How do I use a Univex 8mm movie camera??

sophiaeran

I just got a Unived 8mm movie camera as a gift and I love it! I just have no idea how to use it. I know how to wind it and press the button and how to open the back to put in more film but other than that I've got nothing. I have no idea if it's still useable, what specific type of 8mm film it requires, how to reset it, what "unexposed feet" means and how to adjust the light aperture over the lens. I also very much apologize for my limited cinematic vocabulary that may be causing some to cringe :( . I would love to actually learn how to properly use this if possible and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you so much!

Well, they are a little fiddly, but Standard (or Regular) 8mm film is not hard to use once you get used to it. There are several types of 8mm film gauges, but the one you want to focus on is Standard 8 (it's reel-to-reel).

This video, although very poorly presented, gives you an idea of how to load the film properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNaDU_R1hE (7:43)

In terms of exposing, I'm assuming that your camera has a manually set aperture. So you need to know three things: frames per second, aperture and film speed. I think there are a few free iPhone apps which let you meter for movie cameras. Unless otherwise stated, always assume that the shutter angle is 180 degrees (this is an industry standard).

Standard 8mm film cameras will shoot at 16fps if there is no other setting. Many of them allow you to choose anything up to 64fps - decades before expensive digital cameras allowed you to even have 30fps!

So, where to get Standard 8mm film? Have a look here - there is only one that I can find, and it's b&w reversal (i.e. positive):

Foma Fomapan R100 Black and White Transparency Film 411801 B&H

FOMAPAN Regular 8mm Film (33') ASA 100D/80T | Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto

As for processing:

Old Movie Film Processing | Film Rescue International ®

LittleFilm.org LAB SERVICES

" THE THRILL OF REEL FILM" ("For 25ft roll of Standard 8 / Double 8 B/W to be processed and Telecine (For film shot at 16/18fps only) to a AVCHD Data Disc For Editing or a DVD ready to play (Includes media) - £43.99")

It seems that buying an 8mm projector - hopefully one that does both Standard 8 and Super 8 - would be a better idea than paying extra for telecine or scanning. Have a look around.