How hard is it to get into Wedding Photography..??

sreegraphy

<p>I am a newbee trying for wedding photography and started my photography career a year ago with serious passion though knowing it is an expensive adventure. I shed out all my money I earned to buy camera and lens which is not the right time to do at this present economic crisis. But still I took a chance all becoz to "Document one's life On a special day". I am new to the country, I am a new photographer, I don't have any friends to refer, I never been much out other than Metro Detroit, Even published Wedding Ad in Craigslist stating "I make Wedding photography for free" Nothing turned out fruitful so far.. Can anyone suggest me how to break the barrier.. I know it's a hard question but all questions has an answer..</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>A few suggestions:</p>

<p>> read and digest all the old threads here about getting started: <a href="../wedding-photography-forum/?category=First+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog%2e">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/?category=First+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog%2e</a></p>

<p>> rephrase your description on your web page to focus more on photography and not on your engineering professional and amateur passion for Photography. Also have someone proof-read it, to correct grammar and nuance, such hat it reads more easily and communicates better as a marketing tool. Also remove all the self images where you are wearing sunglasses.</p>

<p>> assist established professionals - not in your area - if you are going to do anything for nothing - do a few of those gigs and do NOT offer to do free Weddings.</p>

<p>> join a professional association and network within it</p>

<p>> network with other vendors and think along the lines of do quid pro quo advertising and / or referrals with them.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Do you have business cards?<br />Are they blank on the reverse side?<br />Do you carry at least 50 of them at all times?<br />Do you carry a distinctive pen and is you handwriting neat and accurate?</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Do you have a Standard Contract?<br>

Do you have Public Liability and General Business Insurance? </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>This is going to be a hot topic! I'm going to say something you don't want to hear - but I hope you won't hold it against me if I tell you the truth (as I see it).</p>

<p>Look for another career.</p>

<p>It sometimes seems that every third person with a DSLR these days wants to be a wedding photographer. Competition is beyond fierce - it's absurd. It's possible to succeed, but it will be very difficult. And remember, getting one or two free gigs isn't success. If you want to do this seriously as a business, you need to make money. That means you need to be able to charge a fair bit of money for a service that many, many other people are willing to provide for free or nearly for free. I could expand on this theme for a while, but I'll stop there.</p>

<p>But I want to add one or two related points.</p>

<p>I think photography is a bit like playing the guitar. Many people find it very enjoyable - and many people find it easy enough at first that they think they're good at it. Their friends tell them they're good. So before long, they start dreaming of fame and fortune. Amateur photographers start thinking, "I could make money doing this!" But the only market they can think of is weddings. Why is this? Because it doesn't take any credentials to talk a bride into hiring you. But it's rather harder to get National Geographic or the Detroit News or Ford Motors or Vogue magazine to hire you. All these photographers "doing weddings" are like all the guitarists appearing in pizza parlors and bars around the country. They may be good. But turning this hobby - this passion, if you prefer - into a full-time job is very difficult. They're just aren't enough weddings with $2000 budgets to support half of the people who want to do weddings now.</p>

<p>And why would you WANT to do it?</p>

<p>People typically say that they "love doing photography", they "have a passion for photography." That's great. But succeeding as a businessman isn't about passion or love, it's about competence and business ability. A person whose job involves shooting weddings has to be a business person first, and a photographer second, otherwise they'll soon find that they're only a photographer. Now, the business part of wedding photography is, like the business part of nearly everything, a pain to deal with. As they saying goes, money changes everything. I mean, if your passion is business itself, then for pete's sake, get an MBA or do something that might make you rich, instead of just barely making you a living. And if you think you can deal with the business side of wedding photography, understand that shooting weddings is WORK. When people pay you to take photos, they expect you to take photos they like - not photos that YOU like. Shooting weddings involves real risks: People may be mad at you if you screw up (and you WILL screw up now and then). Shooting for money changes your attitude toward working with your camera. Every wedding photographer is, to some extent, just a few steps away from the person who shoots portraits at Wal-Mart.</p>

<p>I think that, for a large majority of people who have discovered that they love taking photographs, the best route is to pursue photography as an avocation, rather than a business. Some of the greatest photographers in the world are not making their livings primarily with their cameras, and many have jobs that aren't related to photography at all. Photography for them is like poetry has almost always been for nearly everybody, something done for love rather than money.</p>

