How many lenses without the aperture coupling lever?

yuri_sopko

<p>The three Nikon PC-E lenses use electronic aperture control instead of the traditional mechanical control. However, those are manual-focus lenses, not AF-S.</p>

<p>Off the top of my head, other Nikon lenses that have no mechanical aperture control are the mirror lenses, since they are have a fixed aperture that do not need to be controlled - no aperture diaphragm.</p>

<p>I've realized that some people think that the apertures of Nikon G type lenses are controlled electronically simply because they don't have aperture rings, which is not true. All Nikkor lenses with automatic aperture diaphragms are controlled mechanically.</p>

<p>As Shun noted, the three current PC-E lenses are the only exceptions whose diaphragms are controlled electronically. As opposed to the other Nikkor lenses, these PC-E lenses are shifted and tilted, which makes the conventional mechanical coupling impossible.</p>

<p>There are also the old manual fully mechanical PC shift lenses. I have a 35mm, and I believe there was a similar 24mm lens. These have no aperture coupling whatsoever, but instead use a preset diaphragm. </p>

<p>I believe the old bellows Nikkor lenses, such as the 105mm f/4, also have preset diaphragms with no aperture coupling whatsoever.</p>

<p>Hrmm... these actually were good responses as it lead me to think about buying an older but decent macro lens with an aperture ring. But, I also play around a lot with enlarger lenses and what not for macro. Which obviously have no coupling in them. <br>

I was just hoping for a lens that would allow for electronic diaphragm control other then the new PC ones.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was just hoping for a lens that would allow for electronic diaphragm control other then the new PC ones.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be a difficult change for Nikon to make because the only Nikon SLR bodies that can use that electronic diaphragm control are the D3 series, D700, and the D300 series. For anything else, you must go back to the aperture ring to control the opening of the aperture diaphragm; that also means you cannot use the P (program) and S (shutter priority) exposure modes.</p>

<p>Bjorn, I think Yuri was talking about removing the traditional mechanical aperture lever completely, as in the case of the three PC-E lenses.</p>

<p>When that mechanical lever is gone, all Nikon DSLRs other than the D3, D700, and D300 series I mentioned above cannot control the aperture diaphragm from the body any more. That is why P and S (where the body selects the aperture for you) will no longer be possible.</p>