How do you charge for family photoshoot ?

WM

Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but

I figured this might be the closest forum for taking family

photoshoot. I am a bit unsure of what to charge for a family

photoshoot ?

This is basically what it entails:

Some posed shots, but mainly candid shots of the kid playing with

the parents, getting tickled by parents, sleeping, crawling around,

whatever, etc, and I can pretty much exercise any creativity I can

muster up if I want, including sequential shots if the opportunity

arises. I'll be there for about 2 hours, sitting around, walking

around, talking, whatever and I am free to shoot as I please of the

family of three. Dad, Mum and young kid (about 1-2 years old I

think).

Technical details:

Canon 10d, shooting as many images as I want, and then post-

processing on PS7 of JPEG fine images. I plan to burn a CD of about

50-100 images out of whatever I shoot. That's all. No prints.

Normally just involves crop, levels, saturation, sharpening and for

some images, B&W or duotone.

As I am not a pro, I have no idea what to charge, and as a newbie

who is trying to make a reputation, I don't want to overcharge and

become 'expensive' during conversations, but also want to be fair to

myself for spending my weekend shooting and processing (though I

always have a great time when I shoot !). Do check out my portfolio

before you make your comments so that you can kinda' tell what kind

of quality (or lack of !) of photos we are talking about and how

much I should charge from that.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks a million !

Keep on shootin'........Wee-Ming<div>008Udp-18315484.jpg.d2c8c81f3d0afb727fb1fcf6f00594ee.jpg</div>

Many photographers seem to wrestle with the problem of what to charge their client. What is really breaks down to is labor and materials, estimate the costs of the actual materials you will use and deliver, be it film or digital, such items as batteries, film, CDs etc. Then there is your labor costs, how many hours you spend preparing and shooting the event and the time spent in post production, which can add up with digital capture and running images threw Photoshop. There is also the reality of buisness overhead, the costs of advertising, the cost of equipment and maintenance of that equipment, these are some basic concepts you might consider, you are doing yourself a disservce to give you time and skills away to cheaply if you are serious about being successful in photography. Good luck, have fun.

Or you could become a dentist. I would really like to find one that works for 'fun.'

Since you cannot be a beginner and earn money at the same time [sort of like putting both feet into one shoe, no?] -- you have to make a business decision.

You need to look into setting up a small business (license, sales tax, cost of equipment, record keeping) and then based on a portion of the 'whole' expense, figure out how much two days of labor is worth to you.

Yes, digital involves no cost of film, but the cost of the camera body has to be a weight until you break even......

We have two different based charges ~~ Digital and Film. DIgital is very expensive ( we charge $125 per hour Photoshop time) Film is based on about an average $400 per 1 hour session. I think a lot of digital shooters are selling themselves short.. by not charging for the computer time*

I charge $150 for 15 4x6 prints and a CD of all usable images taken...usually about 50

$199 for 25 4x6 prints and a CD

$250 for 35 4x6 prints mounted in a nice album with CD

These are mostly candids with very few posed shots

I usually meet the clients at a park, their house or wherever they want and I usually shoot for an hour or so.<div>008Uv8-18321784.jpg.b75e1a729446521abbf75f6a21b4195d.jpg</div>

Wee-Ming,

Pretty soon you will have to start calling yourself a PRO!!! Your pics are great!

You can check out my website, and see my packages. www.memoriesnmore.net I started out much cheaper when I was using a cheaper lab, but my prices have gone up a little. For just a CD, I charge $250.00 (usually 1 hour of shooting, maybe 60-100 images). To get my foot in the door I offered discounted or even free work allot, and then I knew when I was at the point I no longer needed to I adjusted my rates. They're helping you establish a portfolio for a future website, or albums to show potential clients. So you will get to the point you don't need that anymore, and can settle your prices where you are comfortable. I think it's normal to change your packages a little to get to where you need to be to a run a smooth, profitable business for your region.

HTH,

Teresa<div>008V3k-18325184.jpg.948b2dfd7d72d05f7d9e2a719ea769a3.jpg</div>

Teresa, that is a DARLING shot!

Wee-Ming, I charge family, friends, and any previous wedding client $200. for a family

studio session. They get to see it on the computer as we go (kids LOVE it), we pick a

winner and I make a big print for them right there. Then I burn all the keepers to a CD and

pull a contact sheet.

Normally it's $500. for the same thing. $750. for going on location.

But starting out at $150 to $200 is pretty nice.

Thanks very much for all your ideas and comments. I have a rough idea of what to charge now.

I am a scientist by day, so I don't earn much, so my hourly rate is not that high.......heehee !

So, based on what I will earn in that 2 hours shooting, plus say about 5 minutes each for some PS7 retouching, that makes about 8 hours, so to round off, say give it 10 hours. And since they are doing me a favour for me to expand my portfolio and also use their shots for my own promotion, I reckon charging them about 5-6 hours worth of work should be fine. I am not providing prints, just a CD, so the cost of the CD is negligible.

How's that for a quick and dirty rationale ?

In the long run, I've got to get a business plan going properly, but as time is of the essence this time round, I reckon this might do the trick.

Thanks again for your advice and help, as always ! I'll post some pictures here after the shoot...........

Keep on shootin'................Wee-Ming

Teresa, nice shot of the baby looking at the sheep? doll by the way !

And Edward, love the B&W pix of the baby ! Huge beautiful eyes !

Something inspiring for me I suppose !

Keep on shootin'...............Wee-Ming<div>008VKG-18330484.jpg.7b97c0015fa52ed2f27cfb2ce27f6888.jpg</div>