How does this happen.....?

lintrathen

<p>Over the weekend, I grabbed my A100 (backup unit) to shoot some images. About 50 shots later I suddenly started to receive these..........!<br>

So, before I start all the testing of the camera/actual CF card/ replacement card et al........... have you guys ever experienced this?<br>

I was using a SanDisk Extreme 111... 4gb 30MB/s............... I need to blame the card cos it's the cheapest way to go. (smiles).<br>

Can CF cards "breakdown"?<br>

Oh, I'm not being lazy, I've ricked my back and am not too mobile to get outside to test.<br>

Your help is always appreciated<br>

Regards</p>

<div>00apJL-496755584.jpg.6c14a3533d09e29da761ce5074520bcf.jpg</div>

<p>Is this from a jpeg or raw file? Ive had issues once with a batch of shots from my a100 where only the magenta channel processed through raw to jpeg conversion in sony IDC, even though the raws looked fine in camera and on pc screen. No idea what happened at the time, it did not recur afterwards.</p>

<p>Hy Guys........... with my bad back, it took me a little longer to test.<br>

Yup..... conclusively the camera. The more I shot, the worse the colours became.<br>

This is my second camera to go "belly up" on me in the past 6 months.... my A350 and now the 100. Expensively annoying<br>

Yes, I'll take it to the repair shop..... but Sony's are expensive to fix over here.<br>

Thanks to all for the input.<br>

Regards</p>

Sorry Grayham about your camera troubles. Got any other cameras to tide you over until your Sony A100 is fixed?

"... I'll take it to the repair shop..... but Sony's are expensive to fix over here." -- Grayham A.

Out of curiosity, which are other (digital) SLR camera systems, if any, that are relatively inexpensive to repair near you?

<p>From experience if you are a Canon or Nikon user, not just in Australia but anywhere, you are well catered for and things are pretty cheap. Everything else costs more, due to not being the mass standard.<br>

I noticed that one of our major camera stores is already listing the Sony A99 for $3200, and another for $2998. Never mind the fact that in the U.S (which our dollar is currently worth more recently), is selling it for about $2700.<br>

Our retailers just like ripping us off.</p>

<p>Don't forget the carbon tax, which is a good excuse for everyone to raise prices, as it affects everyone. My camera purchases just got set back even more today. Got the power bill. Usual cost about $280, this bill $746. That put a kiss of death on any purchase of the A99 I might have been considering. If this keeps up, I might have to pawn my gear......</p>

• 1 month later...
Grayham A had asked me about my reply above privately. I had replied with Paul D L's reply in context. Meaning was that image preview reflects, more or less, the raw data; so if raw data is only from green pixels, so will be the preview. Raw file itself might be missing data for non-green color channels.

(Time passes in excess of 10 minutes.)

Grayham if you would humor me, have you checked the raw file to see if it is also missing data from non-green colors (are colors restored as expected if you select "day light" white balance in your raw converter)? (And a long shot) By chance you did not happen to set the white balance by shooting a magenta color block, right?

<p>Hi Parv......... apologies for the delay. I originally went Pmail to prevent my obvious lack of processing skills becoming too apparant (smiles)........... I shot the series of images as straight Jpeg, with no Raw atttachment whatsoever. I have gone (as best I can) into these images looking for anything "different", to no avail.<br>

I just thought I'd have one last-ditch attempt to resurrect this camera before taking it in for a repair quote.... that I know is going to be horrendous.... notwithstanding that, I still need to give the repairer instructions............<br>

Sometime back, I reset all the camera setting to "factory" so I have no idea what I may or maynot have done (in error).<br>

I will take off the notification tab.<br>

Regards</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Now here's a thing.................... fired this one up yesterday with a fresh battery and re-formatted card. I shot off about 25 good images before the sensor started recording colour streaks through the images. The symptoms remind me of the old electrical fault that only manifests itseslf after it has warmed up........... hopefully the repairman will have a simple solution.<br>

Tks........</p>