How do you transfer your images from your DSLR to computer?

<p>I have been using a Fujifinepix S3 Pro. In order to minimize handling of the CF or SD card, I have been using the USB cable to upload images to my computer. But today, the connection port at the camera end (behind the rubber cover) failed. I am a very careful user, and was very surprised at how flimsy the connector was. In fact the part actually pushed through and "fell" inside the body and is now rattling inside the camera (I hope it doesnt short circuit something other components). Otherwise the camera is in full working order. I am now limited to transferring images by using a card reader or a using the fire wire cable.<br>

Does anyone have any thought on how best to transferring/uploading images while minimizing risk to camera/memory card or digital files?</p>

<p>+1 on card reader. I have the Sandisk USB but if you have a Firewire port, consider that for more speed.</p>

<p>and be careful re-inserting the card back into the camera. if you're careless, you can bend the internal pin and then you're in for a repair job.</p>

<p>Components fail and repairs are part of the cost of business (or hobbies). The only irreplaceable element is time.</p>

<p>A fast card reader is the best (and IMO, the only) way to download images to your computer. It is not only faster (much faster) than a camera connection, a card reader leaves you free to use your camera and download images at your convenience. A USB2 reader runs at about 10 MB/s, whereas a Firewire 400 reader is typically 30-40 MB/s (twice that for FW800). The time saved really adds up if you have a lot of images to download from a wedding or event.</p>

<p>I generally use a card reader, internal or external to the computer. My wife and daughter like using the usb cable on their camera. When I got started with digicams, there was a concern about slow transfer speeds and the possibility that the camera batteries might "fail" while a transfer was in progress and this apparently could corrupt the files, so i got use to using the readers. I think battery life and transfer speeds are either enough better or people more adept that this is less an issue these days.</p>

<p>I recently bought one of those multi-card readers that take the place of a 3.5" bay on a computer. It accepts every card known to man, plus has a regular USB 2.0 port. Cost me about $15 at a chain computer store. Before I used a card reader hooked up to a 4-port hub. Both work about the same, performance-wise. I still have to drag out the card reader if I'm using my laptop.</p>

<p>The camera-computer connection via cable is a hassle and is totally unnecessary. Plus, it's wasting battery juice needlessly while I'm doing pre-processing to raw images and then d/ling the images. My two digital cameras use SD and XD cards. There's nothing to wear out on those things. There's a lot more to wear out with cables and their connections, especially when being plugged and unplugged frequently. So it's a no-brainer here.</p>