How do you pronounce NIKON

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by dynamisoz, Dec 30, 2008.

1. I know this may be a silly question, but how do you pronounce NIKON...
    I pronounce it "Nai-kon" but also notice some others pronouncing it
    "Nee-Kon"
    Is there a correct way to pronounce it.
    I quess if your japanese, you would know the correct way to pronounce it....

2. Well, I just saw a Nikon television ad the other day. THEY were saying "Nai-kon", but were pronouncing Nikkor (as in the lenses) "Nih-kore". Of course, that was television. Nothing makes it through that thing intact.

3. Nai-kon...thats how it's pronounced on their TV ads and if you call live support.

4. In Japanese (and I think in every other language but English) it's Ne-kon (don't know how to do phonetics in English but ..)

5. On the west side of the Big Pond, most say Nai-kon. However, I met a UK chap who said it was Nee-kon. I dunno, maybe it's a to-may-toes/to-ma-toes kind of thing........

6. Scratching head... how do you pronounce Nai-kon and Nih-kore?
    Where I live, we say nigh-con and nick-or

7. Have a look at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon
    Nikon was an acronym of Nippon Kogaku and in Japanese is certainly pronounced Nih-kon, as it is in almost any language I can think of. But in the US most people say Nai-kon; but, then, many people in the States also say "Ai-raq" and "Ai-ran" for Iraq and Iran, not to speak of people who say "Ai-talian" -- all of which sound equally absurd to me.
    --Mitch/Paris

8. I say it the same as Paul Simon sings in the song "Kodachrome". Soon people will be asking what Kodachrome is?

9. I've watched the Nikon Digitutors, and they say Knee-Con(silent K like body part)
    But here in southern New England, It's NI(Long I sound) Con...lol

10. I say Nee-kon and Nee-kor, because I live in Taiwan.
    In my experience, i've only heard North Americans say Nai-kon and Nick-or.

11. [ni:kon=]. The "i" vowel like "beet". The "o" vowel not so closed nor posterior at all. Spain`s spanish.

12. In Japan, I think it is Neekon. In the US the first vowel is a long 'i' as in tie, lie, bye. In the UK, the first vowel is a short 'i' as in pit and tip.

13. It's like Hyundai, which should be pronounced HY-YUN-DI, but in the US is pronounced, even in the ads, as HUNDAY...

14. When I attended the Nikon School of Photography many years ago, that was one of the pressing questions that I wanted the answer to. The instructors, like Paul Simon, pronounced Nikon so that the first syllable has the same vowel as "night", while Nikkor and Nikkormat (shows you how long ago I attended) were pronounced with the first syllable of "Nick", as nickname. This was in St. Louis, MO, USA. I believe other pronunciations are acceptable, especially in non-US countries, but after that school, I used the instructors' pronunciations with confidence.
    You say Knee-con, I say Nigh-con, let's call the whole thing off.

15. Everywhere except Anglophone countries, it's usually Nee-kon, as people say.
    However,
    I met a UK chap who said it was Nee-kon​
    is astonishing given that BBC and all pronounce everything in English style : Nazi as Naa-zie, Nicaragua as Nih-kar-aag-you-ah. ;)

16. Ah, people driving their Jag-u-ars on the wrong side of the road on their way to the camera shop to pick up a Neekon!

One has to have a sense of humor about such things when one has a last name that is never pronounced correctly (curse that Matt Lauer on television - he's the bane of my existence!). All I ask is that it's spelled correctly when made out on a check. I suspect that the good people at Nikon feel much the same way - pronounce it however you like, as long as you don't pronounce it "Canon."

17. Well, being the Swede I am.... And since I have yet to meet an American who can even pronounce my name.... I pronounce Nikon with a Swedish i - just like I do my name.
    I bet Jose & I pronounce Nikon the same way. I always had an easy time with Spanish Catalan which is what we're taught in Sweden. Cause it's so straight forward for me to pronounce. So that's what I do.
    Phonetics - - I'm dyslectic - don't expect me to learn phonetics as well. That's what really messed me up in Grammar school...
    Lil :)

18. I used to know this pretentious putz that always pronounced it NEE-CONE but he was the only one. If the demo guys that used to come around to the camera stores (whatever happened to them!) said it as Nai-con thats good enough for me.

