How many files can you batch process with CS5?

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by justin_stott, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I thought that this would be an easy google search to find out, but when I try to batch process large numbers of files in photoshop, usually to convert from tiff to jpg for printing or web use, I get the error message that I have tried to process too many images, and the process stops. This seems to happen after about 200 images.
    I am running CS5 on a new iMac with plenty of horsepower, fast processor, 8 gigs of ram, images from a 5d Mk II or an Olympus E-P1.
    Is there a standard limit to the number of files that can be processed, or is it related to file size?
    Thanks for your input!

2. If you use Image Processor (File>Scripts>Image Processor) the number is, I think, unlimited. It works by opening, processing, then closing each image in turn, and will do so for each image in a nominated folder, so there is no need to have many images open at once.

3. And Lightroom's Export function is an elegant way to do this sort of thing without needing Photoshop, but it does not do Actions as part of each conversion.

4. Make sure the action or script is written to save and close each file at the end of processing. Then there is no limit to the number of files which can be processed in a batch.

5. I don't do much batch processing, but wouldn't the number be limited by the amount of available computer memory?

6. I have a curves+sharpening action I apply to all the jpgs of a wedding I edit, and it goes through about 800 pretty fast.

7. Michael, read my and Edward's posts again - with only one image open at a time there is no limit to the number that
    can be processed.