How long before you're comfortable/confident shooting...

r.m.

...or are you always nervous before a wedding? I just shot my first

wedding of the season as an assistant/second camera, and I have to

say I was a little unnerved. I've only shot a few other weddings thus

far (all last year), and I thought I would be fine, but my husband &

kids couldn't wait to get me out of the house, I was such a nervous

nellie! Turned out fine, I suppose...though I won't know for sure

until I dev my black & white and see the proofs I shot for the pro,

but it was quite the day.

Tell me, when did you feel confident you could handle whatever came

your way & what would you say was the single most important lesson

one could learn if they wanted to do weddings full time?

" How long before you're comfortable/confident shooting..."

How about never.? Is never good for you?

It's always a nail biter for me before I actually start shooting. I suppose if you really care

about what you're doing you'll always be a little nervous. But it fuels your drive, and keeps

you from becoming complacent. I especially am nervous about the obligatory shots, like

the procession... where I check and recheck everything like some obsessive-compulsive

wacko. Knowing that you get one shot at it could unnerve anyone with an ounce of sense.

It's why some photographers just can't do weddings. They'd have a heart attack.

When I started in 1973, I was nervous and alittle "on end" for about 2 years. I realized that

I could not live with this stress for a number of years. I resolved that I would take one

problem at a time and solve it, completely, so that it could not repeat if possible.

Therefore, I studed every movement, every decision of the Bride and coordinator, etc. I

created a priorities list in my head. I remembered which shots I should re-take later, if

possible. All this took time. I had all the artistic rules and variables to consider as well.

Some photographers keep a mild level of nervousness about them. Me, I actually 'sleep'

in the Bride's living room as I arrive about 2 hours early. I will stay in my car as an

alternative. The Bride is astounded that anyone could be this relaxed. I mean you need to

see the look on their faces. Then, when I spring into action, I am all eyes and action.

Photographing weddings can become routine. In order to increase the stress alittle, the

challenge, I have been the DJ of the ceremony and reception and the photographer at the

same time a few times: Such is my confidence in myself.

Your ability to become relaxed depends upon how willing you are to solve completely

small problems of execution and planning. Sometimes i think of myself as a fighter jet

pilot with a complete set of programmed responses I can trigger. And this is how you will

become relaxed; program yourself. I am sure that tennis stars do this. They don't so

much think as they have a set of programmed responses to 'dance to'. Make your wedding

photography a 'dance'.

I am extremely fast in execution and I do not "hang" on people lurking for a better shot. I

know when I have maximized the situation and i move on. You need to be confident that

you "have it."

The one most important quality you will possibly achieve is to gain patience, greater

patience. The most important lesson that you must remember is to stop doing weddings

when in your heart and mind you feel you cannot give your all. Only do them as you enjoy

them. Quit for a year or two when you feel you have given what you can and you

therefore need a sabbatical. Do not become aggressive and impatient. Become fast,

efficient, kind, caring and accurate. And above all, treat them as you would have them

treat you. A guru from the 1970s once said: "Serve them, feed them."

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

I use rituals, (storing gear a certain way, etc.) back-up gear and

checklists to control my nerves. Even with that, my first roll is

usually crap.

A little nervousness is a good thing, I think. It's an indication that

you care about the results, and that your attention is focused on

the task at hand.

"I check and recheck everything like some obsessive-compulsive wacko..." Ok, I feel better, because that's just what I felt like :).

Timber, funny that you mention the fact that you don't hang on a shot, because that's exactly what I found myself doing, and then muttering to myself that I'd missed a perfectly good shot...need to trust my instincts & just shoot.

I have some twenty weddings I'll be shooting with the pro this summer before I shoot my first booked wedding in Sept. These forums have been tremendously helpful. Thanks for taking the time to give such considered responses.

The way to go from panic to nervous edge is practice, practice, practice. Assisting and second shooting is a great way to learn and practice, because it's like working with a net. You will learn what shots you need to get, when to get them and how to get them. You will get develop and get comfortable with your own sense of style in terms of aesthetics and working with people. You will know where you�re at as you progress from not wanting to �screw up�, to working for good solid shots, to trying for those great shots.

You'll be in panic mode for a while, then migrate to fight or flight mode for a little, then to butterflies, then to edgy, then to mildly nervous. Finally you'll be nervous until you start the shoot, and should click into a groove and sail mode. (I think that's what Timber is referring to...) However if you ever go out for a wedding NOT mildly nervous,

quit doing weddings you've lost the edge to be sharp.

Took me 6 months or about 15 weddings to get there.

Most seasoned wedding photographers I know kind of click with the first shutter trip and go into the groove mode.

It'll get better, but the adrenalin surge never quite goes away, at least I hope not.....

I usually throw up about 1/2 hr before the actual photography,(formals, groom and family, bride and family). Then I kind of get to feel a little

dizzy about 10 minutes till the actual sho0t begins, once I get locked

into the groove so to speak, I won't vomit again for a good 2 hrs., which works out to about 7 or 8 rolls of film, as I am calling it a day

I will start to get the chills and shivers and again will get sick, by

this time the shoots in the bag, and hard part is over, its just how I

do it, and I love it.