<p>There's a great saying about photographers: "The amateur thinks about his equipment. The pro thinks about the money. The master thinks about the light." Everybody needs to decide which of these things they want to think about. And while you're at it, go through the great histories of photography and count how many wedding photographs you'll see in there. (Hint: If you count on your fingers, you won't have to use both hands.)</p>

<p>If you want to be a business person, and you can see a business model that will work for you involving photography, go for it, and good luck to you. But if you love photography and want to take photographs, then save yourself some grief and take photographs. Enjoy the freedom to pursue your passion on your own terms.</p>

<p>Great answer William.</p>

<p>I do it for the fun/art of it primarily and the fee I charge supports my desire to produce that. I also love being at weddings/gatherings etc. Watching people interact and enjoy catching up. Having the generations gathered, and all the stories that fit within the wedding story. I love the challenge of consistently creating images that will be artistic yet emotionally powerful to the clients. Images that invoke a visible response, one that shows the person looking at them is moved.That is my starting point for weddings. If you do it for the $$$, you will be disappointed I dare say.</p>

<p>If you feel passionate about weddings, love to shoot and have good eye for what makes images sing... then begin with your passion and if you can get paid too, that will be great.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That's succinct, William P. <br>

I read it twice. <br>

It is difficult for me to find arguments to mount against the points you make.<br>

It would be sensible for all those thinking of this particular career path to read your valuable contribution <strong ><em >with an open mind.</em></strong> <br>

<br>

I have flagged this as a “to read” so I can link to it later – I am sure there will be other questions like this in the future<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>I think it's always wise to concentrate on the basics first.</p>

<p>It's not a good idea to become a wedding photographer unless you are already a good photographer. The people who do well establish themselves with some solid work, learn good skills and polish their technique. Then they go looking for weddings, have happy clients and get more work and raise their prices. The people who do it the other way round end up eroding their reputation and getting into complicated disputes with clients, and they never enjoy a business that grows. Usually they fail very quickly, and sometimes very publicly.</p>

<p>I notice from your portfolio that all your flash shots are over-lit, and all your non-flash shots are under-exposed. This would suggest that you've got some work to do in those areas before you are in the position to offer your services for money. Weddings are fast-paced and complicated and offer unpredictable light and no second chances. In my opinion no one should ever look for paid wedding work unless they're skilled and very consistent in all technical areas first. Understanding correct exposure and being able to use light to a high standard is fundamental.</p>

<p>You have to have a product to sell people, and it needs to be a lot more special than 'I own a camera'.</p>

<p>Once you're ready, all the advice in this and previous threads on the topic will be very helpful to you.</p>

<p>If you really want to get in the wedding business I suggest you work as an assistant to an established photographer. <strong>The</strong> <strong>experience will be invaluable.</strong> Then at a certain point decide if you want/can go out on your own. Over the years I've mentored various assistants - some stayed in the business, others didn't. </p>

<p>I appreciate & thank every one of you for your valuable response<br>

Williams Porter:<br>

I specially thank you for taking some time for giving valuable suggestion. My first motive is to see if wedding is an art "I just want to Document that art.." No matter how hard it is.. I understand the level of risk involved.. and could be I am not equipped enough to capture the moments in a right way or would I've to even learn a lot more. At this point I am just exploring where is the gateway to enter and learn. Making money is secondary. The reason I got inspired about doing wedding is not just to think about making instant money and I very well knew it's not going to pay off with in the time frame I anticipate.<br>

Steve crist:<br>

I tried with local photographers to join and assist who are well proficient in wedding photography but my request was turned down by all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My first motive is to see if wedding is an art</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is the line I keep getting stuck on. Unlike testing the waters to see if you have the aptitude and vision to shoot landscapes or architecture or products or..., shooting a wedding involves two other people for whom this is their big day. This is their big moment and it's not fair to them to use them a a litmus test to see if wedding photography is something you want to do or not.</p>

<p>As others have noted, William (Porter) has written a very insightful and helpful post - which I have also bookmarked for future reference.</p>

<p>If the photographers you have contacted turn you down, try this:</p>

<ul>

<li>Find out why you are being turned down</li>

<li>Keep asking them</li>

<li>Find more to ask</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't know how you are approaching them or what you are saying to them, but it's possible that you are being misunderstood. But also be prepared to fill a role that you are not expecting. It is entirely possible that you will be accepted as an assistant but not paid and you won't do any shooting. If that happens, don't turn it down. Under the right mentor, assisting will teach you far more about the business of wedding photography, lighting, timing, ettiquette, etc. than being a second shooter ever will.</p>