19. I drive my Porsch from Ai-rag to Ai-ran with my Naikon on my side.

20. Nai-kon sounds about as h-ai-larious as Sw-ai-ss watch would - even in Amer-ai-ca.
    I use the same -i- sound as in the words I butchered above - so it sounds like Nee-kon and Nee-kkor.
    D-ai-eter

21. I use the Nik sound with my Nik-ormat and my Nik-kors as well as my Nik-on D3. I also have been told by a Persian that the country Iran is pronounced Ear-on.

22. With a sharp "i" sound.

23. I used to work for Hyundai and the Koreans tought me to say it correctly...hee - oon - day.
    Nikon is pronounced nee - kon. The North Americans say it wrong.

24. Earlier this year at my local camera club the local Nikon rep said "nigh-kon", but the official company product video clips he played said "nee-kon", so I assume it's officially the latter.
    "Pentax" is just so much easier :p

25. Here in OZ, we pronounce it with a sharp i, Nickon, Nikkor and Nikkormat, all the same. I't all very confusing, probably easier to get a Canon!
    Tony

26. In Japan, the home of so much good glass, it is (K)nee-cone (as in ice cream cone). American reps don't know any better than any other Americans. I worked with a Japanese camera store, for a while, and gave demos to my fellow gaijin, so can switch seamlessly from neecon to nighcon.

27. The other day, a Nikon rep, I met, used the French pronunciation because he was speaking in french.
    Some commercials:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r6VctyhWAg&NR=1 (knee-con) from a guy in germany
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUHL1dKlcao&feature=related from US/Canada they say Nigh-con
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPB2P51DApA&feature=related from US/Canada They say Nigh-con but knee-cor
    Please note I filtered out commercials I did not personnally know are from Nikon. There are people out there who are making fake commercials (but that's another subject).
    So Basically when talking in English, i say it English style. When speaking french, french style. When speaking Japanese say it Japanese style. etc. The people at Nikon advertise it that way.
    Edmond

28. The correct pronunciation is "Nuculer" or "toMAto". :)

29. it is how a word or an acronym is pronounced in the country of origin.
    in japan it's "nee-kon". but there is no rule in spoken foreign languages that a native speaker of one country should follow the pronunciation of the other country where the "word" (in this case, nikon") came from.

30. I'm originally from the US and have pronounced it as Nigh-konn as well... silly me. In NZ, I've heard it as Nick-onn.

31. My guess is as follows:
    USA -> Naikon
    Rest of world => Neekon
    Nothing wrong with either.

32. As above, similar to IRAQ:
    USA => airaq
    UK => eeraak

33. Most people I know say it like Naikon but I think the proper way is Neekon ... if they had spelt the blasted thing as Nikkon, I probably would say Neekon.

34. I pronounce it 'Nicky'.

35. The bane of English (especially American English, or is it just American ?) for everybody else is that nearly every vowel is "impure" in that it is actually a dipthong, a combination of two vowels, not just one. A key tell-tale sign of a non-native speaker is that their vowels are "pure," single sounds and sound "clipped" to native ears. Of course in the American Southeast, the vowels have increased to what I call a tripthongs. As in "Haou aeire yoiu?"

36. Good thing you don't shoot Minolta.

37. I am one of the Knights who say NI! (kon)

38. I'd say it's real close to Nick-on. With basically no pause between the two parts.

39. To Lil; Catalonians surely pronounce "Nikon" correctly... they are our official importers! :)

40. When you study spoken Japanese, one of the first things you learn is the Japanese pronounciation of the vowels a,e,i,o and u. In Japanese, the 'i' of Nikon is pronounced with an 'ee' sound so the linguistically correct pronounciation is Neekon.

41. I am also one of the Knights who say 'NI-kon '

42. whatever it is, it has certainly made a nice and long thread ;)

43. bms

bms

I have gotten used to Nigh-con vs Knee-con from my native Germany. Who cares? I could be shooting Kay-none or My-nole-toh..... at least around Lie-kah, there is little doubt.....

44. It's amazing how many people consider Wikipedia the definitive answer to every question now. I do myself more and more these days, I hope it's at least partially accurate.

45. Not sure if it holds up in court?

46. I'm Korean but I've traveled through Japan and have talked with some about Nikon cameras. So, I know that the correct pronunciation of NIKON is "neee-kon". North Americans have taken liberties with this name and have mutated it into "nigh-con".

