How Far is Infinity?

travismcgee

<p>As you know, if the subject is a flat plane or so far away that the lens will focus at infinity, you should use your sharpest aperture. So how far away is infinity? A hundred yards? A half mile? Do you look at the barrel of your lens to see where it focused or do you have a rule of thumb? Thanks!</p>

<p>The more meaningful question in relation to lenses is not how "far" infinity is (that, not surprisingly, is infinity), but how "close" infinity on the lens is so that the image on the film/sensor plane is close enough to focus to fool the human eye.</p>

<p>The answer depends on the lens and on the f/stop the lens is set to. What I am talking about is "hyperfocal distance" (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance">link</a>).</p>

<p>On my Zeiss Tessar 50mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 everything from roughly 10 meters to infinity will be in focus (more or less). At f/16, the Tessar is in focus from less than 2 meters to infinity. Or to put it as you did, if the lens is set to infinity mark, then at f/2.8 depth of field will cover to 20 m or so, at f/16 to 3.5 m.</p>

<p>Older, prime lenses used to have markings showing all this, but these became difficult with zoom lens (hence all the curving lines on the barrel), and seem to have mostly and literally dropped off the scale with AF lenses.</p>

<p>It really depends on the focal length and aperture you're wanting to work with. For an extreme example, with the 1200mm f/5.6 on full frame, the hyperfocal distance (which seems to be more or less what you mean by "infinity") is over 5 miles away. I've shot with the 200mm f/2, and it has no difficulty blurring a background with subjects 40 feet away. On the other hand, with a 24mm at f/8, the hyperfocal distance is a mere 8 feet.</p>

<p>That answer right there- what Bob said. It is not correct that infinity is something like 100 ft from the camera, and if you look through my 500 or 1000mm lens on one of my 35mm cameras you'd know that's false. It depends, as has already been explained.<br /> BTW, a lot of long lenses focus beyond infinity. Though they usually don't actually <em><strong>focus</strong></em> beyond infinity, under some conditions they do. Though it's infinity, not beyond infinity when they do. Got that?</p>

<p><em>I'm not sure why you think that you need to use the "sharpest aperture" when your subject is a long way away. Could you say?</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Not to be flippant<em>, </em>but why wouldn't you? I don't shoot portraits, so it would never occur to me not to use the sharpest aperture possible.</p>

<p>FWIW, I downloaded an app for my iPhone that is a DOF calculator. It adjust for various makes and models. It allows you to set lens, aperture, and distance and shows you the DOF. IT identifies hyper focal distance. Very easy to use. There are a number of such apps available.</p>