how i can reach this effect??

daniele_belardo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This woman looks very well fed and clean to me. The shot was probably taken with the chief illumination being soft light coming from above and to the model's left. There is also probably light on the right side of her head to illuminate the thingie in her hair and a light behind her to illuminate the background.

i LOVE these photographers. they just had an infrared layout in the september or

october W magazine that was incredible.

may i ask a question in here as well?

what do you think they used in this shot?

i mean would this be a high powered strobe with snoot?

http://perso.club-internet.fr/yangabin/modeles/leticiabirkheuer/

pleticiaB3HbUsaJuillet03MertEtMarcusJPG.JPG

hans

that link was to a poor web image

these two photographers in mention are a couple of the most highly respected in the business

if you took a moment to research and not just blow a heavy warm wind from your arse, you would realize they are masters of light and enjoying a life much happier doing what they want to do than you will ever

now go stake a picture of a tree or semething, or simply get out of this thread where others are interested in the topic

threads full of pretty streams and moss await your expertise

Brad Johnson , dec 11, 2003; 11:57 p.m.

hans

"These two photographers in mention are a couple of the most highly respected in the business"

What 'business' would that be? Certainly not photography!

"if you took a moment to research..you would realize they are masters of light..."

Are you on some kind of mind-altering drug? This stuff is unworthy of comment, let alone praise.....

Have you actually seen GOOD photography?

<i>What 'business' would that be? Certainly not photography!</i><p>

Like it or not, fashion photography is very much a business. If

you don't find the particular photographers mentioned very

appealing, perhaps you could recommend some fashion

photographers whose work you admire.<P>

If you hate all fashion photography, you could start a thread

giving a reasoned critique of the genre (though I think one of

those just started over on the Philosophy Forum).<P>

Back on the topic of reproducing the effect in the Natalia

Vodianova shot, I agree with Igor that a large umbrella is the

likely light source. A masked softbox or a beauty dish would give

a similar quality of light when located close to the model, but

there would a more noticeable falloff of intensity between the

model's head and body.

What 'business' would that be? Certainly not photography!

"Like it or not, fashion photography is very much a business. If you don't find the particular photographers mentioned very appealing, perhaps you could recommend some fashion photographers whose work you admire."

Avedon, for one. Perhaps Bailey for another. Scavullo, perhaps.

"If you hate all fashion photography, you could start a thread giving a reasoned critique of the genre (though I think one of those just started over on the Philosophy Forum)."

I don't "hate all fashion photography" but much of it is horrfyingly bad and culturally inexcusable. The models look like re-animated corpses, the clothes look like military surplus, the make-up resembles something from a mortuary, etc....

Fashion is a go forward, fresh, and creative form of photography, never static. Hans, for a person that I seem to share threads with, you constantly have problems that result in a lot flame throwing. <i>(try to be polite and objective when you disagree--- moderator)</i>

Avedon, Bailey and Scavullo all used skinny girls... are they pimps, too? Baily's photographing of young teenaged girls nude was quite sensational years ago. I would think his soft focus fantasy techniques would just make you livid, Hans. Why is he a good example of good fashion photography for you, if morality is such an important component of that genre? <p>The girl in the example b/w photo certainly doesn't look starved, she has quite normal makeup on and I haven't seen any armies dressed in brocade sleeveless dresses lately, so how do your comments relate to this conversation?... Besides, the topic of this thread is about the quality of the light, not the eating habits of the subject, or the morality of fashion editors, or even current trends in makeup technique. <p>Hans, why are you really so angry?... t

Tom & Eric:

I was reacting to the photography exhibited on the pages in question. It is my opinion that it is horrible, with 3 or 4 exceptions.

I get my hair cut at a styling salon, and the magazines there are usually for women. While waiting, I often leaf through some of them. I see a lot of contemporary product photography, including that for fragrence, clothing, soaps, make-up, hair products and cosmetics, etc. A lot of the clothing photography is despicable, and I do not refer to morality, but rather to photographic aesthetics.

Ugly clothes, ugly lighting, ugly angles, ugly hair and make-up. What do you want me to say? The work is ghastly!