<p>I second what Rob said about assisting teaching you more than second shooting. Many a time have I trained someone to shoot weddings where they get too wrapped up in what they are shooting to notice things around them, including what the lead photographer is doing, that would teach them more than shooting. If it were up to me, I'd make trainees assist at least 3 or more times before they ever pick up a camera.</p>

<p>Rob:<br>

To be very precise I did what you said.. In fact I do not know how to spell DSLR a year ago I was making fancy photographs with point-n-shoot just for passion.. From ppa.com I found bunches of photographers in the locality doing weddings. I tried calling them everyday which went for months finally decided to buy a camera learn on my own after heart full of frustration. You can visit my website www.sreegraphy.com I do not know how good or bad you feel looking over my pics but that's what I managed to do in 1 year right from knowing nothing about photograph. There could be wedding couples who cannot afford to pay but would be wishing if someone photograph and make their wedding a future memory I am concentrating crowd of that kind which would be of 2-in-1 deal (I'll get a chance to learn and they'll be happy that some one captured their wedding) If anyone say I'll be equipped to do wedding photography once I cross the ocean then I'll put my efforts for it. If my efforts pay it'll be gain else it'd be loss</p>

<p>I am not going to look at your website (yet) because I don't want to run the risk of turning this thread into a critique of anyone's work.</p>

<p>If you've been unable to find anyone willing to take you on as an assistant after a month of calling, then I really want to think that there's a communication problem. What you are saying may not necessarily be what they are hearing. I don't mean that in a nasty way at all, but rather that, from your posts here, I assume English is not your first language and that could be the root of your difficulty.</p>

<p>If you want to get into wedding photography or just test whether or not you want to:</p>

<ul>

<li>Join a photography group (maybe through Meetup.com) and shoot, shoot and shoot some more to hone your craft. Remember, I've not looked at your work yet, so I offer this as a "we all can continually improve" statement.</li>

<li>Create an inexpensive portfolio of your best work. Preferably of people and portraits but, since you are starting out, a portfolio of fairly strong work will suffice.</li>

<li>Attend a bridal expo or two and, with your portfolio in hand, introduce yourself to one or two of the wedding photographers there. HOWEVER, if they are busy or with a potential client, go back later!!! Introduce yourself, tell them you are looking to assist (for free) a wedding photographer so that you can learn the business. Offer to buy them a cup of coffee and dessert if they're willing to look at your portfolio. It's much harder to say no to a person face-to-face than it is over the phone or, worse, over email.</li>

</ul>

<p>Be willing to take critique and advice as offered since you are there to learn. If/when you find a mentor, know that you'll be tasked with the non-sexy grunt work. I will send an assistant to my car to get extra light stands, to the bar to get a glass of water, send them ahead to ensure rooms are open, etc. in addition to working with them on the schedule and the more "photography-related" tasks.</p>

<p>But, to get back to what I think is at the heart of the rejections you keep receiving, have a friend who has stronger English language skills read over and edit any written communication that you send out.</p>

<p>Once again a post about doing one of the hardest jobs in photography from a beginner's background. You have to work as an assistant and then second shooter in order to learn what you need to know. Maybe you have a talent for it but you still need to get all of the basics down first. A doctor does not start as a surgeon. Intern - resident - then maybe if the talent is there. Weddings are only done once. Can you be 100 percent certain you can get it all right the first time? You are dealing with a sacred event in people's lives. If you <strong>know</strong> you can deliver, fine. If you <strong>think</strong> you can deliver, you're not ready.</p>

<p>I wasn't going to respond to this one, but I guess I will anyway...<br /> It is NOT hard to get into wedding photography. All you need is a camera, and someone willing to give you a chance to document their most special day... BUT, it is hard to do it <em>well</em>!!! I can't stress this enough! If it were EASY, EVERYONE would be churning out amazing photographs. But, they're not! It is never <em>easy</em> to be great.<br /> Based on your website, your post, and your photography portfolio, I would guess that you are just beginning to really delve into the world of photography. You also seem to be VERY new to this country. <br /> I see two obstacles for you as a budding photographer: You are not fluent in English, and you have not had enough practice/classes/etc in basic photography skills. If I were you, I would endeavor to work on both at the same time.<br /> Most community colleges offer basic and advanced Photography classes, which will help develop the skills necessary to use your equipment to it's full potential, as well as more exposure to the English language. This goes a long way in breaking into the industry, if that is indeed what you want to do.<br /> You could view your lack of English as a downfall, but perhaps look at it as a strength. There are a lot of other Indian families in this country, and I've found (as a non-Indian descended American) that most Indian families would prefer to work with an Indian Photographer. Try getting involved with other Indian people locally and offer to take photographs, probably portraits to start with. Practice, practice, practice. Then maybe when someone you have taken portraits for is looking for a wedding photographer, they will ask you. Take your time. Practice takes time, and you can't expect it to happen over night. If you are patient, and always continue to improve, you just might make it. Good luck!</p>

