How Many Cameras Is More Than Enough!?...What Is Your Camerqa Inventory?

todd frederick

I have listed this under "Vanity of Vanities," for sure.

I just bought a black Yashica Electro (which I previously owned and

sold ...with extreme regret)...my cost: $60 eBay (and I don't even

know if it works...though the seller says it is "perfect")!

Am I crazy?

I have more cameras than I can ever use.

Am I obsessive?

Question: what is your camera inventory?

Are you camera crazy too?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the only one (besides your wife, maybe) who can decide whether you've got too many cameras. As long as your kids are fed, what's the harm? $60 is pretty cheap for this hobby. Besides, you can justify the Yashica as a camera that you'll take to places that are too risky for a Leica.

I own quite a variety myself. I also shoot most of them at least occasionally. People probably think I look funny hauling around that huge Koni-Omega, but just wait 'til the chromes come back.

Yes, I am and you are not alone. If there is a AA for alcoholism, then I think we should at least have one AA place to go for camera addicts.

I really only need a Leica M6 wiht two lenses, instead I have a lot more than that. The inventory is making me shameful but here goes:

On 35mm, two M6s with Elmerit 21mm f2.8, Elmerit 28mm f2.8, Summilux 35mm f1.4, Summicron 35mm f2, Summicron 50mm f2, Elmar 90mm f4, Elmar 135mm f4 plus one M5, a Minolta CLE, a Voiglander L with VC 25mm lens, A Canon GIII-QL17, A Nikon N80 with two zoom lenses, and a Nikon F wiht several prime lenses from that age.

On MF side, I have Fuji GW690III rangefinder, A Rolleicord Va TLR, A Mamiyaflex TLR with 80mm, a Mamiya 645 SLR with 80mm.

Finally, I am acquiring more. It's crazy and really, wasteful. None of these are making me a better photographer. Answering all these questions on this forum does not make me any better photographically either.

Hello Todd,<p>

I thought that I had a bad case of photo-materialism. I have at present 4 cameras: 2 Nikon SLRs, and two Canon P&S.<p>For the SLRs I have 10 lenses. At present, I feel that this is more than enough, since I don't really feel that I have a comfortable working familiarity with the newly acquired lenses. Until I've made good use of what I have, I can't say that I want to get any more gear.

Great question.I knew it was a great question when I realized that even after selling a bunch of stuff I'm still not really sure what I do have. Do non-functioning cameras that you plan on fixing count? Like my R4s and SL2 and original Leicaflex? Top of my head: Minolta Autocord, Rolleiflex T, Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100,Leica CL, Leica M3, Leica M2 button rewind, Leica M2, Leica M2-R, Bessa L, Minolta X-700. Then there's the Visoflex II-S, lots of glass from 15mm (sold the fish eyes) to 400mm. And a Polaroid 110-B with pack back conversion.

I have a severe case

35mm-

M6ttl Panda,

M6ttl Black LHSA,

Hasselblad Xpan,

Hexar RF,

Hexar AF,

Voigtlander Bessa L,

Contax T black,

Silver Canonet G-III 17,

Black Canonet G-III 17,

Olympus XA,

Canon A-1 waterproof,

Ricoh Gr1v,

Nikon FM3A,

Nikon 2002,

Nikon F100,

Medium format-

Pentax 645N-II AF,

Mamiya 645 pro,

Fuji GS645 folder,

Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9,

Fuji GX 617 panoramic

Large format-

Arca Swiss compact metric 4x5

Digital-

Casio Exilm,

Canon G1,

Canon G2,

Fuji S2 pro

Many many lenses

Jesse Kramer, M.D.

One is enough. But more are interesting and offer a variety to shoot with. Hexar RF, M6 Classic, Canon IIS, Minox 35EL, Wollensak Stereo 10, Revere Stereo 33, TDC Colorist II, Pentax 645, Voightlander Bessa 6X9,

Zeiss Contaflex Super BC, 2 Pentax MEF, Retina IIa, Minolta Himatic7,

Polaroid 360, and Canon Powershot S10. They all work and are used. The best shooters of the bunch are the Hexar RF and the Wollensak Stereo 10.

As a working pro I owned many cameras, strobes, etc.

Probably at a given time:

Nikon FTn w/ 3-4 lenses.

Nikon FM-2 backup

Nikon 8008

Olympus XA snapshooter

Bronica ETRSi system, 3-lenses, 3-backs, etc.

4x5 Cambo w/3 lenses

Now I mainly shoot for fun with just an Olympus C-Series digital.

Todd,

you are asking the completely wrong crowd. It seems to me that the average regular poster here has more gear/systems than most pros I ever met.

Personally I have tried a lot of different systems/brand during the last 2 years, but I immediately sell off the stuff I don't like a 100% or feel that would overlap what I have. It simply becomes too distracting to more important things in life.

If having loads of camera gear makes you happy and it doesnt' take away from any other responsibilities one haves, by all means, keep the economy going. Or perhaps some the heavy collectors should sell the Leica gear they don't really need/use - and strike a blow to the used market and drive down prices! :-)

Like someone here recently told me in a post:

"Be careful around the man who owns only one gun -- he probably knows how to use it!"

You guys are scary! 2 M6 TTL's, 35 lux asph, 75 lux, noctilux, and now just added: Sony DSC-P10 digicam. Fun little camera- fits in a pocket and optional 1 gigabyte card and extra battery lets one shoot away. And that is it. Had a camcorder, sold it recently. Have an enlarger and projector as well. Keeping it simple is nice- have an urge to explore macro, don't want to add a non-M body so if I get serious about that I'll get the new 90mm macro M. Then again, the Sony does focus down to 3.9" but the distortion is pronounced.

i've got it down to the right tools for the job most of the time.<br />

leica m6 ttl>> 35 summilux asph ,135 TE <br />

contax g2 >> 21mm biogon, 28mm biogon, 45mm planar, 90mm planar<br />

rollei 6008E >> 80mm planar,90mm symmar, (180mm Tele-Xenar this week!) <br />

It's infectious, M2, M3, M6, M7...35 f1.4 50 f2 90f2.0 VC 15mm

Blad w/ 80 & 50...2 Holgas....Nikon F3, N90s, D1....various nikkor AF....Pentax optio

3.2mp point & shoot...nikon action touch H20 proof PS....Cambo 4x5 monorail....4x5

wooden pin hole....any many others I have parted with over the years....HELP:)

Hi,

I always thought I had a severe camera addiction but reading through the posts, it seems it is not as bad as I thought!!!!! Probably I got this impression by my wife who hates me for buying camera stuff.

I got F3HP, F5 and many lenses ranging from 600/4 AFSII to 24mm AIS. Will buy a FM3a and a DSLR (?D2X) eventually. Also if I had money wouldn't mind having a Leica MP with 35/75 Lux lenses.

Cheers

I have an M6 classic, MP .85, and a VC Bessa R2. Lenses: VC 15mm Helliar, 21mm Asph, 28mm Summicron, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron, and an Apo 135mm. And actually, I want to get rid of one of my bodies.

I feel well now. Thanks Todd.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Hi, my name's Doug and I'm a cameraholic.<P>

A couple of years ago I realized while on vacation that I had too

much photo gear, and that I was letting the safety and security of

the equipment influence too many of my vacation decisions.<P>

I've shed a bunch of under-used things and every day I fight the

impulse to buy more stuff. I'm down to 6 R lenses, as it turns out

there's one for each Leicaflex. 60 Macro, 90 Summicron, 100

APO, 280 f/4 APO, 400&560 f/6.8 Telyts - except for the one

camera in my hands, it all fits in a day pack.