How do you knock ‘em out?

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have a question on workflow. When starting on single RAW files – it is easy. Process the first in your favorite program PS RAW, Lightroom, etc. then finish up in Photoshop if desired, then go to the next one.<br>

What I’d like to know, what the best way to handle multiply exposures to be merged in Photomatix Pro or in other programs.<br />How do I optimize the frames and in what order. <br>

The same goes for focus stacking. Do I merge them first or optimize the individual frames first.<br>

Thanks.<br>

G.S.</p>

<p>I can't tell you the best way, but here's what I do for HDR and Photomatix. First, I convert the RAW files in Lightroom. I start with the 'normal' exposure and do small things like sharpen, adjust WB if necessary, level (horizon, water, etc.), crop, clone out any unwanted spots (dust, small bits, etc.), but nothing major. I don't mess with contrast, color saturation, etc. at this point. Once I do the basics to the 'normal' shot, in the Develop module at lower left there are 'Copy' and 'Paste' buttons. I copy the steps I did and apply them to the 'under' and 'over' exposures as well. I think it's important that all the images are all treated/processed exactly the same before processing in Photomatix. Then I export the images from Lightroom to a desktop file.</p>

<p>To process them in Photomatix, I just drag and drop them from the desktop file into the Photomatix window. AFAIK, Photomatix isn't sensitive to the order they're put in the window. Then I let Photomatix make the HDR radiance file, and then process to suit via tone mapping, etc. When I've got the result I want, I save the file to a desktop folder, and re-import that into Lightroom for any final tweaks.</p>

<p>I prefer realistic-looking HDR, so I usually try an image each way that Photomatix offers, but now and again I get crazy and tone map one to surrealism. Since I have the LR export files on a folder on the desktop, the drag and drop loading and the delete key for results I'm not happy with are my friends.</p>

<p>Experimenting with Photomatix takes some time, especially at first, until you find a result you like. When you refine your workflow and technique, things will speed up for you.</p>