How do you guys use your ultra wide zooms at weddings?

david_boily

Hi all,

Over the last few months, I've read many postshere and on other

sites about the lenses that people use most often. Personally, I use

(on my 10D) a 28-70 f2.8 for 60% of the shots and my 70-200 f2.8 for

38% of shots and only occasionally my 20-35mm. However, I've read

from many people that their main lens is the 16-35 or 17-35 zooms.

How do you use this? I find that I have to get too close to the

couple, becoming a little too intrusive. So my question is to all

you guys and gals who use ultra-wide zoom for most their wedding

shots; Under what circumstances do you use them and why?

Thanks, I'm always trying to improve my technique. Examples would be

nice!

Cheers,

Dave

I love my 16-35 zoom. Wish I still had my 14mm. And I use it on a full frame digital.

It's great for those big church shots from a balcony like Todd said.

And I like it for shots like this one posted. Looks unimpressive at 511 pixels wide, but

print it in a 20" panoramic page and wow!

I use PhotoShop perspective controls to correct many 16mm shots so they don't look to

weird, yet maintain the scope of the W/A view.<div>007mXJ-17195484.jpg.eb993b0c595a7a73584472a100883d21.jpg</div>

Thanks for your responses so far. I too use my 20-35mm (plus 1.6 crop factor) for photos from the balcony and other panoramic style pics. I also drag aroung a film body to have full frame in case I need it. But my inquiry is especially directed to those who use this almost as a standard lens. Although clients like a nice panorama every now and then, they rarely choose more than one for an album. So why shoot so much with this lens? Am I missing something here?

I use a 21-35mm from Sigma. The best time to use it is during the dressing of the Bride.

However, I make sure I have 2 or more people in the frame to force me to be 5' back from

the subjects. I do not distort people!

The exterior shot of the church works well with wide angle. You can photograph like an

architect if you want and waste 1/3 of the frame as you match parallels.

I like Marc's picture above, but I don't think that a wide angle shot of the interior of the

church is necessary. Showing the altar with 2-5 rows of pews is enough. Not many

churches have pretty walls.

An overall picture of the reception area would be OK.

Then there is the cake cutting. I would be using bounce light here, and I might swivel

around to catch a row of 5-6 guests jeering and laughing at the bride and groom.

However, I would only take a cake cutting shot with a normal or slight wide lens. And, no I

probably would not have 2 cameras dripping from me to change cameras. I can change

position, standing from the cake cutter's point of view to see these guests if I dont' have a

wide.

I have only seen a couple of wide shots that approached a fashion look--and were nicely

done. Otherwise, it is a gimmick and it cheapens the look of the book.

When the bride and groom leave the church, well, a wide works fine. However, i will

always use flash for this unless we have fog, and even then, I take no chances. Although

the middle of the frame will receive more light in a wide angle view, this particular picture

will survive the critics: guests will be darker along the sides, the bride and groom alittle

lighter due to the flash.

I don't shoot weddings, but do shoot parties, events, etc. I use my 16-35 2.8L 90% of the time on my 10D for indoor shots. I just can't wide enough when I am in tight quarters with any other lens. Plus, I can hold the camera up over my head, zoom out to 16mm and get a crowded dance floor shot. Those are hit or miss, of course, but still can turn out pretty well. Here's one shot over my head, at 16mm, a 10D at ISO 800 and a 550EX flash.<div>007nBG-17215184.jpg.1abd8c639d9bff138d63bc7071449d35.jpg</div>

I like to have the option of photographing the couple with a wide lens, as they

approach me during the confetti throwing, I also, venue and light permitting,

try and get some shots with my widelux, which gives me 140 degrees field of

view. They have to be printed up quite large to get the most from them.<div>007nHi-17217784.jpg.103a5e2fb223b7f4f2074f99b44b6fde.jpg</div>