How does one rate

I am confused

How does the current rating system work?

I want people to know who i am when I rate. I personaaly could care

less about the trp crap but like the feed back of qualified judges

in the effort to become better. I will note that if you look at what

i have posted that my skills seem to have dimenished if the ratings

are the meter. How do you continue to be a voice here instead of a

robot that seems to get others upset.

I agree with Nick. But do not expect everyone to behave like that. So, try to use a UV (Ultra Vain) filter made out of a bit of common sense, tolerance and understanding for anyone who feels has been insulted, neglected, ignored.....

Most importantly, as Nick said, DO NOT retaliate.

I will tell you how I rate.

I start with the assumption that 4/4 is average all the way around, and look for something that attracts me or repells me to move from 4/4 - then I take into account just how much it appeals to me.

If the thing I find attractive is in the appearance of the image, I increase the rating for aesthetics. If it relates to the method of presentation, such as an original composition, a unique angle, or a particularly odd juxtaposition, I increase originality. I tend to find more things that attract me than repell me on photos on photo.net, so my ratings tend to be in the mid-4s on average when rating randomly. I try to reserve 7s for something that really grabs me, that makes me stop and focus for a protracted period and keep coming back. 7 means its a true masterwork. I tend to think of 6s as photographs I'd like to collect and keep available in my favorites - to get to a 6, it has to be one of the best shots of the week, something I am learning from.

George, perhaps this is the answer to your question.<p>

If Top Rated Photo rankings are not important to you and you want your name associated with your critiques, comments and ratings then you will probably want to go directly to a photographers portfolio to rate and comment. Your other alternative is to go thru the Critique Forum. <p>

For those who find ratings important and want to participate in the TRP ranking then they will need to rate in the Rate Recent que.<p>

For more detailed comments on the way the new system works you may want to visit this forum...<p>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CDGd

<p>

Regards, Guy

Actually George, ratings that do not contribute to the TRP can be very useful. Vincent Tylor has stated it very well in a previous forum. I hope he dooesn't mind if I copy and paste. <p>

(quote)<p>

Vincent K. Tylor , may 17, 2005; 03:49 a.m.<p>

Generally speaking comments are usually more helpful. But not always. Many of the mate-raters comments are more shallow than their worthless rates. "Great image", "Good colors", "7/7", "Good lighting", "Excellent" "Great" "Wow" "Good sharpnes" "very good" "Good", "nice subject" "nice" .... <p>

On the other hand, IF you choose to follow a particular photographer throughout the months and years you've been around, a rating can actually say quite a bit in my opinion. I do like to follow certain people, and will offer an honest critique somewhat regularly with a rating. However, life is short, can be very busy and we do not always have the time to sit down and write out the comments we wish we could. In that case offering a just rating here and there can be very helpful. Especially since it can be compared to other ratings from these same people. If I give Guy a 7/6 on an image with a comment, but then only give him a 6/6, 6/5 or 5/5 or whatever on another image, that should give him somewhat of an accurate idea what I though of the image compared to his others.<p>

Brian may have said that ratings are for the site, but in reality they are also for the photographer. That's just the simple truth.<p>

(end quote)

George, If you believe the only reason to post on this site is to participate in the TRP, you are absoluetely correct, "why bother". However, if you believe that most photographers post here for feedback on their images than who cares if the rate counts for the TRP. The rate is still posted to the photo for the photographer's benefit.

the reason to post to the site is education just as being a member of a club. without any idea of who is rating whom then we are becoming only extensions of a number crunchers game. in regards to the trp i frankly do not care where any photo rates. but if you want to spend the time to comment on each photo posted then go for it. I thought of ratings as a kind of applause or show of appreciation. if you comment as suggested than rating is not required. we are here to make friends and grow in the art.