How Many Bridal Party Pictures?

chimera_h

<p>I'm wondering how many formal/fun bridal party pictures you take at a wedding? Let's say for a standard 45min or so of time after the ceremony and before the reception? Of course there are approx. 6 groups of family to photograph, Bridal party and Bridal pics? How much time would you give to each?</p>

<p>How many of the groom & groomsmen and how many of bride and bridesmaids before the wedding?</p>

<p>Thanks </p>

<p>Chimera,</p>

<p>Personally, I ask the bride and groom before the wedding to create a list of which pictures they <em>want </em> and send me that list<em>.</em> This way, they have time to think about what they really want and not forget something in the craziness of the wedding day.</p>

<p>I find that a lot of my clients don't want to spend time taking endless combinations of group photos when they'd rather be mingling with their guests and enjoying their reception. Then again, I have also had clients give me a list several pages long.</p>

<p>It's all about tailoring your service to your clients' wishes...if you tell them "we will take whatever pictures you want and not force you to spend any extra time taking pictures you don't want," they love you all the more.</p>

<p>This is a very general question and the amount will vary with the size of the wedding, the amount of coverage requested and several other variables. You're welcome to visit the wedding section of my site and see the results of several dozen weddings. Apprentice work or 2nd shooting with an established pro is a good place to get experience with this. The wedding series DVDs available from Photovision can also be a good resource to observe some topnotch pros address this as well.</p>

<p>The numbers for these can vary from 1 to 2 each to maybe 8-10 different, unique (not just multiple) 'poses', although some are directed candids. For the couple only, it could be more than 10. I always get the formal 'must get' images and then try to go from there, the determining factor which puts a limit on the number, being time. Beyond getting those basic, must get images, I wouldn't worry about numbers of images. I'd just be prepared with 'more' ideas and shoot until I couldn't do any more. Usually, you get stopped pretty quick by time constraints.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! I always feel rushed. Meaning, everyone seems so ready to go party that it's hard for me to do much more than a couple of shots. Also, I find it hard to get super creative for that reason as well...they want to leave, time is short, and it's awkward to move a large group around from one spot to another. I did well with the wedding before last, but the one yesterday was an interesting crowd. I can't tell you how many friends I've spoken with that talk about photographers not being prepared or not taking command of a group.....so, I realize this is something I'm going to have to work on.<br>

One more thing.....Do you generally get more shots of the bride than the groom? I had approx. 1 hr with the bride, bridesmaids and her family yesterday. I had about 20 min with the groom and groomsmen (after we found the men in the bar). I seriously got just a few shots of the groom alone, a couple with him and his son, and maybe 4 with all the groomsmen. But, seriously, I took a bunch of the bride. I'm worried she's going to wonder why there aren't more pics of him.<br>

As always, your help is appreciated!</p>

<p>Usually, the bride gets more images than the groom (again--different and unique poses not just multiples of the same posing situation). This is due to two reasons. 1) Girls care more about photos than boys. 2) It's still the bride's day--the story is told from her perspective, still, although that has changed a bit.</p>

<p>In my experience, guys don't care that they have a small number of images. In fact, some wouldn't care if you didn't get any of the groom alone, even groom with guys. Most brides are not concerned that the number of groom's images isn't as high as hers...unless she or they asked for a specific kind of coverage which wasn't met.</p>

<p><em>Do you generally get more shots of the bride than the groom?</em></p>

<p>Of course, it's all about the bride, but it's also important not to neglect the groom, I've been at studios where some of the shooters failed to get any individual pics of the groom all day. Then there are some grooms that love getting portraits.....depends. Also, the day of is not the time to get creative with your shots unless you have a very relaxed, photo-centered B/G with a bunch of time on their hands. Prepare a repertoire of shots that you can turn to on the day of and work within your time contsraints on the day of.</p>

<p>In today's photojournalistic style of shooting, not too many. Ask bride what SHE wants. Some care less about family shots, but you NEED them. On a traditional wedding, I always shoot the wedding party 1st after the wedding, then brides family. 1st shot is B&G, her parents, 2nd shot add all others in the family. So it is just 2 poses unless they ask for more. Same for groom.</p>