How Good Are Hoya HMC Multi-Coated Filters

Hoya may not be the "best of all" filters absolutely, and certainly are not the most expensive; but I have had excellent results from them (especially their higher 'grades').

I don't know who makes the Nikon ones, but the Nikon filters I have are no better than the Hoyas.

I also like B+W, but practical results are not obviously better than Hoya.

Lensrentals did some testing and a more impressive fun shooting so the open question is: Didn't Leica announce yellow filters recently and aren't they available yet in your size so you can part with even more money on peak of quality obsessed paranoia?

Sorry I can't include any meaningful filter quality testing of my own; - I tend to buy B+W if I have to and fishy ones when I can.

Bob Atkins, a long-time member of photo.net, examined UV and other "protective" filters from multiple brands (link) and found that Hoyas had the best anti-reflective characteristics among those filters. I don't know whether this applies to filters that are currently available, or to yellow filters, but you might look at his results, and into similar tests.

I've always found the Hoya filters excellent, but the coatings can be difficult to clean. I never got them perfect and without damage until using a microfiber lens cloth.

Yes, I've also found this for their Pro1 filters - great coating when new, but a bit of a pain to clean without smearing, though microfibre and breath work pretty well. Hoya make some premium filters that include an easy-clean layer on top of the optical multicoating (e.g. HD, Fusion/Evo Antistatic), but I don't think coloured filters are available in these ranges. You might want to look at the B+W MRC range, which combines excellent multicoating with an easy-clean top layer and includes coloured filters.

Hoya filters are excellent. They've been in business for decades and manufacture their own glass. Probably the biggest maker and supplier of glass filters on the planet! Now part of the Tokina group.

Cleaning filters spotless is easy. Use the same method as for contact lenses. Blow off any dust with a rocket blower; apply a small quantity of washing up liquid to both surfaces; rub it all over the filter with thumb and finger; wash off under the cold tap. Shake off excess water and blow remaining droplets away with the rocket blower - do not let any streaks dry naturally. Finally, polish with a fresh lens tissue. Not a microfibre cloth, which may well harbour grit.

I've used the above method dozens of times. Even silvery spots that seemed permanent have disappeared completely after that washing process. Yes, it's a bit tedious and takes a few minutes, but your filters will be like new again afterwards.

Just to reiterate:

filters, like memory cards and batteries are often counterfeited.

I've generally bought new from the big dealers, hoping that they monitor who's who, etc.

On the other hand, I've got bunches of filters in buying used cameras and gear, and most of them seem authentic.

On the Jackdaw front ("awk, shiny object"), I have been unable to resist highly colored no-name filters for incredibly cheap prices, just for fun.

Red-filter.jpg.6fdc82c68e7ec624b61a2ef482d48a5a.jpg

• Like 1

Cleaning filters spotless is easy. Use the same method as for contact lenses. Blow off any dust with a rocket blower; apply a small quantity of washing up liquid to both surfaces; rub it all over the filter with thumb and finger; .

Joe, are you using dish detergent to clean your filters? If so, are you sure it's chemically ok with the multi coating of the filter?

Joe, are you using dish detergent to clean your filters? If so, are you sure it's chemically ok with the multi coating of the filter?

Dish detergent is what I am told to use for my anti-reflection coated glasses, and for that matter ones that weren't coated before them.

You do want one that doesn't have oils and such in it, though.

-- glen

- I think so. We don't call it dish detergent in the UK. Washing up liquid is what we call it. I buy about the cheapest brand I can find, so it's basically just surficants and water, with a touch of some thickening agent (glycerol?) and colouring. Whatever it is, it gets the job done with no hint of harm to the filter coatings.

I only do the 'wet clean' when a huff of breath and a lens tissue won't shift the marks or smudges. As I said though, the washing up liquid process removes even really stubborn grease spots, and leaves the filters looking like new. Any damage to the MC would quickly show up as bright or silvery patches, which it doesn't.

- I think so. We don't call it dish detergent in the UK. Washing up liquid is what we call it. I buy about the cheapest brand I can find, so it's basically just surficants and water, with a touch of some thickening agent (glycerol?) and colouring. Whatever it is, it gets the job done with no hint of harm to the filter coatings.

I only do the 'wet clean' when a huff of breath and a lens tissue won't shift the marks or smudges. As I said though, the washing up liquid process removes even really stubborn grease spots, and leaves the filters looking like new. Any damage to the MC would quickly show up as bright or silvery patches, which it doesn't.

Thanks, I was curious. Whatever works!

The usual filters are, as I understand it, two pieces of glass with a gelatin filter in between, all put together with optical quality cement.

As I understand it, some solvents, like alcohols or ketones, could dissolve the cement.

Some years ago, I thought about taking one apart, and replacing the gelatin filter.

(I had a Wratten 87 gelatin filter and some IR film. I never did, though.)

Water and detergent should be good for getting abrasive dust off without scratching,

even if held on with a grease or oil.

-- glen