<p>Sree -</p>

<p>I agree with a lot of what's been posted here already - about it being easy to get into Weddings and difficult to stay in them. I also agree that way too many people think that having a DSLR automatically qualifies them to shoot weddings...or seniors....or sports...or anything beyond good family snapshots.</p>

<p>Communication is critical in wedding photography - I know it is common in some areas of India to say - "I have doubts" - Meaning in American - "I have questions" not doubts as we Americans tend to view them. If I were to go to a bride / groom and say "I have doubts" - boom - conversation over they've moved to the next photographer. If a potential assistant / 2nd comes up to me and says "I have doubts" - I'm looking for my next assistant. I wholeheartedly agree with William W's suggestion that you have someone proofread and edit your text on your website. My spouse is from China - she has been in America for 20 years... She still has me proofread and correct her e-mails / memos for work. Why? Because she is worried that she will use a word or words incorrectly - plus English / American is not her first language.</p>

<p>You have a few good referals / comments on your site already - keep working with those folks and build your client base from them. That's the start. As for your portfolio photos - I saw some I really liked.</p>

<p>Assisting a pro photographer would be a huge plus for you. Put an ad on CL for it and see what happens. Detroit is going to be a tough market to crack and make any kind of a living in right now. The last I heard the un-employment rate there is well above the national average.</p>

<p>Having a passion for something is not a bad thing - looking at your photos and reading your site - I believe you do have a passion for photography. You just need to channel it properly and crawl before you walk, walk before you run. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Umm? I asked six questions.</p>

<p>I do not expect a reply, so this is not a personal whinge in any way whatsoever.</p>

<p>So don’t think that I am upset – I am not.</p>

<p>I am confused.</p>

<p>You asked a business related question.</p>

<p>You are willing to engage in two-way conversations and have done so and your responses have been slightly off topic (i.e. not specifically a core business theme which your original question exhibited),</p>

<p>So why would you not answer six business related questions which could advance your cause and might expand the business information you might receive?</p>

<p>I understand that you have changed the parameters of the tpoic and you might now think this is no longer about business at all . . . but this is why I am still confused that you have not answered me . . . even if you do not see this as a business matter any more . . .</p>

<p>Just ponder these points:</p>

<p>> even if you are looking only for Brides who cannot afford to pay anything for their Photos<br>

> even if you are looking to work for no pay with an existing Professional<br>

> even if you just want to record a Wedding for the Documentary Beauty of it and to sell nothing</p>

<p>You are still “In Business”. Because you still have to:</p>

<p>> Market and Sell your wears that Bride – you might find it even <strong><em>more difficult</em></strong> to market and sell product if you charge zero.</p>

<p>> Convince that Professional (another business person) that your business (i.e. you) will be an asset and NOT a liability to his or her business.</p>

<p>> Have enough business acumen and marketing skills to get a front row seat at a Wedding (be there a Pro covering it or not) to make that “Beautiful Documentary”<br>

<br />WW</p>

<p>Let me submit (with kindness) that I think you underestimate wedding photographers and the considerable skill set they possess. You are a computer engineer. No doubt you combined years of education and experience to develop your expertise in your field. Yet is seems you believe that you can buy a camera, perhaps ( I hope) read a few books, place an add in craigslist, and risk screwing up the very important pictures taken on a what is, arguably, a person's most important day. Really not cool. Not cool at all.<br>

It is true that there are tons of GWC's (guys with cameras) out there proclaiming themselves wedding photographers. And there are an almost equal number of screwed up weddings. Some would say that it serves a couple right when they go for the freebie and expect professional results. I am one of them. But I am going to call shame on you too Sree for insulting the many accomplished and professional wedding photographers out there by thinking that seconding someone a couple of times is going to give you the lifetime of hard earned experience and education that they have. It won't.</p>

<p>I looked at your portfolio. Where are the adults? Where are the formal portraits? Where is your demonstrated ability to shoot a diversity of people in varied situations? Or on a more basic level. What kind of back-up camera do you have? As William said in his excellent post, where are the business skills you need. I suspect the local photogs are not hiring you because they know you are unprepared to enter into the apprentice phase of your training yet.</p>