47. There is an old Buddy Hacket gag concerning the pronunciation of Yom Kippur.
    If you make $50,000 a year, it's Yom Kipper.
    If you make $75,000 a year, it's Yom KipPOOR.
    If you make $100,000 a year, .............................. it's Christmas.

48. It comes from Nippon Kogaku Kabushiki-gaisha (KNEE'P-OHN KO-GAH-KOO)
    It is a contraction and in Japan is pronounced KNEE-K'ON
    I don't know if my typing it makes any sense, but it is KNEE CON (as in con man). But, in the US it is NAI-Con. I suppose we could say it in the native style, but it would be like saying Kah-Rah-Teh as opposed to the Americanized Karate (sound like Kah-Rah-Tea).
    I think both pronunciations sound right in context.

49. Ray House

Ray House Ray House

In Japan in the 60's I bought my first Knee con. Mid to late 60's I belonged to several camera clubs in So. California and everybody pronounced Knee con. Seems like in the 70's it became Nai con. I still refer to my cameras as Knee cons...

50. James P. Jones is correct. "Nippon Kogaku Kabushiki-gaisha" means Japan Optical Ltd.

51. Nikon shmikon.
    How do you pronounce Uranus?

52. In Israel it is pronounced Neekon, so this must be correct.

53. On CNN International, which has a show sponsored by Nikon, it's pronounced Nee-kon, though I have always pronounced it "Ca-non"...

54. I've had Japanese people pronounce it "knee-kon", "nih-kon", and "nic-on". I think "Neigh-kon" is just an Americanization of the word. I don't really care how you pronounce it as long as you buy it from me, and not off the internet.

55. How do the Brits pronounce it? Whatever they say is good enough for me considering they spoke English first.

56. Nikon as in Icon
    Unless the yanks pronounce that "Eyecon"???
    But the Americans cannot pronounce or spell proper English anyway. I don't Harbour any grudges about that! I guess my judgment has coloured by my English Education.
    Happy New Year!

57. Hi,
    as frenchman, I pronounce in french...Knee-kon , as middle-west, but not Nai as in night....but my old F1 seems obedient enough...
    Happy New Year!

58. jbm

jbm

With a long "I" and a long "E" sound, I pronounce it "Pricey."

59. The proper Japanese pronunciation is NEE-KON (long vowel O). Same goes for HON-DAH (Honda cars with the long vowel O).

60. Yes, it is Nee-Kohn, I used to live in Japan and that is how it is pronounced there, but I still say Nai-Kon anyway. Toe-May-toe, Toe-mah-toe...

61. Responding to the chaps touting British pronunciation, I keep hearing Brits pronouncing the great Cervantes story "Don Quicksoat". When they talk about a single team with a singular name, they use a plural verb - Manchester United ARE going to play.... Someone really ought to teach those silly Brits some proper English, I say.

62. 'Manchester United Are going to play' as apposed to;?

63. Well, I am going to GIT my NIGHKON CAMRA and drive my JAGWIRE to take some PIKSHURES some where :)

64. Wow this it the top thread?! HA :)
    I do get a chuckle out of everyone's little jokes....James Glucksman's ""Ca-non" or Sanford Gerald admission to trusting wikipedia for example.
    Frank Revi and Dave Perkes whole Brittish/American tiff(come on we are all cusins anywho) is something to watch for.
    Happy New Year.

65. So when the guys at Nikon were looking for a D3X sensor, did they call up Sow-neigh or Saw-neigh?

66. Americans are slowly trying to destroy the English language with their incorrect pronounciations! I say Nick-on by the way, but I'm from the North of England.

67. How do they pronounce Nikon in Texas?

68. Albert...nevermind the name. I am not from texas, but I would venture a guess...Naah-kaown. :)

69. It's Nee-kon. Surprisingly it's pronounced correctly in Australia where people usually ape American pronunciation.

70. I lived in Italy for 15 years and this conversation came up frequently in reference to foreign words in an English conversation. For instance, Americans pronounce Capri as "Kah-pri" while Italians say "CAP-ri". Often times, Americans who spend a lot of time there will use the Italian pronounciation in an English sentance and it drives me crazy.
    The point of language is communication. While pronouncing the word with the Italian pronounciation may be correct by some definition, it does not enhance communication but detracts. It shifts the conversation or thought from "I went to Capri" to "See, how clever/culturallly correct/skilled in language I am?" It's pretentious, calling attention to one's self instead of to the idea one wished to communicate.
    Therfore, when speaking English, I would say "Nai-kon". When speaking Italian (or I presume Japanese), I would say "Nih-kon".
    Sorry for the long post. At least you didn't get me started on Panino/Paninnni!

