How many LF shooters work also with MF?

armin_seeholzer

I have a Rolleiflex F2,8 that sees some use, but less and less since I discovered Azo paper. If I could enlarge with Azo, (which I hear MIGHT be possible in the future) then the Rolleiflex would definatly see more action.

I have the Mamiya 7 with an 80mm and 65mm lens, but it's going upü for sale soon.

I work in a number of different formats, medium among them. There are times when it is simply impossible to use a view camera. I've made photographs in pouring rain and high wind in which it was difficult to even keep an MF camera from blowing away on its tripod. I wouldn't have been able to unfold a view camera under those circumstances, let alone make photographs. There are also times when, after a day of trekking with 40 lbs. of LF gear, I want to "relax" a bit and just hang a TLR around my neck and explore the late day light without being overloaded with equipment. Different siuations require different approaches sometimes. When making my Civil War portfolio, I needed SLR functionality to capture action scenes. I didn't have a Graflex 4x5 SLR then, so I brought both my 4x5 view for static, staged scenes and an MF SLR with mirror lock-up for the action scenes. http://www.razeichner.com/civilwar/index.htm

I have an old Bronica S2A that I like. I got it a few years ago in mint condition, so I'm not worried about having to finding parts. While probably not as good as modern day optics, I'm pleasantly surprised by the excellent results that I get with the lenses which go with this camera.

For color, there's no comparison to 4x5. (Except 8x10!). But, for B&W, I tend to gravitate towards roll film, either on the 4x5 or on my S2A. I usually print on 8x10 paper.

Armin,

due to the very high price of 4x5 color films in France, I use b&w 4x5, and 6x9 (centimeters!)color slide or print films in a linhof back.

I also frequently use an old mamiya rb pro, and,from time to time, a small digital canon.

this range of cameras and sizes allow me to adapt my photography to circumstances, location, and mood.

it seems to me that many photographers behave this way, like artits who use watercolors, pencils, oil, or any means thats fits their creating desire.

regards to all

I use MF for color work which is usually job type work for others where I have specific goals and wants of a customer. I use all of the LF for my own personal work in B/W. The MF is an old Mamiya Universal that allows 6X7 or 6X9. Had a nice compliment just last friday too. A lady that works in 4X5 was viewing 14 20X30's from Velvia that are on display right now at the Brewery Arts Center in Carson City Nevada and asked if they had been done with an 8X10. In fact they were done with the 6X9cm. Tells me the info is getting there just fine in mf. Why not carry that through to the B&W's? Grain, tonality, contact prints for pt/pd are just a few of the reasons discussed here often enough.

I use the format that works best for me, depending on time, distance to hike, and conditions. In an idea world, I'd shoot 4x5 for everything. Much of the time, though, I use my Fuji GX680III as my "all purpose" camera (landscape, flower portraits, semi-macro, beginning to dabble in architecture, etc); I love the camera and it gives me the movements that I want for everything except the most extreme instances. I also shoot 617 panoramic, and have done a lot of 645 although I haven't used it much since acquiring the 680.

Regards,

Danny

www.dannyburk.com

i use a hasselblad "swc" for touring, i find that it is a very good "lf" substitute and when it is leveled will produce a distortion free, paralax corrected image, by croping the bottom off of the negs i get great results. sometimes (for me) "lf" is such hard and intense work lf that on holidays and things i prefer mf.

I use frequently the Master Technika handheld with the rangefinder (Linhof be blessed) and 120 rollfilm in 6x9 format.

Otherwise, I use a 2,8 TLR Rollie for "everydays photography". IMHO, the TLR has a kind of "contemplative philosophy",very close from large format. Not as aggressive as a reflex for street photography.

I shoot either 8 x 10 or Noblex, the rotating camera from Dresden. It's the only that works, though mine burnt out last months on the first day of a commission in Yorkshire, and I had to take the train to London to buy the only one in the city. After the 8 x 10, it seems extraordinarily easy to use -- though this is also because I cut my photographic teeth on an old Kodak Panoram (which required repairmen in NY, Rome and London and which had more bad days than good. I think it's good to change tools, though in moderation. It takes, in my experience, a long time to "inhabit" your camera, and to know what it can do and see.

I actually currently shoot about 90% of my work on medium format. My system

consists of two RB67 bodies, a few backs, 65mm, 127mm, and 250mm KL

lenses, polaroid back, etc. I find that with this I can shoot just about everything

I need to, with the exception of stuff shot in really low light (yeah Leica for that)

or things that simply require movements. For just about all of my applications,

a 6x7cm neg shot on Fuji NPS with Mamiya glass gives me more than

enough sharpness and resolution. Which isn't to say that I'll be getting rid of

my LF stuff anytime....not by a long shot, only that I find the mix of convenience

and quality with shooting color neg on medium format to be a great formula

for what I'm doing right now.<div>003xYM-10024484.jpg.f79de29d45f6b4d3bfd98d6c862e4dc0.jpg</div>

I feel I don't really qualify to answer since I use MF (mainly Pentax 67) for about 75 % of the time and small format for 20 % of the time. LF is only the remaining 5 %, so I don't really consider myself LF shooter...

I use it when it suits the situation better than MF, that is, when I need the tilts and shifts, or just want the big transparency. Otherwise I would always use MF instead.