<p>Good wedding photography is far more than you appear to think it is. It requires a very substantial skill set, split second timing, nerves of steel, and the work ethic of an artist driven by his/her passion for excellence in expressing that art. If I had to guess I would say you are about three to four years away from being a wedding photographer worth his/her salt. Remember how you became an engineer? Work that hard in preparation to be a wedding photographer and you will be ready to go shoot a wedding. </p>

<p>Your site includes some nice shots. You appear to be an accomplished amateur. I hope you do achieve your dream of being a wedding photographer. Now go do the hard work it takes to do that. And get that add out of craigslist. Don't risk someone's important day on your desire to practice. </p>

<p>There is an old saying. Some people have one year of experience, some people have 20 years of experience, but most people have one year of experience 20 times. Learn to honor the art in wedding photography. Learn to honor the skills great wedding photographers have. Find the people who have 20 years of experience and study, study, study their work. You have tons of work to do. </p>

<p>"<em>When people pay you to </em><a href="../wedding-photography-forum/00V3h0" target="_blank"><em>take photos</em></a><em>, they expect you to take photos they like - not photos that YOU like</em>."<br>

This is a recipe for unhappiness and disaster. If people aren't hiring you because of the unique photographs that you want to make, then what separates you from anyone else? Why should any one hire you over another person? Because you have a business plan? It begs the question- why did you chose photography as a career?</p>

<p>"<em>Every wedding photographer is, to some extent, just a few steps away from the person who shoots portraits at Wal-Mart</em>"<br>

<strong>WHAT???</strong> Do you really value wedding photography so little as to say something like that?</p>

<p><em>Do you have business cards?<br />Are they blank on the reverse side?<br />Do you carry at least 50 of them at all times?<br />Do you carry a distinctive pen and is you handwriting neat and accurate?</em><br>

The key to networking isn't having a lot of business cards, is it? I'd say you'd do better with a good personality and a professional attitude. People will do business with those they like and trust and really, who cares about the fancy pen?</p>

<p>Neil addresses a good point- if you are a good photographer already, photographing a wedding should be an easy transition. You shouldn't need to assist any one as there are plenty of cheap clients out there looking for something for nothing that would allow you to learn on the job. But it sounds like assisting might help you. Just make sure you're doing enough learning to compensate for the damage to your back by carrying someone else' s bag. I don't think you need to attend a wedding expo- just find photographs that you wished you had taken, find out who took them, and contact them. Tell them you like their work and see where it goes. When I was an assistant, that's how I went about finding work. I want to stress the fact that you don't want to work for any one other than those whose work you admire. Otherwise it's a waste of time. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>This thread reminds me of something a friend of mine said recently. She is a fan/connoisseur of photography, cognizant of its history, and past member of the young collector's group of a prominent photo museum. But she doesn't take photos, pretty much at all. She has a Canon G9 and has maybe shot it a hundred times in a few years. Yet she "thinks" she would be a good photographer and thinks highly of her own eye. She has dealt with photographers in her occupation for years, and has translated the idea that the equipment/technical understanding is not of primary importance into, "well if I have a good eye then the rest is easy." I wanted to tell her that's like saying if I could transmit directly from my brain onto the written page, I'd be an absolutely brilliant novelist.</p>

<p>My point is that I suspect amateurs tend to underrate the sheer technical challenges of photography, which is also part and parcel of the artistic element (you can't achieve one without the other) which in my opinion are only more difficult in something like wedding photography. As I've worked on my own photography more and more, as well as been reading the wedding threads here and browsing wedding photographer blogs, I have more and more respect for them, as they not only have one chance and pretty much one chance only to get the shot, they have to do it in way that satisfies brides demanding beauty, despite unpredictable, changing, and often adverse conditions. Perhaps that's why I find their blogs the most helpful when it comes to handling lighting, which is a subject I think is only better appreciated as you delve into photography more.</p>

<p>Sreehari - I guess what I'm trying to say is that wedding photography is not exactly the easiest of photographic disciplines. If you're truly interested in it, my suggestion is that you must not only learn about the areas where you are weak, but also actively search out areas of knowledge that you've never even heard of. That is, tackle both the known unknowns, and the unknown unknowns. I could never imagine going in to shoot a wedding and looking at it as practice for myself - its far too important a day for the participants for me to treat it so cavalierly.</p>