>

For my weddings, where there are two photographers and we shoot for up to 12 hours I give my clients around 700 photos on disc. Their online Smugmug gallery has far less, around 225; this is the gallery where friends, family and guests can buy photos (at profit!). The Smugmug gallery is preceded by an even smaller blog post, which is for public consumption. This works for me, but might not be your business model at all.</p>

<p>I charge enough up front that any money I make from print sales is just icing on the cake. Most print sales are from guests at the weddings, sometimes parents. 85% of my clients do not live in the area that I work in, they come here for destination weddings, so meeting to sell prints and enlargements after the fact is not feasible. </p>

<p>They usually get a couple hundred from me. <br>

Let's see, most wedding albums I make have, at most, 50 to 75 photos, depending on the size of the album & number of spreads.<br>

Then another dozen or so to make enlargements & prints for themselves, family & friends. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Alex, I always have out of town guests at my weddings but they hardly buy anything. I too treat online sell as icing on the cake and I don't charge a lot, like $1.50 for a 4x6 and so on. <br>

I can only chalk it up to the older folks don't know how to buy online and the younger FB crowd wouldn't bother buying prints anymore. The last wedding had 10 young people in the wedding party and they didn't buy anything. It isn't a heavily advertised part of my business so maybe that's why.</p>

<p> </p>