71. maybe it's a to-may-toes/to-ma-toes kind of thing........​
    Kudos to Goerge and Ira Gershwin for that.

72. Here is one for you that may answer the question.
    In 1937 I beleive, Zeiss came out with one of the first range finders called the Zeiss IKON. Japan copied this flawlessly and called it a Nipon Ikon " N IKON". Now in business as NIKON.
    So there ya go.........:)

73. Nikon.
    Way to much spare time, boys and girls.

74. 'Manchester United Are going to play' as apposed to;?​
    Manchester United IS going to play... The team Manchester United may be made up of more than one person, but the team in it's self is a single entity... so you use the singular verb.... Right?
    My math teacher, who is Australian pronounces it NIK-on. He also pronounces squirrel in the most bizarre way taht i can't even spell it phonetically... so yeah.
    Anyway, I tink i'll start pronouncing it "KNEE-K'ON."

75. I pronounce it "not-canon"

76. Looking at the word you wouldn't think it, but Nikon is pronounced: "Mamiya"

77. Most of us English pronounce it "Kni-con" - with a silent k as in knickers.

78. "How do you pronounce NIKON ?"
    Loud...with pride and joy ! NEEKON ! (here in Europa)

79. Geez! It is amazing this topic was so prolific (or is it prolaefic?). Instead of going all linguistic on this forum please go out and take some pictures! Thas what im surely going to do...
    By the way, I speak spanish and we pronounce it Nee-kon!

80. I say it the same as Paul Simon sings in the song "Kodachrome". Soon people will be asking what Kodachrome is?
    Two thumbs up Rick!
    David

81. With Rollei, thank goodness, my work has been done for me.

82. I pronounce it, NI (as in Knight) -kon (as in convict). But its kind of funny, just this morning I learned that Edinburgh is pronounced Edinburrah not Edinburg(er).
    It's Frahn-ken-steen.

83. well I just checked the Nikon Japan website and in Japanese it would be spelled:
    ニコン

which is pronounced like "nick" (the name) and then a spanish "con" (meaning with). They are short vowel sounds, and it's important to note that the "con" part of it isn't pronounced like the english word con but like the spanish word con (meaning with). The American pronunciation is wrong because if that was how it is actually pronounced it would be written:

ナイコン
    which it isn't. Nikkor is also pronounced in the same way, though technically there is a brief pause after the "nick" before adding the "or."
    Also to someone who said the proper Japanese pronunciation is NEE-KON with a long "EE" I don't think that is correct as that would be spelled:
    ニーコン
    which is not how it is spelled on their website. I apologize if you guys can't read the Japanese symbols.

84. James G. Dainis

James G. Dainis Moderator

I don't know if I would rely on the Brit's way of pronouncing NI-kohn. Taking the tube to London's West End, one local told me to get off at "Lester Square". I rolled right through Leicester Square and never got off.

85. sorry, the pause would be before "kor" in Nikkor not before "or." It wouldn't let me edit it. Of course this is just if it were a direct transliteration to Japanese (based on what the english writing of Nikkor is). I have no idea if that's what the lenses are called in Japan.

86. My apologies for what follows!
    In the UK we say NICK-ON,
    In the USA you say N-EYE-KON,
    Now is there anything we can agree on?
    Ah yes, - both sound better than CANON!
    (No offense to Canon users intended. I have no wish to start a fl-name war!)

87. How do you delete a whole post when you accidently submit the same message twice? (As I did with my silly rhyme) The edit feature let me delete the text but not my name and the date.

88. "I don't know if I would rely on the Brit's way of pronouncing NI-kohn "

Argh! No, only ignorant and affected Brits would stress the 'I ' that way. And the East & West Ends of London, in particular, are not in any way representative of Britain as a whole (thankfully!).

