How many cameras do you own/use on a regular basis?

shuo_zhao

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This will be an approximate count as I have sold a few that I don't need, but here goes: One digital SLR and one digital P&S. 6 manual focus Minoltas, 4 Maxxums, 1 EOS Rebel K, 2 manual focus Pentaxes, 1 AF Pentax, 1 Yashica SLR, 1 Konica SLR, 7 fixed lens rangefinders, 3 scale focusing 35mm, 1 TLR, 2 645 SLRls, a Crown Graphic, and 1 half-frame 35. Also have some P&S cameras: Olympus Stylus Epic, Konica A3, Yashica T3, and Olympus IS-30. I generally use them all, although I'll probably sell my Maxxum 8000i and Minolta XG-9. I will probably sell my Kodak Pony 35 and Kodak Retina too. I just don't get around to using them as much as the others. <br />The two Mamiya 645s are working cameras. The Maxxum 5 and XTSI are used for work too. For digital jobs I use my Rebel XT. The others are mostly for fun.</p>

<p>"Am I "owning too many cameras"?"</p>

<p>Not if they have specific uses. Most photographers have at least two, the second being for backup. It's nice if the backup also serves a unique role. I have a 5D and a 40D for backup. This way I have the best of all worlds -- full frame and crop, high frame rate, live view, high ISO, low noise. I just sold my 10D, because it was redundant -- low-light capabilities of my 5D and crop format of my 40D. It didn't do a better job of anything than either of my other two cameras, so the third camera had to go. I've been paring down lately, getting rid of useless redundancies and equipment I no longer use.</p>

<p>Of course if we're talking about too many cameras, then there's the fleet of cameras in my collection. That's a different thing altogether -- a pathology of sorts. These aren't my "working" cameras, but I do love them.</p>

<p>Mike! You're speaking my pathology! Is that Retina pre- or post-war? If it's 1930's, how much do you want for it?</p>

<p>Know where I could score a nice Bantam Special?</p>

Like Sarah I have a bunch on display, mostly 126 Instamatics along with several Polaroids, some Brownie types and so on. As for what I use I also have 3 digitals, Nikon in my case. They are worth more to me to use than I could get selling them so what's another camera bag more or less? Another 6 film bodies and a 4x5 round out the ones I carry around. I think about 10 lenses. You can never have too many cameras or too many firearms. Rick H.

<p>If this were on the Classic Manual Cameras forum, you'd find that many of us user-collectors own obscene numbers of cameras, sometimes more and sometimes less.<br>

My daughter when she is home this Christmas, brought me back my Canon EOS Rebel XTi which I had bought as a backup in an emergency, and has taken back her own 20D. So now I am shooting with my own 20D and the XTi. I understand why she wanted to switch back to the XxD series, but the XTi is a nice enough camera if it weren't for the differences in the "user interface" between the two lines.<br>

I typically shoot digitally with two different lenses, so normally carry two bodies. When I'm shooting film with a classic, I usually stick to just one, since in this area we are talking about major differences in controls, etc. from one camera to another.</p>

<p>Sarah, that's a fixed lens Retina from the late 50's. Non-folding with a selenium meter. Shutter and rangefinder work, but the meter isn't accurate. No model number on it. Has an f2.8 lens and a flip-up AG-1 bulb holder on top. Do you know what model it is? Oh, yeah. I liked your website.<br />Shuo- I didn't name the non-working ones. I probably could have a museum. I do have a Voigtlander Vitessa L that needs its rangefinder adjusted. Shutter and aperture work fine. I plan to have repaired eventually and use it again.</p>

<p>I won't list them all. About 50+ total. 116s, 616s,Kodak Bantam in 828, Kodak Retina with a Schneider-Kreuznach lens.4x5 Anniversary Speed, 2x3 Baby Speed, Cambo SCII, Mamiya TLR, Mamiya RB67 Pro-s, Mamiya Universal, ordered a Mamiya M645 Pro. 9-10 Yashica TLRs in 120 and 4x4. 2 Zeiss Ikomats 520/18 3x4s, 2 Kodak Tourists, one with the multi format back kit. Brownie Hawkeye, Zeiss 6x9, Agfa Viking 6x9, Canon Rebel Ti, 3 Minolta SRTs, one Minolta X-370 and one X-370n. These are the ones I try to use , some more than others.</p>

<p>Only one DSLR that I use all the time, and a Canon QL17-III that I don't use anymore since my darkroom stuff went up in flames last year. I also lost two Canon EOS film bodies then. Didn't shoot any film since then. I also have a Fuji S-7000 which still gets regular use and a Canon film P&S that lives in the car since I don't remember when (how would that film come out?).</p>

<p>>> "I don't use anymore since my darkroom stuff went up in flames last year. I also lost two Canon EOS film bodies then."<br>

Sorry to hear about that. Did you mean the two bodies got burned too?</p>

<p>>> "Canon film P&S that lives in the car since I don't remember when (how would that film come out?)."</p>

<p>That's pretty interesting. Btw, it's probably a good idea to keep a P&S camera in the car, just in case of traffic accidents and other incidents...</p>