How does one shoot 5x7 when NO film is available?

mike_walker11

1. You don't need an adapter to shoot 4x5 film in a 5x7 filmholder. Just put the film in in the other direction. I've tried just placing the film in the center and haven't had a problem with it sliding, although in principle it could if you handle your filmholders roughly.

2. The lack of 5x7 films has been about the only thing being discussed by 5x7 users for the last several years. (We certainly haven't been discussing all the new films in our format). Where have you been? Have you been paying attention?

You can always cut 10x8 film down to 7x5 using a rototrim or similar cutter. Not as nice as buying a box of 7x5 at your local photo shop, but it's one way to get the size you need.

Also, keep yourself plugged into the LF groups and forums. Every once in a while someone will pull a group together to make a bulk buy. There's rumors of another 400Tmax buy which will undoubtedly include some 7x5. When these opportunities arise, buy a couple of years worth of film.

Sadly, that's about the best you can do other than switch to either 5x4 (a reducing back for your existing camera maybe) or 10x8 or other supported format size.

OK Ellis, I just went to Calumet's site. Since it offers no convenient sorting by size, I reviewed every one of the 188 color film products offered. No 5x7, reversal or negative.

I suggest trying Badger Graphic Sales instead:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=202

Jeff is currently out of stock on Provia, but can offer Velvia 100F for immediate delivery.

The primary appeal of upgrading from 4x5 to 5x7 is to get B&W contact prints in sizes that are "large enough". (4x5 prints are viewed as "too small".) So there's not a lot of market pull for 5x7 color film. There is a somewhat larger market for 8x10 color film, used where folks want the largest image they can get, so that's still on the market. (Museums still use a lot of 8x10 color film.)

Since most transparency images in large format are used for publication, either by making direct CMYK halftone separations, or more likely today by scanning, 4x5 meets most folks needs, since the image can be reduced or enlarged. There are few applications where the large format transparency itself is the "deliverable", what is viewed by the public.

Cutting down 8x10 with a rotary trimmer isn't all that hard, but it's almost inevitable that you will wind up with some dust on the film. I cut down 8x10 to 9x12cm and 3A size.

At least in the actual product catalogue (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/productlist.asp?n=7&t=Consumer+%26+Professional+Films) Ilford still lists 5x7 inch sheet film.

I hope that they don't abandon it so soon. Due to the lack of a functional darkroom for LF printing I'm stuck to 6x9 cm, but I long for the moment I can install my enlargers and be able to print 5x7 and 8x10 bw-negatives...

• 6 years later...