The tendency for old frats in camera clubs to talk about NIy-corns and NIy-coors has not yet fully disappeared here, but many of those affected with such airs have gravitated to Leicas - which (at worst) they may pronounce as Lay-cars . Similarly, there is a (wrongful) common tendency here for Sony to be pronounced like sow-knee , rather than the correct way with short vowels - and for many other abominations ...... AC

89. Simply - "The Best" - unless it is a D3X which is over sexed, over priced and over here ! Strange how we used to say that in UK about the cousins from over the pond - mind you they have an excuse for not being able to pronounce the Queens English - "Queens" are something different over there and in order to find a well balanced american you have to find one with a chip on both shoulders - Happy new year to all the world from the remains of an Empire on which the sun never set.

90. If I could pronounce NIKON correctly,
    others would think I was intellectually -
    better than those on - another thread who use - Canon.
    Lets just be glad, that the name is real - and not phoney . . .
    And even more thankful we don't own a Sony!
    (Or should that be Soo-nay!!)
    (No offence to any "Sownee" owners who happen to be peeking!)
    Sorry - just couldn't resist it . . . .
    Pete.

91. This is probably one of the most amusing threads I've read in a long time. :)
    This all makes me think of how people here in the US look at me when I pronounce IKEA. They have no idea what I'm saying so I translate for them Aikea - - then they know what I'm talking about.
    I go through the same with Nikon all the time. :)
    Happy New Year everyone who celebrates it. :)
    Lil :)

92. I have a friend who is a photographer and also speaks Japanese. It's Nye- (long I, rhymes with rye) kon and Nik- (short I) kor. That's not inconsistent; anytime there's a single consonant preceded by a vowel, the vowel is pronounced with the long vowel sound. Double consonants, i.e., "kk" in Nikkor, indicates the vowel sound is short. Same with Nippon, which is pronounced Nip- (as in "nip it in the bud") pon. Only my British mother-in-law would say "Nee-kon"! (She also pronounces taco, the Mexican food staple, as "tay-coe.")

93. More apologies required I'm afraid!
    I once asked a young man in Japan,
    Is it Nick-on, N-eye-kon or even Nik -an?
    He thought for a while,
    Then said, with an inscrutable smile,
    "No idea mate - I'm on a day trip from Taiwan!"
    Happy New Year (now just less than three hours away from where I am sitting) to you all and, regardless of how the company's name should be pronounced, during 2009 may you acquire whichever of it's cameras you desire most!
    Robin

94. I don't know the "correct" way to pronounce either Nikon or Nikkor. Judging from the other posts on this thread, there is no worldwide consensus, and opinions vary by geographic area. Where I live, which is in the northeast portion of North America, the most common and generally accepted pronunciations of these two words are "Nye -kahn" and "Nick -awr."
    I gather that people in other parts of the world, including Japan, the UK and Europe, may pronounce it differently. Whether one considers such differences to be matters of correctness, or merely geographical variations in pronunciation to be noted without judgment, appears to depend more upon the extent of one's national chauvinism, or the strength of self-confidence in one's personal viewpoint, than upon the existence of any single universal, objective and invariable truth about such matters.
    For the person who commented about the camera name Ikon or the word icon (as in religious painting), where I live both are pronounced "eye -kahn." The conventional pronunciation elsewhere might vary, but I have never heard those words pronounced "ee-kahn", "eh-kahn" or "ick-kahn" around here.
    As for the comment about "the best," views on this are subjective, and opinions vary. The primary limiting factor in the quality of the photos I take is my own personal level of creativity and skill (or the lack of same), rather than the technical limitations of any of the equipment I use. For what it's worth, I own Nikon, Leica and Canon equipment of various vintages. The Leica equipment is well-designed, manufactured with premium materials and exceptional standards of workmanship, handles superbly, and is superior for the majority of kinds of photography that I do. The Nikon equipment is engineered to be more flexible and usable for a broader range of purposes, is manufactured with high quality materials and workmanship, and offers a professional level of durability. The Nikon equipment is preferable for applications requiring 35mm focal lengths from 24mm down or 135mm up, or those involving macro photography, but is less desirable to use than the Leica for focal lengths between 35mm and 90mm from the perspective of size, weight, shutter noise and handling. Given a choice between the two, I almost always reach for the Leica first. I am not suffering from the delusion that this turns me from an amateur into a professional photographer, or that owning a Leica somehow confers elevated social status because it is expensive -- I simply like using it more. The Canon equipment is quite well made, of excellent design, materials and workmanship, and handles well, but is somewhat less durable than either the Leica or Nikon equipment. If I were forced to choose only one brand, my personal preference would be to keep the Leica equipment and give up the Nikon and Canon equipment, but all three are quite good, and I would not quibble with any other photographer's preference for either Nikon or Canon equipment.
    Arguing about such things is not exactly a new phenomenon. Two thousand years ago, the Latin phrase was "de gustibus non est disputandum," which translates roughly as "there's no accounting for taste." In the more direct phrasing of the carnival barker, "Yah pays yer money an' yah takes yer choice."
    If you disagree, and are resolutely convinced that you know which pronunciation is the only correct one, or that there is absolute truth in matters of personal preference -- well, Happy New Year anyway!

