How do you carry your DSLR in the city?

jay_l1

<p>I want to carry my Nikon D80 with 50mm lens. **But I don't want it to look like I'm carrying a camera**<br>

I do want to have easy access to the camera. Stylistically, it should also be as non-descript as possible so I can carry it around in Urban environments and have the bag blend with anything from casual, nightlife or business dress.<br>

With your suggestions I can do better, but one good find the Lowepro Terraclime 100 - http://products.lowepro.com/product/Terraclime-100,2115,20.htm<br /> .<br /> .<br /> ***What do you use? And for what purpose?***</p>

<p>9 out of 10 times the Upstrap http://upstrap-pro.com/ and I carry my gear in a photo harness http://products.lowepro.com/product/S-F-Vest-Harness,2029,32.htm from Lowepro. On rare occasions I use the Urban Disguise 50 Think Tank http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php or my LowPro Stealth Backpack http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279106-REG/Lowepro_2011710_Stealth_AW_II_Backpack.html.<br>

The Urban disguise is good for when I am dealing with commercial art and when I have to wear a suit. The stealth is great long hauls for location work.</p>

<p>For when I am on the move I carry my gear in a small plain shoulder bag with no markings. I removed the original labels.. I can carry the camera plus two lenses, filters , batteries etc. For a more static sitaution where I need the full works I carry a larger bag but again no markings. </p>

<p>Daypack, which I guess is a variation of "shoulder bag with no markings", above. Generally speaking, I no longer use the camera bag I've had since I was a kid. Camera bags are great; unsurpassed for their padding. Unfortunately, they look like camera bags.<br>

As long as the equipment is padded against knocks and pings, any bag will do. Pick a bag sturdy enough to take the weight of the load it carries. A good alternative available to people is to get the padded cells or soft, neoprene bags for lenses, and just use them with whatever blends in. If you take this approach, you can adapt it successfully to everything from corporate to rough environments.<br>

To wear the camera so that it doesn't stick out from your body, flip the camera around so that the pentaprism faces your ribs. Drape a jacket over the camera strap; put the camera on first, strap on your shoulder, prism facing your ribs, and then put on your coat. It'll ride on your side with no trouble. Helps to give it a little slack, as you will have to rotate the camera as you bring it up; so a little play helps. Also, it'll be more comfortable. Should reduce appearance, and also, any annoying bouncing or slipping.<br>

Most of all, don't feel self-conscious. Clothing and equipment look better if they're worn with confidence.</p>

<p>In a regular black Tamrac shoulder bag, no bigger than it needs to be to allow changing lenses without putting the bag down. If I'm using the camera frequently I may carry it in my hand. I don't make any attempt to disguise my camera, and I don't walk around feeling like (or, I hope, looking like) a potential victim. </p>

<p>For simple street shooting, I put my camera on my arm and then put on a long coat (typically a p-coat) take off the lens cap and go. My coat protects and hides the camera by my side and I can grab it and shoot quickly and then drop it back to my side. Its fast, inconspicous and cheap.<br>

I'll carry extra lenses in a padded messenger bag when needed. </p>

<p>I use an old beaten rucksack, like the ones student use. I can fit a small lowepro bag inside it. Combined with my casual dressing, I carry the international "sorry no money, here" signal. I take out the camera just for the time required to take a picture. Years of shooting film have taught me to guess exposure and anticipate composition without the need to see trough a viewfinder.</p>

<p>I carry a full sized slr openly in my right hand with the strap wrapped around my wrist. If you are shooting steet, a bag for lenses is worthless. I never hide my camera. Circumstances provide the information as to whether the shot is shoot able or not. I usually shoot a 50mm or 28mm on the street, but might use 2 bodies, color and b&w if I feel necessary, but rarely do that. If I do, I carry the second camera in a small over the shoulder day bag of some type.<br>

If I am out where mutiple lenses are needed I use a Tamarac day pack over the shoulder bag with room for another body and lenses.<br>

DSLR is OK but not necessary. I am thinking about a quality small point and shoot to take all this equipments place. With thier quality and versatility it makes sense. An advanced digital or point and shoot with good zoom and anti shake would make sense if it fits into a pocket.</p>

<p>Jason, why don't you want to look like you are carrying a camera? If you don't want to look like you are carrying a camera then don't carry a camera. However if you want to take pictures you will have to look like you are using a camera. Unless you want to do something like hidden camera which is neither fair nor ethical in my opinion.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but if you want to then read Luca Stramare's post.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't find any evidence of where Luca has shot and what kind of photos he has taken. No website, no picture posts here.<br>

<br /> I can tell you that I have traveled in places from Africa to Southeast Asia to Latin America to big US cities, and to Sicily, which was the one place I really didn't feel safe traveling, and I have kept my camera out all the time. I have photos from those places to show it. I'm not particularly big or imposing, I just act like I know what I am doing and know where I am going. A bag is no guarantee of anything, it just says that you don't want to show what you have to some people. Far better to let them know what you have and what are doing and act like you have every right to do it. Despite having been in the middle of major street crime in Palermo, I have never been bothered about my camera.</p>

<p>Anyone ever try a large-ish fanny pack? (I haven't, but it seems like it might work for the OP.)</p>

<p>I almost always carry my camera in a holster bag, slung across the shoulder opposite the camera. It would be very hard to snatch it from me without a bit of a tangled struggle. It obviously holds a camera, but I think it's otherwise fairly nondescript.</p>

<p>Jeff Spirer - to each his own - I made this post to speak specifically about *bags* and I'd appreciate keeping that the main topic here... you're always free to start your own thread. Please don't hi-jack mine. Thanks.</p>

<p>Jason, I didn't realize you were really trying to discuss bags. I thought you wanted opinions on how to "carry" a camera in the city. I would opt for the most simplistic way by carrying it in my hand. I have all sorts of bags available to mankind (my wife call me the bag man but she is the bag lady) but ultimately I just carry my camera in my hand. Speed is everything in street photography. I found that I miss a lot of opportunities if my camera is in a bag. </p>