How many pics will fit on a 1 GB memory card?

bman0023

Hi all, I will be getting a Nikon D-50 soon and am trying to figure

out how many pictures will fit on a 1GB memory card so I will be able

to find out how many I need to buy. I will be shooting NEF files to

the highest resolution I can. The clerk at the camera store claimed

that I can fit about 500 highest quality pics on a GB card, but this

does not seem right, and he didn't seem to know much about the camera

either. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

Brad

thanks to all for the info. so it sounds like I can get about 130 or so of the highest quality pics on a GB card! Not too bad! I am going to Maine next month. I will certainly switch to digital. The cost of film, processing, and shipment will be recovered in one trip alone it seems! Plus I get to see the results right there. I hope I can edit the NEF files in Adobe CS.

Thanks,

Brad

Dale, the long exposure NR doesn't take up any extra space on the card. It takes extra time, but not extra space.

Brad, you camera store clerk was obviously ill-informed, but I'm also a bit surprised by those who only get 130. With the D70, when shooting RAW only (no JPG), you get quite a few more (170-180). That's more inline with what Michael and Ilkka posted above. Maybe the D50 shows 130 remaining to be conservative, but actually holds more? (The D70 was programmed this way at one point).

If you're going to be out shooting for multiple days, I'd think you'd want more than one card if you don't have a laptop. Luckily CF cards are cheap these days (don't buy at that camera store though - check out Buy.com, Amazon, and NewEgg.com).