95. Fun thread.
    I am from the states and I have always pronounced it Nigh-Kon...a buddy of mine from New Zealand pronounces it Nee-Kon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MI_8uhgB2E&feature=channel_page
    Nikon's own ads in English say "Nigh-Kon":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_Z6-u81PY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsDFBgFiQs&feature=related

96. I'm impressed that it took so long for this thread to degenerate into an anti-American screed, which I expected would happen much more quickly. Must be the goodwill from Obama's election!

97. if you axe me, I pronounce it "*second"
    Tom, Canon shooter since '79
    *I do own a 90sw nikkor lens and nikon binoculars
    goodwill schmoodwill

98. "mind you they have an excuse for not being able to pronounce the Queens English"
    I think the Brits are just really fond of the "eee" sound. They even added it to the word "aluminum".

99. I have a friend who is a photographer and also speaks Japanese. It's Nye- (long I, rhymes with rye)​
    I'm sorry to be disagreeable, but this simply isn't right. I've studied Japanese for a few years in school now, in addition to spending a semester there, and this is not how it is pronounced. The Nikon Japan website has Nikon written in katakana as Ni-Ko-N. As in "nick" + "on." If it was pronounced Nye-kon it would be written in katakana as Na-I-Ko-N. Japanese is a very consistent language with regards to the pronunciation of the syllables, so much so that there isn't actually a syllable for "nye" in Japanese but rather it is the combination of the syllables "na" and "i" (pronounced like the "ea" in eat) that make a "nye" sound.

100. you mean 'aluminium' don't you? al - u - min - ee - um
    OK I think we have established the correct way to say Nikon, now lets teach the Yanks how to say Porsche. :)

101. This all makes me think of how people here in the US look at me when I pronounce IKEA. They have no idea what I'm saying so I translate for them Aikea - - then they know what I'm talking about.
    I go through the same with Nikon all the time. :)

I have to confess, I don't understand this attitude at all . What purpose does it serve to make oneself intentionally and repeatedly incomprehensible to the people with whom one communicates? I enjoy demonstrating my superior erudition and savoir-faire as much as the next one, but surely that pleasure has its limits.
    If Nikon (and Ikea, based on their advertisements in the US, which use the standard American pronunciation) can happily learn to live with the pronunciation of their brand names preferred by some 300+ million consumers, is it really any skin off your back to do the same?
    When in Rome . . . .

102. "When in Rome . . . ." From what you were saying I think you meant "When in Roma . ."- rolling the R , and with gusto! ;-)

103. This reminds me of something that people used to say in Russia when I used to live there in the 1980s-1990s about the spelling and pronunciation oddities of English: "пишется 'Liverpool' а произносится 'Manchester'" ("it's spelled 'Liverpool' but pronounced 'Manchester'").

104. Actually, Alan, I meant Rome, New York. :->

105. I say N(eye)kon.
    A few months ago I had a phone interview with Sam Abell, and the mentioned the old Nikkormats, pronouncing the "Nik" as in "nick of time." Hadn't heard that one before.

106. Is this a good time to ask about Nike sportswear?

107. Well let's not get started about sportswear.......adidas (pronounce are - de - dah)

108. ...110 replies to whether it's pronounced "toe-may-toe" or "toe-mah-toe"?
    Meanwhile, there are dozens of questions from new photographers on the Beginner Photography Forum waiting for patient, helpful, accurate information. Not to mention a few unanswered and under-answered questions on the Nikon Forum.
    Last one to leave this party, please turn out the lights and be sure to leave a cold beer for me in the fridge.
    Semi-seriously, happy new year, folks. Y'all are terrific, if sometimes a terrific PITA. Lemme see if I can sum up 2008:
    • How to pronounce "Nikon".
    • 'When is the Next Big "X" coming?'
    • Anything "vs." Everything
    Oh, well. Beats working.